Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Finding My Way

Hi Gang - have been following EN's blog/podcast/eBooks since doing IMMOO back in '11 and after a few year hiatus, am looking forward to a return trip next year. Decided to give the trial a shot and thought I'd give some first impressions while they're fresh. Take this for what it's worth after 5 days of poking around.

Community - from the outside as well as what I now see inside, EN clearly has a great community going which is part of it's core strength. Look forward to getting to know "the team" over time.

Website / Navigation - let me just say, there's a lot going on, but I find myself lost/frustrated clicking through all of it. I'm sure it will get simpler with time but as a NOOB a few things are confusing like links to outdated content (Season Planning Survey), links I can't access (Training Plan Abbreviations, Understanding Workout Time, Quick Start Guide, New Stuff), and the overall navigation (What is "Home"?, The EN banner? Clicking my Username?, My Training Plan?). Again - I am 0% qualified at this point to really comment ... but this is my first impression trying to find everything. 

Training Plans - I do love the way the plan (even just the trial week) is loaded up and ready to go, no need to "plan" it myself and start second guessing whether I should do this or that. Just load it up and get it done. TSR is great concept too for how best to string it all together. Looking forward to exploring this more post trial.

Execution Guidance - I imagine this is covered in the Wiki but will have to explore more once trial is over too. In 2011 I pretty spectacularly screwed up my nutrition (hydration really), so would love to see some protocols for developing a simple nutrition/hydration strategy, perhaps some stretching guidance, transition, etc.

Anyway - thanks for the opportunity to check it out. 

djd

Comments

• Options

Hi David,

Thanks for your feedback. A few notes to clarify some things for you:

• The Trial Member Welcome Page is your go-to resource during your trial. Please make sure you've reviewed this.
    • If you are still in your trial period, we've purposely turned off specific portions of the site. This isn't at all about hiding this and that, but rather limiting the amount of down-the-rabbit-hole you can do to yourself during your trial. As much content as you've seen outside the site, there is MUCH more internally for our members. So during your trial we try to keep you focused on the stuff you should be paying attention to. 
    • We are, like right this minute, building out a cool Tour feature --> a series of pop-ups that will...pop-up as you navigate around the site and explore. This will probably be live next week.

Thanks and enjoy the rest of your trial!

• Options

David....welcome!  What you are describing is totally normal and I had the same issues, although I did not do the trial.....joined straight up.  It does take a little "tinkering around" with the site to figure it out (where to find stuff you want, how to post questions to the team/coaches/admin/etc).  But, it comes pretty fast once you dive in and look around.  

The best thing is that if you do something "wrong" or can't find something, NO ONE inside will chastise you.  You'll just get a "this is how you do it next time..." suggestion and an answer to your question from someone.  Lots of folks post stuff in the "wrong" place all the time....no big deal.  Not sure if you have access to the "wiki" during trial membership, but once you've joined, you can find ANYTHING you want to know there....it's like a huge encyclopedia of long course triathlon information, well organized, with links to related stuff, charts, spreadsheets, podcasts/webcasts, etc.  Pretty much any question you have has likely already been asked, and answered, and saved there.  If not, then you just post a question (in the correct forum hopefully!) and you'll get lots of opinions/advice from some very fast, experienced, and NICE folks who would love to help you.  

Jeff

• Options
    And.... if there is a problem with a link, (not working), you just submit a request through the support button and the team is on it like a bonnet. Hope you stay around to really see how much value you get for your dollar here in EN. Its going to blow your mind.
  • Options
    Thanks folks. Trial officially over so have been poking around the wiki a bit now and like what I see. Going to stick with it and look forward to diving into the OS full steam ahead. image
  • Options
    David,

I am on week 3 and have to say I felt very overwhelmed by all the info and links as you describe above too but definitely getting in the groove now and finding my way around. So glad you became official. I think it is well worth it so far.  Also, love your IM choice.  See you in September in Madison!
  • Options
    David - we are happy to have you as a member. Welcome to the family. You will be an expert in no time. Just remember, all good things take a bit of work!