Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Wisconsin
Options

2016 IMWI Training June 28 - July 4

Week 10-- Focus: The Split Run

MOOOOOOOOO -- I LOVED seeing your posts last week about your killer workouts…you all are RAMPING UP!!! Buring a hole in Strava and posting some on social media.  Now that we have a laser focus on all things Wisconsin, lets keep that up! It’s FANTASTIC! Remember……  #EN4Keys

This year the coaches made big changes to the OutSeason training plans, adding a significant "run durability" component by adding running frequency. So now as you head into the IM Full plan you will notice the following…….

• Split Long Run: in weeks 9 through 12, the long run is split into two Thursday sessions. The coaches experimented with this in 2015 and found they were able to run both runs a faster average pace and put up higher single day mileage, with less recovery cost vs a traditional one-session long run. Then then enables...

• Additional Friday Run: the ability to put in a run the day after the long run allows us to significantly boost the run volume, and therefore the run durability component, of the long course training plans.

• Saturday Pre-Ride Brick Run: this run, added to the plans years ago, remains a running staple.

• Sunday Post-Ride Brick Run: an extremely valuable session for helping our athletes dial in the critical first 4-6 miles of their running race execution strategy

So this week- let’s focus on that split long run and report back on how we do!  

Remember…..your race day run should be:

• Consistent

• Smart

• Effective

• Sustained Pace

PACING:

No one run will make or break your race but how you look at pacing will.  

Focus on sustainable pace.

RECOVERY:

Set yourself up like a rock star---

• Eat and Hydrate during your workout

• Recovery Shake immediately after

• Compression socks or resting in the first half hour window after.  Aim for at least one minute elevated resting legs per mile. i.e. 10 mile run, 10 minutes legs elevated, compression socks and resting (or of course recovery boots to which we have a discount on the team!)

Recovery sets you up for the weekend volume rides

****** You all are rocking this forum, keep it up. I’ve already heard from multiple people how much the feedback and daily training discussions are helping. You're building friendships that you will LOVE to have out there on race day. The more you know each other the more you might be able to help, and this is the beauty of EN. We are all one big endurance racing family! If you need ANYTHING from your trusty Race Captain…...I'm here! ******

Admin check in:   Make sure you are following all social media for EN and recruiting others to follow along! 

Comments

• Options
    Had a good last weekend on the bike... But had to sideline the run... Just didn't feel like I had it in me. It's been mid to high 90's for the last few weeks... Starting to beat me up a bit. I ended the week a little short of my goal (31ish miles). I was looking for mid 30's to 40... So not all bad. I was feeling the fatigue yesterday. I got in the morning swim with EN'er Rich Beatty at his neighborhood pool. The pool we normally swim at is closed for scheduled maintenance the next two weeks. He's really saving me because my swim is pretty week right now... Need to build some swim fitness fast!

Back on plan starting today. Skipped yesterday's run so it'll be a little tough to get in the mileage this week. I'll try to get in 7-8 tonight. Happy training everyone!

• Options
    Had to switch the week around due to the upcoming July 4 Weekend. I am taking Thrs & Fri off of work and riding from my suburban NYC house to NH with a pit stop in Mass on Thrs night, so the long run got moved to today. Legs, were feeling quite tired from the Sea2Summit adventure on Saturday and I was questioning the wisdom. Given the humidity (lots)

I made the wise decision to go TRP or slower for the entire run. Goal was to exceed last week's 16.7 mile run. So, on tired legs & lots of humidity (but thankfully no heat) I reeled off 18 miles!!! 

https://www.strava.com/activities/623431712

• Options

@Ed -  last week you threw down a very solid split run day then nailed the back to back weekend rides....the most important wkos of the week!  Letting your legs absorb on Monday is smart and adds quality to your down stream workouts for the rest of the week.  Keep Leading!

@Alan - Big volume weekend for you.........fantastic work man!

Love the opening posts/thoughts from Mariah!  I usually buy two pairs of shoes at a time and rotate them between runs.  Both are set up in Strava which tracks the mileage automatically for me since I post every run there.  I run my shoes 500 - 600 miles each but that is definitely not optimal given the cushion is gone way before then which could lead to excessive load/strain on my legs as well as injury.  I am a bigger guy I prefer the absorption the Hokas provide on concrete running.

Good swim and run completed yesterday. https://www.strava.com/activities/622691468

2X1s this morning on hills done as well: https://www.strava.com/activities/623414872    ....that one sucked...

Hoping to swim before the day is over.

Happy Tuesday all!

SS

• Options

@Scott - ANIMAL!  Thanks for leading!

• Options
    My week is off to a not so hot start. Traveling for work & LOTS of meetings/dinners/etc since Sunday night. Got in a 40 min treadmill run last night around 10pm when I got to the hotel. Heading home tonight and looking forward to getting on the bike tomorrow morning! Friends visiting for the holiday weekend - they're supportive of my hobby and planned some touristy things without me on Saturday morning so I can get my ride in image then they leave early on the 4th so I'm going to turn that into a long training day.
  • Options
    Nice work gents!

@ Scott - you avg. pace per mile is impressive

@SS - where the hell do you find all the time. You are a training stud!

@ Lindsay - jumping on the treadmill at 10pm after work meetings and dinner. Amazing discipline - I feel really lazy now

A little disappointed I didn't swim yesterday or today. Ran this morning and planned to hit the pool after work. Got to LA Fitness at 6 and there was a swimercise class going on. Not terribly concerned as swimming is my strength, but maybe I'll try after work tomorrow.

OK if you are like me and hate that there is no warm up in the TrainerRoad EN workouts, then here's your solution. Copy the EN workout to TrainerRoads workout creator, add your warm-up and boom, you've now added a warm-up to the EN workout. Need help, check out these step by step videos: http://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/201377834-Creating-a-Custom-Workout
  • Options
    @SS - thanks as always for showing me the say!
    @Chris - I think Shaughn has three clones, one that watches his kids, one that goes to the office and the third one splits the WKOs with SS@1
  • Options

Happy Wednesday Peeps!  

@Lindsay, no way I could pull the 10 pm TM run off like that......nicely done!

@Chris - thanks for sharing the WU information regarding Trainer road.

Rough, somewhat Dark morning getting through the trainer work today.  I am finding that as the longer weekend rides shift the mix of Fast twitch muscle fibers to slow twitch muscle fibers, the mid-week Z4/Z5 work becomes more difficult.  I consider that mid-week work to be super important as it helps me to maintain my current FTP in a period of placing LONG on top of FAST.

1X10'(4'), 1X15'(4') @ ~1.02. then 3X5'(3') @ ~1.12, then 12'@.76  Summary: ~130 TSS  Just a bit tough with the Z4 run work yesterday but possible with focus.......hoping to run a bit later today.

https://www.strava.com/activities/624536718

SS

• Options
    My effort was not nearly as impressive as SS - nice work!

1x8 and 1x10 at 90% and 2x4 at 100%. I'm always stronger torward the end of all my trainer WO. If I had a few rest days, I'd hit my numbers with no problem, so I never freak out about not being able to hit them as prescribed in the plan. I'm sure I'm not alone...

No run tonight as I'm gearing up for tomorrow's big run day. Deciding to run all at once or break it up as the plan states. Personally, there are a lot of pros doing it all in the early am....

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Options
    Great Job this morning Gang, no slackers in this group - which is keeping me motivated! Thanks

This mornings ride was tough (1x8/1x10@FTP, 3x3@110%), made even more difficult by the fact I got my technology problems from last week worked out and I was pushing the actual power, not 10% less - LOL

I had trouble keeping my cadence up today and averaged around 82 over the entire workout instead of the usual 85 - 87, I am trying to get to that magic 90 nirvana - I am chalking this up to heavy legs today. I do not typically have any problems with run cadence.

I too am skipping tonight's run, in favor of more packing and moving, need to be out by the end of the weekend.

I am planning on doing the AM run, but considering substituting Bike hill repeats for the PM run. Thoughts?
  • Options

@ Mike and Chris - I love the updates/thoughts on the WORK getting done!  Keep'em coming and damn SOLID job getting in the mid week Bike work.  Not easy to get done by any means!

@Mike - my preference is to choose the 2nd split run over the bike work unless, you feel a pending injury coming on in your feet, legs, etc. and listening to your body tells you that this could push you over the edge.  That second run, while tough and uncomfortable is your chance to drive continued durability into those legs, something that will really payoff on the back half of the IM run.  However, bike work is a great way to work your heart and lungs when you are injured.

Tuesday evening heat run:https://www.strava.com/activities/625033814

Wednesday morning Part one: https://www.strava.com/activities/625503640

Normal to feel a bit fatigued here if you did the Tuesday work.  Ran at TRP HR/pace first 40' then began to ratchet that up for the remaining 30'.......I got an unexpected break as it was only 75 degrees this morning and the dew point was below 70 (68) for the first time in weeks!

I'll deal with this evening run in the heat when I get to that, but for the most part my plan is to just check a box this afternoon as best I can.

How is everyone else doing this hump day?

SS

• Options

After a string of just so so workouts, I finally had a nice one.  I am unable to do the split run due to travel so I just did what I could.  I am not tech savy enough to get my strava map up here, but here are the details.

14.15 miles, 7:11 avg pace and average HR - 140. Total time was 1:41 I think.  

Couldn't be happier.  Keep up the good work everyone.  These weeks will make the race feel easy.

• Options
    Due to rehabbing and nagging injury I got in my first longish run in a couple months this morning...and finally on pavement. Kept it in z2 and felt great. I'm going to forego run #2 today in favor of getting in a few miles in the morning before another big bike weekend.
    Keep up the great work everybody!
  • Options
    This group is definitely keeping me motivated! Due to my schedule today, I wasn't able to break up my run, so I ran for an hour and a half all at once. I will try to get the split run in over the next couple of weeks. My legs felt heavy starting out (probably due to increased training volume over the past week) but I started feeling better the longer I went. Kept it in Zone 2 until the last couple of miles when I cranked it up to Zone 3-4. Workout info: https://www.strava.com/activities/625938294
    Great job, everyone!
  • Options
    I said I wasn't going to run last night, but then I read SS and Mike's post and thought I was slacking to much so I ran - team accountability baby!

Woke this morning and my left calf was a bit tender so instead of running, I swam. I don't think it's anything serious, but didn't want to push my luck - I've made that decision to many times and always paid a price. Swim went well, then again all my swims usually do - wish I could run like I swim..

Tomorrow I'm taking the day off work and heading up to Madison to bike 2 loops of the IM course with a few friends - pretty stoked about that. Up in the air on what I'll do on Saturday or Sunday - hoping my calf will be fine so I can do my long run. In the meantime, I make my kids help me roll out my calfs - they just love doing that, haha. Monday I plan on riding my first century in 2 years - yikes!

Be well and be safe team!
  • Options
    @Todd congrat's on your run
    @Chris good luck in Madison (and the calf)

Got 12 mi run in today (took lots more time than Todds 14 mi run, humbled)

Great work team!
  • Options
    Humbled by Todd as well. Had to miss yesterday's WKOs due to work, but got both halves of the run in today. First run just under 8 miles at 10:15; second run just over 4 miles at ~11:00. On the second one, in my wisdom I didn't think I needed to fuel first, and paid for it in the first two miles. Quick refill of calories, and the last 2 miles went closer to 10:30.

Great work, all! Train smart!
  • Options
    Kind words from the team about the run always feels good. Running has always been something I can fall back to. I am more impressed by everyone getting up and doing some of their longest runs to date. It is our daily acheivemets we should focus on. Times are relative. There is always someone faster. Let's keep up The good work. Before we know it our bodies will have adapted to this training load and we will feel stronger than ever.
  • Options
    Had to move my long bike up to Friday due to some storms moving in today. Looks like the rains'll be pretty heavy and I didn't think I'd have the constitution for a 4 hour trainer ride. I set off after work and was having a really hard time pushing any kind of watts to the pedals. I'm sure it was just some fatigue from the split runs I did on Thursday (8m am..7m pm) but I just kept going. I was able to finish averaging 195 watts at 19.2. I've really been trying to average 210 on these longer rides... sometimes you just can't do it though.

https://www.strava.com/activities/627026242

@Bill... Feel you on the nutrition requirements. The first half of my Thursday split I knew i was going for 8. It was a cool morning and under those conditions I knew I'd be just over an hour. When it's cool I don't take any food/drink. When I got home from work my wife was pushing me out the door to finish the second half before dinner. What difference a few hours makes. Second half was 84 with a heat index at 90. I thought I'd just do 5 so I opted for no water.... big mistake! I got to 3 and felt so good I decided to push it to 7 miles. Everything was fine until mile 7... wheels came off and I was stuck adding two 25 step walk breaks to control the red-lining HR. Lesson learned...well... until the next time I do something stupid that is...

Run 1... https://www.strava.com/activities/625451262

Run 2... https://www.strava.com/activities/626057122

Have a great training day everyone... stay safe out there!
  • Options
    big weekend, planned to ride most of the way to Cronk's house in NH in two days...
    Day one was 115 miles with lots of heat https://www.strava.com/activities/625895303
    due to a change in my ride pickup on day 2, I had to opt to stay & enjoy some awesome hospitality at the awesome Berkshire lake house of Brad & Heidi Marcus.

The three of us did a 48 mile morning ride https://www.strava.com/activities/626612152
    Brad & I went out and did a 2nd ride of 36 Miles https://www.strava.com/activities/626802681

Topped off with a 7.6 mile run this morning. Big weekend of swimming & running coming up!
  • Options

Wow, so many people posting awesome work and "sticktoitiveness."   Big weekends, IM loops, pushing through resistance!

BTW, anyone doing the Big Swell swim next weekend at Devil's Lake WI?  I will be there and would welcome some company for the ride and run afterwards.

Yesterday, got in a nice ride with training opportunities:  stages powermeter went on the blink (think water got into it, may need to find a new powermeter) and my front tire went flat on a downhill.  I thought it was good for me to have to ride without power, since I'm so used to having a powermeter now.  I also successfully changed the flat, but I don't think I won any kudos on speed.  My rear derailer is also off alignment and needs to be adjusted.  Wish I was more mechanical.   The big thing is I stayed focused and got it done.

Here is my ride yesterday.  

https://www.strava.com/activities/628056411

Here is my ride from today.  Had an other flat and fixed it.  This time I looked a little closer and found a little embedded pebble that I think was the culprit for both flats. I had run by finger around the tire, but this pebble was not so noticeable.  Had to do some detective work.

• Options
    It has been a very active training weekend. After taking Saturday as my 'rest day' and moving, I went to Madison on Sunday to ride the Stick & Loop. It was a very frustrating ride because I ended blowing my rear tire on a pothole and did not have a valve core wrench (thingy) to transfer my valve extender (Flo 90 rear) on to my spare tube, so I tried a patch kit - which only lasted 12 miles... Someone came along and had a chain breaker and I was able to use that as a sort of vise to make the valve switch. My riding buddy had front derailleur problems and had to choose one front ring for the last 2/3 of the ride (I suggested the small ring, 34) since we had not hit the hills. Consequently that slowed us down a little. I was also having trouble controlling my bike (Felt DA) with my front Flo 60 wheel and rear 90, it was just too squirrelly in the cross winds for me... this was a 60 mile day

Monday (today), I rode a local ride this morning and did 47 miles. I swapped in a Flo 30 for my front wheel and the bike seemed much more stable in the winds. (Yay)

All-in-all it was a good training weekend, I learned a lot and updated my bike repair kit. :-)

Oh! I also played around with my nutrition and tried UCAN, not sure it worked for me - or that I really know how to use it. Also tried a camelback, I liked that - but I only ran water in it and between the UCAN and the supplemental nutrition I brought, I felt like it was not enough. I really want to try Infinit in the Camelback, but I am really concerned about nasties in the bladder. @Chris, you use Infinit, how do you use it with your Camelback and clean the bladder and tube so it does not get yucky?

• Options

SS checking in.

~ 18 hours for the week Mon-Sun and hot temps to deal with for many of the workouts.

Sat/Sun Bike work: https://www.strava.com/activities/627740830

Sat was a tough day so, just worked through each minute, hour, interval as temps rose.  Ran 4 miles first at 4:45 a.m. when the heat index was 86 degrees  and completed the bike when temps were 97 degrees......long time to be dealing with the heat.

Sunday moved inside to the trainer to avoid the heat: https://www.strava.com/activities/628684400 and focused on short Z3 intervals.

Watching all your postings/work on Strava gang and all looks fantastic!

• Options
    Team has been busy!

Big bike weekend for me. Rode 3x for a total of 185 miles and ran 2x for a total of 11.5 miles. I'm tired! Want to get your opinion on tomorrow - my legs are super tired so I was thinking about not biking and swimming in the am instead. Then go for a short run in the PM - thoughts? Another words, skip the Wed bike.

Rode one loop of IMWI. Lessons learned: 1) was able to keep my power in check on the way into Mount Vernon. 2) as advertised, you are so busy on the bike, you can forget to drink. For some, it may be helpful to set an alarm to remind you take-in nutrition 3) there are so many short steep "hills" that no one talks about - for me, these are tough to control the power. The 2 big climbs: Old Sauk and Timberline - can't control my power, not enough gears on my bike. I run a sub-compact and an 11-28. I forgot how hard this bike course is, wow!

My numbers on the loop were:
    TSS of 172 - bonk zone!
    VI of 1.17 - bonk zone, but not sure how much I control given all the hills. Steelhead my VI was 1.03
    IF: .77 - race day, I will shoot for .72ish
    Avg HR 137 - happy with, but would like to see sub 135
    Cadence of 86 - I'm a 89/90 spinner, but given the hills, I'm happy with this
    Avg speed was 16.6 - disappointing

I tried to ride as if racing, but there were times I didn't stick with that philosohpy.

Chris
  • Options

@Chris - golden saddle time on the race course bro!  Looks like you are in a very good place 10 weeks out from the race!  I have a timer on my watch that goes off every 15 minutes reminding me to drink.  I am also taking in Power bar on the :10s and a gel on the :40s.  So, between watching my interval watts, my HR, drinking and eating, I do stay busy during the long bike session.

SOLID IF and V.I.   Low V.I. means you are getting efficient mileage out of the watts you are generating.  Tell us about your bike position, how much time did you spend in the aerobars vs. sitting up?  Did you take opportunities to stretch your legs and your back?  How many times did you pee during your long bike?  I am still not able to pee much during my long bikes meaning I am still behind on hydration.  I am spending more and more time in my aero bars with each ride and staying in them for the full length of each interval I pull.

Regarding your Wed bike question, you do need time to absorb a pop in volume.  See how you feel Wed, consider getting on the bike but excluding any Z4/Z5 work.  If you are just not feeling it, swim is a great option.

SS

• Options

@Stephan - HUGE saddle time there on that 4:50 ride bro! Great place to be 10 weeks out............looks like you are getting good practice changing tires as well. I had two flats on my first two 4 hour+ rides and was able to fix both but I feel like it is taking me too long......I think I am spending ~ 15 minutes each time I have a flat......

How did the day go in terms of hydration?  Did you pee?  Are you staying aero for extended periods?  Looks like no PM?  Are you employing the recommended intervals within the long ride work?

Posting your ride and laying it out there for all to see is the way to lead!  It will make you stronger!

SS

• Options

@Mike - nice back to back Sun/Mon saddle time!  Thank you for posting for the rest of us to read!  I do carry a valve core tool, however I am lazy and many times I will actually just use my teeth to unscrew the thing vs. digging around in the saddle bag for the tool.

Regarding UCAN, its not on the course so why not just use what they will be handing up on the course (Gatorade Endurance) to keep things a simple as possible for race day?  

Are you employing a Powermeter or are you HR based?

SS

• Options

Shaughn,

I have Celiac, so I am Gluten-Free - I can (and do) use Gatorade Endurance, but most of the other things on the course are a no-go for me. I want to live off the course, but I have not found an effective strategy for that, yet... I have used Infinit in the past, but mixing / making bottles mid-ride stinks. Open to any suggestions you have.

I am a Powermeter guy, my IF for this last ride was .76 - but with the 2 tire stops I think my numbers are a little skewed for the day. Like Chris, there is no way for me to get up those hills without burning a lot of matches - even with a 32 gear. :-(

-Mike

• Options

@SS - I stay aero for most of my rides, for now anyway. Once I start approaching 70+ plus miles, we'll see... When I get out of aero, I do stretch where I tend to stand up pedaling while trying to keep my power steady. However, I will hammer it to simulate going uphill too. Pee - I usually start my bike right after I wake up and after I have a cup of coffee, a cup of juice and an English muffin so I'm never really hydrated when I start out. That being said, I usually go 1-2x over a 50--70 mile ride. On yesterday’s 68 miler, I must have pee’d 3-4x. If you knew me, you'd know I tend to pee a lot too. So much so, that folks make fun of me, haha

@SB - no can do.  I already piss my wife to much as it is, haha.  Let us know how it goes and enjoy!

One more Lesson Learned for IMWI. I plan to modify the EN plan of ascending/descending hills by doing a lot more coasting while descending. There are just so many up/downs, that I plan to conserve as much energy as I can. Getting way ahead of my skies as we are 10 weeks out, but I'll reassess that strategy on the 2nd loop come race day.

Also, just compared my numbers to all my previous IMWI course rides - all improved since 2014!

• Options

@Chris - awesome job staying hydrated!  Modifying the plan - ok, but keeping those training rides ~.77 IF is good medicine IMO.  Training a few ticks above your race effort is the right formula if you can pull it off. 

@ Mike - .76 IF for long rides means quality work is getting done!

I am trying to run a higher IF on my rides, however, less elevation and blistering hot temps are keeping me in check so far....

SS