Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Louisville
Options

2016 IM Louisville- Week 11- Split Long Run

Week 10-- Focus: The Split Run
Greetings EN Louisville athletes! I apologize for the delay in my post this week- I was in Lake Placid and just got back yesterday. BUT here it is!!!
THANK YOU for chiming in last week and sharing who is out there!! We are starting to get a group going :-) I LOVED seeing your posts last week…….you all are RAMPING UP!!! Burning a hole in Strava and posting some on social media.  Now that we have a laser focus on IM Louisville (a a couple of others as well), let’s keep that up! It’s FANTASTIC!
Remember……  #EN4Keys
This year the coaches made big changes to the OutSeason training plans, adding a significant "run durability" component by adding running frequency. So now as you head into the IM Full plan you will notice the following…….

Split Long Run: in weeks 9 through 12, the long run is split into two Thursday sessions. The coaches experimented with this in 2015 and found they were able to run both runs a faster average pace and put up higher single day mileage, with less recovery cost vs a traditional one-session long run. Then then enables...

Additional Friday Run: the ability to put in a run the day after the long run allows us to significantly boost the run volume, and therefore the run durability component, of the long course training plans.

Saturday Pre-Ride Brick Run: this run, added to the plans years ago, remains a running staple.

Sunday Post-Ride Brick Run: an extremely valuable session for helping our athletes dial in the critical first 4-6 miles of their running race execution strategy

So this week- let’s focus on that split long run and report back on how we do!  Check out the wiki page for more info! http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=Understanding+the+Endurance+Nation+Split+Long+Run

Remember…..your race day run should be:

Consistent

Smart

Effective

Sustained Pace

PACING:
No one run will make or break your race but how you look at pacing will.  
Focus on sustainable pace.
RECOVERY:

Set yourself up like a rock star---

Eat and Hydrate during your workout

Recovery Shake immediately after

Compression socks or resting in the first half hour window after.  Aim for at least one minute elevated resting legs per mile. i.e. 10 mile run, 10 minutes legs elevated, compression socks and resting.

Recovery sets you up for the weekend volume rides
****** Remember to use the forum!  You're building friendships that you will LOVE to have out there on race day. The more you know each other the more you might be able to help, and this is the beauty of EN. We are all one big endurance racing family! If you need ANYTHING from your trusty Race Captain…...I'm here! ******
Admin check in:   Make sure you are following all social media for EN and Facebook

Comments

• Options
    Things I learned on the Split run days so far:
    - I run way better in the evening. In the morning I am half awake slogging through miles. but in the afternoon my legs have a lot more pop to them. This also led me to going out fast and having to remind myself to get back to a durability pace.
    - Executed Nutrition on the first run but neglected it on the second run of the day. Running in the heat without hydration was dumb!

Is there really a Sunday post ride brick run? It's not showing up on my schedule if there is.
  • Options

@ Steven- I should have clarified- Not all plans have a post run on Sundays- only the beginner plan does. 

• Options
    Steven. Your take on the split run is interesting to me. My morning runs usually start pre-4:30 am. While I feel much stronger in the am run than the pm run (my legs feel dead in the pm), my splits are a bit better than the am. Amazing to me that how I feel has no correlation to the speed in which my legs are moving (even at a similar HR). I read once that the afternoon is the best your body performs. Too bad I can't test that more often, given that kids, wife, work and life get in the way!!
  • Options

Laura, my Vdot is only slightly above the number that requires the Sunday run so I have not been doing it.  What do you think your total run miles are?  This week mine will be about 24.  Hoping that is enough??  I cant imagine doing another long run on Sunday.  I see that on the schedule and get scared.

Julie

• Options

My 1st run of the split was close to TRP but the 2nd run was closer to LRP and then the Friday run was started at Z2 and finished closer to TRP. Soooo I was just a little below the planned pace on all of these runs.

• Options
    Hey Julie - I wouldn't worry about the run volume. It sounds like you have decent running experience so you'll be fine come race day. The EN plans all emphasize run durability to get your body used to running under duress. This helps you run 26.2 on race day without slowing down, but it's a lot of hard work.

Honestly, I cannot hit every workout -- too many constraints with family and work -- so that impacts overall fitness. I have to prioritize on where I need the most improvement (which right now is the swim). And come race day, it's about execution, not fitness. We take whatever level of fitness we have on October 9 and execute the best race we can that day. If it means walking a bit at the end, that's okay ... we'll walk just a bit faster than everyone else around us.
  • Options
    David – I did okay until this morning. A lot of times when I don’t hit the target heart rate I can trace it back to poor nutrition or hydration, but now I think it's just cumulative fatigue. I hit zone 2 for the “out” portion of this morning's run, but couldn’t get into zone 3. I tried some pick-ups with 5K-type speed but it just wasn’t happening. I suppose when that happens we can only focus on recovering well for the next workout.
  • Options
    3 hours today at a good ABP pace. Yesterday's ride didn't go so well - I bonked after the 3rd interval and couldn't get it going after that. Glad I cut it short and rested up - today was much better!
  • Options
    So, I am recovering from a medial knee issue, and do not do the split runs, and do the entire run in the pool. It has been pretty enjoyable thus far!! I know the guard staff well, they play great music and I've had the opportunity to get to know a crew of people I would not have crossed paths with - mostly the 80 and up crowd, who shower me with much mojo and love - it's like I have a new set of grandparents. WIN!

My Sunday runs off the bike are getting stronger and I am always working on the consistent, smart, effective and sustained pace (thanks for that Laura!) {...and even the runs off the bike on Wednesday and before the bike on Saturday}.

I would really love to open a conversation about nutrition - who is eating and drinking what.

My husband is also doing IMLOU, but following the Fink book, so I have the family honor to defend to sail across the finish line before him.

Cheers everyone!
  • Options
    Great work Elizabeth! Finding a way to get it done AND grandparents wahoo!

Long rides (5 to 6 hours... I'm a little ahead of you guys because I'm doing Wisconsin first)I have a Powerbar gel every hour... During the ride I also eat two Natures Bakery fig bars... And a salted caramel Honey Stinger waffle... I drink Gatorade Endurance... Usually a bottle and a half to 2 bottles/hour depending on heat. If it's really hot I'll add A few Salt Stick capsules.

Off to Wisconsin for a camp weekend tomorrow... Wish you all a great weekend of training!
  • Options
    @Ed. Have a great weekend and be safe!
  • Options
    Thanks Kyle... Can't wait to get out on the course!
  • Options
    My nutrition plans are as follows:

Over the last year, I have worked very hard at becoming fat adapted. In zone 2, if I am burning 10 calories a minute, only 2 of them are carbs. So my overall carb needs seem lower.

This year, I have done the majority of my training including intervals in a fasted state. It is only in the last month or so with longer bikes that I am adding in calories.

What I want to do in the race makes me a little nervous because nothing I want to use is on the course. However, my plan for this weekend is:

Pre workout - probalby hard boiled eggs and maybe a primal shake (mixed protein, fat and carbs)

One the bike, I will have 2 servings of Ucan which is a slow release carb source. this will be about 200 calories. In order to stay fat burning, I have to be careful not to have too much spiking carbs. I will likely have this about 1 hour into ride and an hour before it ends.

At about hour 2, I will have a lara bar cashew. I will also have a chia gell by 33 shakes. (Very yummy)

I drink alot of water and will have 1 or 2 nunn mixed in. I drink NO gatorade or sugar drinks.

I will have a gel as a backup but I have not needed them even when doing a half iron.

So my total calories for my 6 hours will be about 400 before I start, and about 400 to 600 for the next 6 hours. If I am really hungry, I may add something else in.

As training has ramped up over the last few weeks, I have been eating moe carbs in general and I am at about 30% of cals as carbs. However, these are all unprocessed.

In general I feel great. I am going to retest in a week or so to reconfirm my carb needs at different zones to make sure I am set for my longer workouts.

FYI - I am 51 female and weigh about 135.

I know this seems a bit complicated and I have to figure out if it will work for Ironman. I will have to keep some things in my special needs bags.

Love to hear if anyone else eats like this.
  • Options
    Keep in mind your goal is to exit the bike well fed and hydrated. How many calories will you burn in the swim and bike? That's the question... If you're taking in water instead of Gatorade you're going to need to eat up. Gatorade alone will replace about 750 calories for me.
  • Options
    You don't want to cut your calories too short. My nutrition plan is usually targeting 360 calories an hour on the bike so I've always used infinit as my liquid source (250 calories) and a powergel once an hour (110 calories). Last 30 minutes of the bike I usually switch to water so around 1,800 calories on the bike alone...has always worked for me in the past...trained my stomach to handle it. On the run, aim for 24oz of GE and Powergel every 45 minutes so around 300 calories an hour. I probably easily consume 3,000 calories during the race....not counting breakfast, drinks, and gel pre race. I'm also a lightweight at 140lbs.
  • Options

Thanks for all the nutrition feedback.  My comments were more focussed on fueling for this weekends Big day.  I don't need as many calories on the bike because I am only running an hour.

However, I do think I will need to add more calories on the bike for sure at Ironman.  Do I really need to eat that much if I am only running an hour this weekend?  

I have a very sensitive stomach and my body seems very sensitive to sugar so I do not like the endurance liquids.  Ucan is no sugar flavor so I like that alot.  May just plan on drinking a lot more of it.  

Why do people like the waffles so much? They sound yummy but I have not tried one yet.

• Options
    @julie... Train like you race... Don't think you'll just be able to add more calories for race day... That's where the trouble can start. Prove you can eat your race day calories in training.
  • Options
    I went through the IM advanced plan and add all the workouts to TrainingPeaks. I knew they had made changes, specifically the split runs, but I totally forgot to change it in my TrainingPeaks (that I work off from pretty exclusively). I wish I would have checked and split the run yesterday due to my schedule. Oh well! Needless to say, I've spent some quality time in TrainingPeaks yesterday/this morning making some updates.

Have a great remainder of the week everyone!
  • Options
    Hi everyone. Hope everybody enjoyed the Split Run yesterday, and according to Strava, lots of nice work going on. Cause of some travel and dropping kids off at camp, my "Big Day" has been moved a bit to Monday. For those that tackle it as scheduled tomorrow, I'll be very interested in hearing about thoughts, impressions, the good and the bad! All be safe and enjoy the Big Day.
  • Options
    Lots of run volume happening this week! Which led to me sleeping in this morning for some much need recovery!

Looks like, I'm moving my big day to Sunday and doing the Swim portion on Saturday instead. I can't find a pool that doesn't open before 8am on Sunday and the logistics of pool to bike destination are a pain anyways. Everyone have a great weekend!
  • Options
    I guess I should chime in here, finally. I've been lurking and reading about the great work that is getting thrown down, but so far have not chimed in.

I'm in for Louisville this year. It will be my second IM; I did Chattanooga last year for my first. Training has been ok, but not as consistent as it needs to be. I'm traveling this weekend with the family, but should get at least part of the big day done. We will be in Western Maryland near Deep Creek Lake for the weekend, which is very hilly (I will ride part of the Savageman course, if anyone is familiar with the race or area), so my ride will be on a road bike rather than my tri bike. It is what it is for the weekend, so I will get what I can done!

Keep up the good work and I look forward to reading about everyone killing it this weekend!