Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

2016 IMLP Training WK July 6 - July 11

/ THE LINE WEEK 18

Prepare your mental game. In so doing, remember there will be cumulative fatigue building throughout race day.  So important to follow your plan, race your race and prepare for THE LINE.  

EVERYTHING before The Line is simply about creating conditions for success for when the Line comes to you.

A successful race = a good run. There is no such thing as a good bike followed by bad run, period. In our world, if you showed up with solid run fitness, had a "good" bike and a poor run, we will ALWAYS assume you messed up your bike pacing unless you are missing a limb or are in the ICU with an intestinal parasite.

If you think you can ride faster than we're telling you, prove it by running well off the bike first (preferably not attempted for the first time on race day!).

Ride your "should" bike split vs your "could" bike split. YourCould split is what you tell Timmy you could ride on a good day, when you're out together for your Saturday ride. If you say you "could ride a 5:50," your Should split is likely 6:00 and defined as the bike split that yields a good run (see #1 above).

Don't be a Caboose, be an Engine! Ironman in general, but especially the bike leg, is an exercise in consistency. You don't need straight-A's to win your day, you only have to show up with your C game to be at the head of the class. If you find yourself doing the opposite of everyone else, you're doing the right thing. Lots of people passing you in the first 40 miles of the bike? Everyone else sprinting out of T2? These folks are making your race day easier by showing you what not to do; it's up to you to resist the urge to join in!

Think you made the mistake of riding too easy? You now have 26 miles to fix that mistake. Make the mistake of riding too hard? That mistake now has 26 miles to express itself, to the tune of X miles at 17-18' walking pace vs X miles at 8-10' running pace. Do the math. How is that nice bike split going to look as you are walking/shuffling the last 10 miles of the run adding another hour and forty minutes to your overall finish time?

**ADMIN ALERT**

* TEAM DINNER: LAST CHANCE TO SIGN UP IS THIS WEEK- That forum is HERE

Please share the Four Keys Invite on the IMLP Facebook group and other triathlete groups, friends etc. 

* FOUR KEYS INVITE FREE TICKET LINK HERE: https://thefourkeysoflakeplacid.splashthat.com 

* SBR Sponsored FREE Lake Placid Swim Course Preview Invite info here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1586305851682325/

*** If there are any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out. You're almost their rock star EN'rs can't wait to watch you unleash on the Lake Placid course**

Comments

• Options
    wow - the training this week is so intense, no one is posting??!!!!
    I've had a bit of an off week, last week was restructured due to the long weekend with 115 miles bike on Thursday, 80+ on Friday, weekend of OWS, multiple runs per day and some easy bike spins with the GF.
    Swam Tuesday, biked great on weds & was short changed on time for an evening run, ran 20 on Thursday. Swam 5000 on Friday including 2 sets of 2100 (HIM Swim distance)
    fried myself on the 112 mile bike with almost 8000' of climbing & a solid 6 mile run afterwards...
    anyone else out there paying attention to the forums this week?
  • Options
    Your training blows my mind... trying to stay "in my box" with my training but sometimes when reading a training schedule like yours it is hard to not totally freak myself out. image
  • Options
    Had to modify my workout weekend due to scheduling conflicts and weather outlook. On Saturday ended up doing a shorter distance of swim/bike/run that felt good. Yesterday did 100 miles and 60 min run. The bike wasn't as smooth as I planned especially after riding in in Massachusetts last weekend which was really nice. I didn't map out a route just figure I would just keep riding north of NYC to get the miles in. Bad idea since I got lost once I got into an area I normally don't ride. There was also a street fair that was on the route that I took and had to walk my bike through. Ending up stopping more than I wanted to get back on track. Being exposed in the hot sun for most of the ride didn't help either. Once I got off the bike I had a pain on my left foot probably from tighting my shoe too tightly. Thankfully it went away after running a bit. On race day I'll remember not to make them too tight. The run felt good was able to keep the heart rate down and keep my pace where I wanted. Looking at Strava people are putting in some good workouts in. Good job.
  • Options
    some great work going on in here.
    @Roderick - sounds like a great adventure.. .good news is you got good mileage and a successful day! Looking forward to seeing how that translates on race day!