Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Maryland
Options

2016 IM Maryland Week 10- Split Run

Week 10-- Focus: The Split Run
Greeting EN Maryland athletes! THANK YOU for chiming in last week and sharing who is out there!! We are starting to get a group going :-) We have some WSMs in this group too!! :-)  Who else is in?? I'm sure you all are RAMPING UP!!! Burning a hole in Strava and posting some on social media.  Now that we have a laser focus on IM Maryland, let’s keep that up! It’s FANTASTIC!
Remember……  #EN4Keys
This year the coaches made big changes to the OutSeason training plans, adding a significant "run durability" component by adding running frequency. So now as you head into the IM Full plan you will notice the following…….

Split Long Run: in weeks 9 through 12, the long run is split into two Thursday sessions. The coaches experimented with this in 2015 and found they were able to run both runs a faster average pace and put up higher single day mileage, with less recovery cost vs a traditional one-session long run. Then then enables...

Additional Friday Run: the ability to put in a run the day after the long run allows us to significantly boost the run volume, and therefore the run durability component, of the long course training plans.

Saturday Pre-Ride Brick Run: this run, added to the plans years ago, remains a running staple.

Sunday Post-Ride Brick Run: an extremely valuable session for helping our athletes dial in the critical first 4-6 miles of their running race execution strategy

So this week- let’s focus on that split long run and report back on how we do!  Check out the wiki page for more info! http://members.endurancenation.us/R...it+Long+Run

Remember…..your race day run should be:

Consistent

Smart

Effective

Sustained Pace

PACING:
No one run will make or break your race but how you look at pacing will.  
Focus on sustainable pace.
RECOVERY:

Set yourself up like a rock star---

Eat and Hydrate during your workout

Recovery Shake immediately after

Compression socks or resting in the first half hour window after.  Aim for at least one minute elevated resting legs per mile. i.e. 10 mile run, 10 minutes legs elevated, compression socks and resting.

Recovery sets you up for the weekend volume rides
****** Remember to use the forum!  You're building friendships that you will LOVE to have out there on race day. The more you know each other the more you might be able to help, and this is the beauty of EN. We are all one big endurance racing family! If you need ANYTHING from your trusty Race Captain…...I'm here! ******
Admin check in:   Make sure you are following all social media for EN and Facebook

Comments

• Options
    Had a couple races this weekend, and did pretty well. This was my summer A race (S). I plan to go easy for a week, next weekend we will be in Phoenix. Then it's all hands on deck for the final push to Maryland.
  • Options

I did the split run on Saturday - it felt too easy, which will help when the going gets a bit longer.

Summary of my past week:

• I've been starting my weeks on Sunday, and mixing up the days a bit to fit my life.
    • Two times in the weight room, Mon and Fri
    • Two times in the pool, doing the Mon Swim on Mon, The Tues Swim on Sat, and an OWS swim on Sunday (a week ago)
    • 5 runs for 4 hrs 22 min. I dropped a planned Mon run to get some rest, but otherwise, its basically the EN plan as written.
    • 5 bikes/150 miles/10 hrs. One trainer FTP/VO2 session, one 50 min extra credit session with friends @ 0.85 IF,  the "Saturday" ride on Wednesday hitting the 4 x 25' intervals @ about 0.735, the "Sunday" ride on Thursday with a small group who ride the mountains weekly, up Mt St Helens - 4 hours, the uphills @ about 0.80 IF, 5800' of vertical - and a revery ride with my wife on Saturday.

Upcoming week features an Olympic tri on Saturday, and a concert event on Wed PM, so i'll probably delay the long run to Sunday.

• Options
    @Al , I swam this am with your IMMD competition James Soroka, we took turns leading/drafting and did some alternate slow/fast sections with each of us leading for a fast 1/4 mile and fast 1/2 mile section... Afterwards over breakfast I was showing him how to stalk you on STRAVA and I was like wholly shit Al's got a higher average swim/bike/run volume than I do over the last 4 weeks... That got him thinking .... Oh and me too!
  • Options

Fine and Dandy - let him burn himself out. I didn;t just start doing those volumes. There were three weeks of serious trekking in Nepal preceeded by four weeks of training for that, followed by 8 days at the ToC, 2 weeks in the CO Mtns, and then back to more mountain riding and tandem riding here in WA. I feel better at this stage of IM training than at any time since 2011, and my plan is to just follow the EN program, paying particular attention to hitting all the intervals as prescribed. I know you don;t do those back-to-back rides, and I have concurred with you about that. But this year, my ToC, CO camp, and then tandem rally experiences all have put me in a place where back-to-back rides have become the norm, and I hope to gain from that. Meaning, serious "Camp Week" work end of August, and Mid-Sept.

Who knows? Maybe I'll forgo the intra-EN weekly competition for top-ten honors, and make some of my workouts Private. I never get full credit on that scoreboard anyway, as it clicks over to a new week @ 5 PM on Sunday PST, so it always misses my final evening run. I'm actually ahead of Turby the past two weeks, nipping at Withrow's heels, but you;d never know it from how they display the week.

• Options
    Hehehe well we both know it aint all about volume now dont we ? He wont wear himself out but he'll be thinking about you just like I probably got you thinking about him... Like Steve and I ....

My Training for this IM... will include some back to back rides... here is my plan and week one is done
    4 weeks build , increasing FTP, V02, run speed work, longride 3.5-5hrs and longrun 1.75-2.5hrs
    1 recovery week
    3 weeks volume, lower intensity , split run on weds 2/1 -2.5/1.5hrs , back to back rides 4/3-5/4hrs
    2 weeks of race specificity ending in RR's , 1st week recovery until the weekend then Metric IM RR , 2nd week traditional IM RR
    2 weeks taper

• Options
    Looks like another dead forum.

If it doesnt pick up I wont bother.

Hope all is going well... since its quiet... no news is good news????

wrapped up build week#2
    14.75hrs, 1040TSS, 14.7k yds swim, 137 miles bike, and 31.7 miles run
  • Options

well, gee Tim, if I knew you cared, I would have detailed everyone of my 14 workouts this week. The good news is, I'm still all in one piece and fully functional. There is no bad news. This week featured back-to-back rides on Thursday and Friday, first up 5000' to the top of Chinook Pass, the second a totally flat rail trail to accompany Cheryl who is training for a 3 day ride in two weeks. Then, I threw in an Olympic tri early Saturday. The swim went superb - same time as I was hitting last summer. But on the bike and the run, I couldn;t muster any more than RPP and TRP. It felt good to race, though. Today, I'm slamming the split run,and hitting all the paces for that. So I think my build-up is putting me on the mark to get into some serious volume starting next month.

The damage: 2 swims, 4 rides for 155 miles, 6 runs for 32.5 mi, and two sessions in the weight room. Adds up to 17.75 hours and 960 TSS. CTL is @ 122, with a ramp of 4, TSB averaging -20.

• Options

Oh, and give our captain a break - she was a little busy this week.

• Options
    @Al , I do care..... We are here for each other... If all I wanted to do was post a bunch of crap about myself every day I would just open up a Face Book Page and Pose away.... This is a place for us to share like experience's as we embark on the prep for IMMD... Where we support , motivate, make virtual friends that become real friends when we meet at the venue.... My "dig" was in NO WAY directed to the Race Captain since she is NOT racing IMMD ... Huge congrats on IMLP Laura !
  • Options
    and alot of people are also reading and learning (without saying a word) from veterans like both of you
  • Options

Best of luck to you all on this race! Al, you are a monster! I want details on next year's camp at Al's place!

• Options
    one question, Al, I'm doing a hot hot race next weekend, you had some sort of pacing guide that I am not able to find... can you send me info on that? I think I'm good with the other info on such that is on the site...
  • Options

Posted By Patricia Rosen on 24 Jul 2016 09:08 PM

one question, Al, I'm doing a hot hot race next weekend, you had some sort of pacing guide that I am not able to find... can you send me info on that? I think I'm good with the other info on such that is on the site...

While I could look that up for you, it really is only applicable to Ironman. You are a very experienced racer, and for an Oly in the heat (this is Texas in the summer or something?), I'd rely mainly on RPE, starting out for the first half mile or so at what we;re calling Zone 2, then continually asking myself, "Can I hold this effort level until the end of the race?" Doing that should make it progressively harder, but doable. Alternatively, following HR is a great metric. For an Oly, start in Zone 2, and work your way through Zone 3, trying to finish the last 7-8 minutes in zone 4.

For an HIM, drop each those down a notch, or a gear, or however you think about it. 

• Options
    This is for Ironman Vineman in california this weekend
  • Options

Posted By Patricia Rosen on 25 Jul 2016 02:27 PM

This is for Ironman Vineman in california this weekend

OK, then, here is an Excel spreadsheet. It won;t really be of much use until about 36 hours before the race. You need to go to a weather site which will show you the hourly predictions for BOTH temperature and dew point (like wunderground.com) for the locale of the race, and fill those in. Also fill in your RACE VDOT. EG, if you are training with a VDOT of 44, but planning on discounting that on race day by the recommended 2 points, you'd fill in 42.

You can certainly play with it ahead of time, but remember, it's best to use predictions as close to race time as possible

EN Run Heat Pacing App_Leventhal Update.xls

Full disclosure - I don;t use this anymore; I simply follow the EN HR guidelines which are in the wiki. that works just as well, IMO.

I just played with it based on the predictions for Windsor this Saturday, with a VDOT of 40, here's what I got:

• Options
    Thanks, Al!
  • Options
    Tim, I understand your point and will make an effort to be more active. I do read everything, but often am not sure I have a lot to add. It is a me issue and I am working on it.

I raced IMLP on Sunday and used it as an expensive training day. I just posted my race report if anyone is interested in the details. I plan to take this week off almost completely. I do plan to ride Saturday and swim Sunday. The duration and intensity will be determined on Saturday based on how I recover. We are racing IMMT in 4 weeks so I am on a different plan than most.
  • Options
    I am really trying to manage the heat and humidity here in Texas. On my "big day" last week I rode the bike outside for 4hrs, but the run in full sun and heat index of 107 just wasn't gonna happen outside so I hit the treadmill. This seemed to work for me, but I would love any insight into managing the heat on these long training days. On this particular day I just wanted to get my mileage in so the treadmill was a good option.

Also, this week was my first time completing a split run - I'm not sure I am a fan. First run was outside & second run was on a treadmill. I was able to hit my paces but on the second run I felt nauseous starting into the third mile. I was on a treadmill @ the Y & every time I looked at the flashing lights or TV's I got dizzy. I finished it but it was not pleasant. Any thoughts?