Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Maryland
Options

2016 IM Maryland Week 17- EN4KEYS

#EN4KEYS WEEK 17
@Al and Tim- You WSMs are awesome with your posts!! Thank you for sharing and keepin the mojo alive!! So let's here it crew- How was week 16??? And Happy Labor Day all!
Well Maryland Crew we are 4 weeks out from race week and there are 4 Keys of Racing within EN. What sets EN athletes drastically apart from other athletes is the ability to know to race. You're putting in the training….. Recording your information…..sometimes discussing with the group (lets do more of that team!) but as you wind down your training in the next couple weeks you need to put your head in a space to have the 4Keys down pat. Even if you have been with EN for awhile, there is always something to learn or something you can teach to help someone else's race experience.
Not to reinvent the wheel here is a mixture of coaches perspective and a couple other race captains:
X - Race day is about execution NOT fitness
Theme for this week is important.  Start visualizing your upcoming RR2 and Race Day in terms of simply Executing your Fitness:
The majority of athletes on race day are fitness-focused (look at my T-shirt, look at my abs/veins/etc, look at how fast I can go in the first hour of the bike, etc.). They think of race day as the application of their fitness to the course, the distance. They are wrong. Race day is about the application of sound execution skills to a long day. Your fitness is just along for the ride. Through our observation of many, many races we can tell you that fully 90% of athletes out there do not understand this and do not know how to execute properly. For the Endurance Nation athlete then, race day is largely an exercise is doing the opposite of what everyone else is doing!
Easy to read/comprehend the above, difficult to actually apply on race day, when you feel rested, invincible with adrenaline and the best you have felt during the entire training cycle.  So important to start thinking and scripting this concept now.
Good Job team.... keep chipping away, two more weeks left of fitness

Comments

• Options
    I'm tired this AM. Had a big week last week . Took Monday off after racing OOB. Then logged 21hrs, 1271 TSS , 11k yds swim , 286 miles bike, 35 miles run in the last 6 days. Looking forward to a few easy days this week before doing a Metric IM for a Race Rehearsal next weekend.
  • Options
    Tim, nice work.

I had a heavy week (for me). Approximately 25 miles of running and 125 miles on the bike.

We drove to Cambridge yesterday and rode two loops of the bike course (skipping the out and back) for a 90 mile ride. The second loop hurt more than it should have hurt. It was the first long flat ride of the year and I need to get my body used to riding flat. I am also taking a few easy days before a long run on Thursday and a return to Cambridge for two days of riding this weekend.
  • Options

Post-camp/run focus week (Tues-Mon) turned out to be my longest run week ever for IM prep:

• Swim x 2, both OWS 3800m for 2:34. Water's getting colder, I had to switch to my "cold water" wetsuit for the 2nd one
    • Bike x 4, 106 mi.6:07. 
    • Run x 5, 39.2 mi/5:55. Included was the 18 mile/3 hr run which I chose to do today, as I am leaving for CO tomorrow, and I'd rather do a lot of biking @ altitude than running the first few days I get there.

The long run was a learning experience, in that I felt like crap around mile 12, but managed to keep my pace up despite wanting to quit, and even did the last 2 miles @ faster than the HM pace I had in a race the previous week. I felt strong and powerful @ the end (although ready to quit by mile 18), and got a big confidence boost from that, recognizing that my run durability training has actually worked. I'll need to reflect and remember that on race day. I also think I should do two more long runs, of 2:15/20 and 2 hrs, over the next three weeks.

PMC numbers for the week Tues-Mon: 900 TSS, 15:40 hrs, currently my CTL is @ 132, ATL @ 144, and ramp @ 3. If I keep training @ the same pace the next three weeks, I should peak just above 140, which was my target. I'll have 16 days in CO at just the right time for a final bike push, and icing on the cake from exposure to altitude, which I;ve found helps with the sense of strength and durability in the last 90 minutes of the IM marathon.