Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Wisconsin

IMWI "Game Ball"

"IMWI Game Ball"

Game Ball is awarded to an individual who stood out on race day. When Endurance Nation receives the Tri Club award for that race, that athlete gets to take the award home as a symbol of their journey. 

To introduce this year's Ironman Wisconsin Game Ball recipient we need to go back to IMWI 2015 -- Lindsey Blumenshein's journey to become an Ironman sadly ended on the bike course that year. Immediately she knew she wanted to TRI again - she refocused with a lady like grace and determination and signed up for 2016! Was she disappointed? Sure. Did she give up? NO FREAKING WAY! 

One thing I have grown to appreciate in her is how she never complains, never makes excuses and ALWAYS SMILES! I first met her on Twitter and when she expressed her passion to become an Ironman, I knew she was going to fit right at home here at Endurance Nation. That year she went to Ironman Texas to volunteer. She wanted to give back to the sport, soak up some knowledge and grab as much inspiration as she could. Her and I stood at the finish line as I cheered in our athletes and you couldn't help but get excited by seeing her light up, goosebumps and tears as she said "that will be me one day" ---- of course, I cried, smiled at her and said "HELL YEA IT WILL BE" 

She dug deep into the forums, learned from everyone inside the team, gave back to newbies when she could and never stopped believing. 

I will let her tell the details of her race in her Race Report but from my perspective, it was the same Lindsey we all know and love that day but with an extra helping of determination. If she was fearful, she never showed it. I watched the whole team rally around her day. I counted 16 texts from athletes around our team who weren't even in Madison asking me how she was doing. Whenever I would come up on some EN athletes, I would hear "And I just saw Lindsey she looks great!" 

Sue Chapman and Mary Larsen even left their homes, got in the car and picked me up on the side of the road to help me get back in the depths of the course to bring our teammate Lindsey some encouragement. As you all know, the IM course isn't always cheers and motivational signs, there is always a "dark place" and even sometimes, LITERALLY DARK PLACE on the course. We kept seeing her smile through the darkness and when I looked at her at mile 23 and said "This is attainable, you simply can't slow down, period, not once" I saw it click in her that it was going to become a reality. 

We let her go and said "make this the best 5k you've ever done" and with 8 minutes to spare.... the team was all waiting for her at the finish line to hear. LINDSEY. YOU. ARE. AN IRONMAN!! 

Team, I am so unbelievably proud of all of you for rallying to support everyone. This was just ONE account of HUNDREDS in this race where I just KNEW we had the best team out there. You all race so smart, so affective and with HEART. 

Everyone at IMWI - this year was one for the books and I've told you all personally but one more time publicly, YOU ARE AMAZING! 

ONE MORE AWARD

A major reason for the camaraderie of IMWI (and the whole team for that matter) is a man we call KMF - our own Shaughn Simmons. I didn't get to present this to him as I secretly think he knew I was going to make him the center of attention after awards and being the humble man he is... bolted before I had the chance! 

Shaughn - words can not begin to describe the value you hold inside this team. We often wonder how one man can have so much dedication to others and still have time to be a complete rock star athlete himself. I believe we all know that KMF is not only his "call sign" but a way of life. He is so calm, cool and collected with nothing but kind words for us all. If you've ever posted a workout on Strava, you know good and well he is the first person to tell you that you put in good effort. In the forums, he is constantly helping us remember strategies, talk through plans and keeping us motivated. 

He is racing IMMT next year and I can assure you, being on his race day threads every week is worth its weight in gold - WTC should be paying him for all the athletes that are showing up to races just because he is there. 

My favorite SS moment from IMWI this year was on the run, he was headed in and I met him with about a half a mile to go - I ran beside him for, what Im sure to him felt like an eternity because I just wouldn't go away (but in reality 15 seconds) Im chatting with him, asking him how the rest of his day panned out (if you were following he had a bit of bad luck in the beginning) you could CLEARLY see he was focused and not ready for my chitchat but he says, looking straight forward in his kind voice "I appreciate you being here" ---- 10/4 Shaughn, I'll leave you be. 

So team, we are presenting Shaughn with the MASTER OF MOJO award - this very first award will come with a really amazing surprise for each individual that will vary. Since we are currently putting the final touches on Shaughn's personal gift, we will let him announce it when the time comes, but wanted to publicly thank him and give everyone an opportunity to as well. 

Lindsey - IMWI Game Ball recipient 

Shaughn - Master of Mojo award 

You two..... thank you thank you thank you! 

Please feel free to share your favorite Lindsey and SS moments - I know we have plenty to go around! 

Comments

• Shaughn's been a big part of my 2016 training regime even though he doesn't know it. As we were on the same plan for IMWI, I'd check Strava and he'd already knocked out the day's workouts usually before I had my morning coffee. On the days where I wasn't "feeling it" there was Shaughn, workouts complete (and usually a little extra) on Strava. He exemplifies the meaning of "team". You can set your watch to his training, which really motivated me to get it done. Thanks Shaughn for your drive and determination. It's contagious and much appreciated.
  • Couldnt agree more with Saughn. When I was in dark place I was telling my place "What would SS do" and it brought me back to nice place.

So looking fwd to train with him next year, IMMT gonna be epic with all the big guns coming.

You are the officiel EN-STRAVA leader
  • And also grats to Lindsey !

Mariah : re-read the years you are referring image unless you can read future! hah
  • At least I didn't say 1998 - WHICH IS EXACTLY HOW I SIGNED THE DATE THE OTHER DAY 

CALGON TAKE ME AWAY! haha thanks for catching that! 

• First, congratulations Lindsey - just posted on your RR post.

Second, umm, kind of feeling overwhelmed with this one.  I just landed in Mexico for work and found this flood of commentary from some of the people I respect the most and it is humbling.

A few thoughts here:

1. Thank you all for making me part of this space, if you only knew that I get so much out of sharing your daily posts and being a part of those.  Gives me great joy and motivation be part of that each day.
    2. Mariah, thank you.  Each time I see you talking with an EN'r, I see such HUGE strength in there......
    3. I know EN is a business, I get it, I am a Corp Finance guy, BUT, I've seen a lot of business both weak and strong, and IMO, the one key thing that sets us apart over the long course in terms of sustainability, is our ability as a team to take care of each other at somewhat of a personal level both novice and veteran.....lose that and it all falls apart at some point. We are fortunate to have leaders across this organization that understand that, that step up and carry that torch when needed.
    4. And so, with that I leave all that read this post with a challenge, fast or slow, FOP or BOP, novice or veteran, find a couple of times a week in your already overloaded schedule to recognize someone for something they did right in their workout as they are fighting through it.  Get out of your comfort zone, find someone you don't well know, really look at their stats, and comment on it..........  It doesn't have to be a perfect wko, in fact, it could be a disastrous wko, but it will be your job to be sincere, genuine and find the silver line.....it will go a LONG way and In that process (over time), you might unexpectedly also find the path/strength/secret you have been seeking for your next personal breakthrough.......

SO darn happy (and at the moment tired) to be able to move forward in this haus with all you CRAZY animals!

SS

• VERY inspired by both of y'all. Keep on rocking'!!
  • Both of you were and are great! The smile on my face in the photo above isn't seen too often, and it certainly was appropriate for Lindsay's award. SS/KMF, you helped keep me moving forward through some of the tough times in training with your positive comments and your own rockstar performance. As I put in my RR, and as Mariah said above, WTC will make a little more money off of me in the next few days, especially since you're doing IMMT next year!
  • Shaughn - MoM! I love it - you are a HUGE part of the positive mojo of EN mojo every day of the year - not just Race day!
    Lindsey - Perfect choice for Game Ball!

Congrats to both of you.
  • Lindsey - It was just great to watch you get the finish.

SS - I've been kicking around EN for a long time, doing my first OS with him in 2009.  He was a machine of dedication then, continues to push himself to be better and refine his execution.  More recently he's taken on larger leadership role rallying the troops of LP in 2015 or whichever IM he's attending and leading the charge from the front.  He continues to lead by example with his consistency.

• Perfect and Perfect! Proud to have shared the day with you two!

My fav SS moment was on the bike when I asked what KMF meant. He gave me both answers..PC, and Not so PC! image I thought of them both when it was dark and I had 2 miles to go. Thank you!!!

Lindsey moment??? The finish line! I know she didn't recognize me in my Fraser jacket, but I recognized her through my teary eyes!!! All smiles and VICTORIOUS!