Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Maryland
Options

Running and Biking such a flat course

I have never done a race which looks as flat as Maryland, I was wondering if there is anything I should do with run gait to mix it up. While I don't enjoy large hills they usually give you a chance to change stride and use some different muscles.

Same goes with the bike, I know to get out of the saddle to stretch and bring in different muscles but what are peoples thoughts on that.

Comments

• Options
    IMO Plan those stretch/ nutrition breaks methodically, as you probably are. 15 min alarm is a good idea. Start doing it early, pays off late in ride. My biggest challenge with flat courses is the endless streches of road/mental game. Consider a RR with 4-5 repeat loops. Seeing that stupid road sign or empty bottle 4-5 times over 5+ hours forces you to stay strong and in "the box" -good mental prep.
    Run gait- be a metronome all day long if you can. Again IMO. Go crush it!
  • Options

I have my bike computer set to beat every 15 mins as is to remind me to drink, but good idea for the stretch/move at same time.

• Options

use a lot of body glide. you will be in one position for a long time. repetitive motions can tear your skin up and make for a miserable run.

• Options

Learning to hold watts on a flat course is as much of a specialty as learning to climb and descend on a hilly course, both are very different disciplines requiring different training techniques to master and succeed.

Short of biking on the actual course itself, long trainer rides can be your friend in terms of preparing for a long flat IM course ride by employing intervals to hold steady watts at IM pacing targets or a couple of ticks higher.

SS

• Options
    In my experience, flat bike courses require more adaptation than flat run courses. I'm doing IMNC, which has like 1/3 the elevation gain of IMFL. Lots of trainer rides with head up watching TV/computer, building lower back and neck stamina. You're training focus is to be able to stay aero at Miles 80-105 while everyone else is sitting up in misery. Stand and stretch every 15 minutes during the race. Peeing is a big challenge without downhills. Legs straight, hips up high, coast for 10 seconds, once the cork is popped, you can start peddaling again. Probably the only time you'll ever pay $800 to wet your pants on purpose.
  • Options
    Maryland has the potential to be a very windy course. If the wind is mild, it is a very fast course. You can also face a headwind for the majority of the ride. If we have one of those days, staying aero becomes even more important. I agree with the prior comments and recommend long trainer rides if you do not have a flat course for training. We are about two hours away from the MD course and plan to ride it at least once before the race as well as riding in lower DE (very flat).
  • Options
    Great question, Steve...and good answers here. I suggest you get used to riding your goal effort / watts in 3 different cadences....95, 90 and 85 rpms. It's nice to have a bit of variety in your repertoire even if the course doesn't demand it.

And x100 on the standing up. I recommend every 30 minutes (30, 60, 90, etc). Shift "harder" by two or three gears, and stand up for 10 to 20 pedal revs.

Might even be worthwhile practicing your stretching and position changes when riding now, safely, without others around you.