Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Wisconsin
Options

Dana Burns 2016 IM Moo Race Report

Well thanks to my friend Scott Dinhofer I finally raced from start to finish using my Garmin 920xt without hitting stop coming out of the water!!! I crossed the line stopping my Garmin and saving the data, only to mysteriously drop all the data with no clue what my heart rate was climbing Barlow. The first lesson of this race is, I'm officially taking Tim Cronk, Al Truscott, Terri Cashmore and many others advice, and in 2017 I'm not swimming with a watch. I'm getting a Garmin for my bike and using a running watch.

My second lesson learned is I waste time in transition because I can't seem to bypass the Porta Potties. Epic fail on the peeing on the bike.

My third lesson is it's painful racing 8-10 pounds heavier, most people reading this know it's because I've been injured all year with a torn ligament in my sacrum, or at least  that's what I think is wrong. Anyone with experience with PRP treatments, good or bad, please share.

I'm not going to give a complete report of what I ate or drank because, frankly I wasn't prepared nor did I know if I'd finish based on the pain in my rump.

I decided to race with a humble heart and as always let my spirit guide me--not necessarily the EN moto, once again I have no fancy numbers to report just my time. My best case --good sacrum pain day finish goal was 12:59:00 and I finished in 12:56:34. For some reason it was a somewhat pain free sacrum day!!

Here's the break down:

Swim -1:20:19

T-1 - 8:08

Bike- 6:37:16

T-2 -6:39

Run- 4:44:12

Finish- 12:56:34

Lesson number four and most important one of all is, I may not always PR and continue to make the same mistakes, but I actually wasn't beating myself up over being heavier that usual and slower. It felt good to be okay with not being at the top of my game. It's like Coach Rich said, my friends and family will ask --did I have fun and was I safe???

Yes, coach, friends and EN family, I had a blast!!

Now time to work on recovering from this injury.

Thanks for reading,

Dana

Comments

• Options

Dana - sub 13 considering all you've gone thru - Wow!  Imagine when you are back to normal.  Congrat's IM!

• Options
    Such a good race you had! Congrats on having a minimal pain in the butt day! image I sure wish I could have followed in your quick footsteps on the run.

I know your feelings of racing heavier than you'd like, and no peeing on the bike, but we still did it no?

Congrats, heal up and it was great to meet you!
  • Options
    You made it look easy (any super stylish ; )) Dana! Glad your pain was in check on race day and wish you a speedy recovery. Still an incredible day for you!
  • Options
    Dana, I love your "it is what it is, and I will learn something from it" attitude... Approaching your day with humble heart and spirit guidance obviously awarded you with a pain free sacrum day... Look forward to a recovered, injury free 2017 Dana :-)
  • Options
    Nice no-nonsense recap. These are the grit-maker races. Thanks for sharing.

I doubt you will find much on PRP. When I asked about this for my ankle injury my sports med friend explained that there are barriers to broad utilization both on the insurance (who pays for this) side and distribution. Apparently the health system we work in is not interested due to multiple logistical reasons. Seems to be a niche type treatment at present. That said, my sports med guy was still trying to find a way to provide it - not sure if this is related to a motivation driven by proof it works or whatever, but he was enthusiastic.
  • Options
    Hopefully the first of many pain free days. congratulations! Great job.
  • Options
    You avoided pain/injury, got the experience that no one can teach, did it all with a smile & made new friends... sounds like a great experience!!!
    Now be like me and listen to tim... focus on body comp for LP begins NOW... I was off the wagon between LP & WI, but body comp was my theme for LP and will be for the coming year...
    Aside from that, focus on health issues and KMF!
  • Options
    Dana, it's been impressive watching you come back from your injury to do this race. It shows lots of guts and determination. Rich got it right, the most important thing is having fun. Great work!
  • Options

Dana, I think you might re-title this report"  "Getting It Done".....

Just damn fine work out there IMO!

SO glad I go to meet you and put a face to a name at the awards ceremony.

Keep moving forward, always DB!

SS

• Options
    Thanks everyone for your kind words and support. I am super motivated to heal, get strong and healthy.
    @Scott I hear you loud and clear my friend.... perhaps a camp is in my future.