Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Maryland
Options

2016 IM Maryland Week 11- Big Day!

Week 11 - Another "Big Day"
Hey Maryland crew!! I apologize for the delay in my post- I was wrapped up in Lake Placid and just got home yesterday...but here is it!!
BIG shout out to everyone in this group!! LOVED seeing your posts about last weeks training! We are so fortunate to have such an awesome team with a TON of knowledge and most importantly MOJO!!! Who else is out there???
So this week…...Second “Big Day”

Things to pay attention to

Nutrition

Watching your pacing (are you making mistakes early on?)

Don’t “rest” in-between but no need to go full fledge tri geek and set up transitions where you sprint from event to event

What coaches want to see this week is us talking about how we are going to prepare. Post your “big day” check list here, a chance to even practice your “race plan” and “race report”

Let’s not wait until after the big day to start discussing what we did or didn’t do. Lets plan it out, write it out and discuss it now so we can help each other. Then debrief with this awesome Crew after the big day on what worked and what didn’t.

This will set you up for your race rehearsals closer to race day.

****There is still time to find a friend who is racing Canada or your other IM events and give them the best gift you could give someone— no not a power meter, a free 30 days of Endurance Nation. Sharing is caring! (you get a Free month when they sign up also)**** give them friend@endurancenation.us email and we take care of the rest!

Ya’ll are EN rock stars…. soooo what’s on your mind?

Comments

• Options

This summer, I'm emphasizing molding my training schedule - until six weeks to go - around spending time in the saddle or in the lake with friends and family, Specifically, I have a weekly ride in the local mountains (sea level to 5-6000') on Thursdays, I'm helping my wife train for a three day bike ride in those same mountains, coming up in ten days, and swimming with her once a week on the lake on Sat or Sunday. So those priorities result in a lake swim tomorrow, along with the split long run, then a 68 mile organized ride on Sunday, with an hour run happening after we drive back home (about 30').

I'm hitting all the workouts as prescribed (in fact, this week getting an extra credit bike on Thursday), but I just couldn't juggle everything to make that Big Day happen. End of August, though, through to race week, I'll be locked in to the Camp Week rides and long runs, hopefully close to the days the coaches assign.

Yesterday's mountain ride took us up through a forest, providing shade from the sunny temps in the low 80s >> mid 70s, to the alpine regions at the foot of the glaciers. Just about perfect conditions. 2.5 hours @ about 0.85 >> 0.75 IF for the trip up from 800' to 5100', the last 11 miles all at 5-7% steady grade.

• Options
    @Al those are some nice looking mountain rides I been following on STRAVA... Good Luck to Cheryl on her ride....

IMMD is attracting a few more folks in the house... I also know of 2 non-EN - NH peeps that recently signed up....

Wrapped up the 3rd week of my build block... 16.5hrs , 1058 TSS , 13.5k yds swim, 155 miles bike, and 35 miles run.... Lots of intensity and I was starting to feel it this week... One more week of this build block and then a recovery week ending in the CascoBay SwimRun ... The next 3 block is going to be more about volume than intensity but I'm throwing the Rev3 Old Orchard Beach HIM on the schedule in the middle of that block, so its going to be more like a big week, mini-taper HIM race, big week block!
  • Options
    @Al and @Tim - Nice work.

I took off Monday through Friday to recover from IMLP. I started back with a run on Saturday. It was a slow run just to see how the legs and heart rate responded. The legs felt fine, but the heart rate was a little high for the effort. It may have been the heat/humidity but it is something I will keep an eye on for the next few weeks.

Sunday was a one hour open water swim.

The focus for me this week is getting back on a sensible eating plan (as I made daily poor choices following IMLP) and monitoring my recovery. I should have one long bike ride in me before the taper for IMMT.
  • Options

The damage this week past week,,, For starters, I feel I am teetering on the edge of doing too much. While my sleep and mental attitude are OK, I am having trouble maintaining my weight, having a tough time trying to stay above 146#/58.5 body water %. Also, I have been noticing occasional slight productive  cough - I need to be aware of the risk of getting a full blown URI. So managing rest and recovery is at the top of my training plan this week.

Here are the stats from WKO: PMC - yesterday, my ATL and CTL reached season highs of 158 and 128 respectively. My TSB is -30 (a low I've hit 3x in the last month), with a ramp of 4.3, weekly TSS of 1084.

• Swim: 4 sessions, 3.2 hrs, 9500 meters
    • Bike: 4 days, 10.1 hrs, 151.5 mi, 12,000' climbing, OA IF 0.73
    • Run: 6 sessions, 5.25 hrs, 34.5 mi, 0.83 IF
    • Weights: only one session, but 15 min daily stretching and core work continues 

Swim and run were season highs. My upcoming week features two more mountain rides: 72 miles/6100' up the east side of Mt St Helens on Thursday, OWS Friday, Split Long Run Saturday, 40 miles (but sea level to 5200') up Hurricane Ridge in Olympic Nat'l Park on Sunday. Then the following week is a breather, as I will be traveling to Omaha for the USAT SC Nat'l Champs, and thus get 4 days of "rest" (One of which will be the race). Then, the Real Race Prep begins - four weeks of race specific work, and two weeks of race specific taper.