Home General Training Discussions
Options

Need suggestions on my shoulder issue

I need some input on what else I should be doing.   

I am unable to raise my arm from the side of my body more than 5 to 6 inches without pain at a level 7 to 8 (out of 10).  Intense pain is felt near the armpit.    Bending arm at elbow at 90 degrees, I can't raise my arm in front of me (like if drinking coffee).  I tried (without any weights) to mimic PT therapy exercises and cannot execute most of them without pain with the exception of laying on my side on floor with forearm across stomach,burying elbow into the ribs and moving arm up to a parallel position with the floor.  I just had a cortizone shot in the shoulder one week ago (last Thursday).   I've been taking ibuprofen (650 mg) and icing the shoulder along with trying to do the "elephant truck" exercise to keep as much mobility as possible.   Anything else I should be doing to get what I think is inflammation down and keep the mobility(?)  

BACKGROUND:    12/2008 - Fell down a flight of stairs....and I wasn't even drinking...crude!!!!   Over extended the arm/shoulder by reaching back to stop the slide/fall down the last part of the stairwell.    Shoulder was tender for two weeks....long story short....went to primary doc who referred me to ortho.   MRI:  Have minor to moderate degenerative issues in several parts of the shoulder including A/C and in three spots on labrum (possible tear or tears, but very small).   

Comments

• Options

uh oh....what aggravated it? there wasn't a re-injury or anything was there?

elephant swings/pendulums are great as is the ice and IB. if after 10-14 days the cortisone shot hasn't made an impact, might be worth talking to the doc for a strong inflammatory script (medrol pack maybe??)

as far as maintaining your motion...another exercise I would add would be to start working on your shoulder flexion. try to keep the motion passive so that you aren't physically lifting the arm. instead...standing at a desk or counter- put both hands down on the counter with your good one hold your bad one in place. Then step back and bend at the waist. It's like you're trying to stretch it out overhead. does that make sense??

work on passive motion without trying to actively use your muscles and lift it. as the counter stretch gets easier, progress to laying on your back and use a broom/mop handle (something light) and try to bring both arms over your head (let your good arm do all of the work/bad arm is "going for the ride").

• Options

Thanks Leigh!  I tried the exercise you described in your reply and it felt good to stretch that way.   I didn't re-injure the shoulder.  I'm rackin the brain to go through the day to evaluate what might have aggrevated the shoulder.  The only thing I can think of is that I slept on it wrong.  That's all I got! 

Rich

• Options

could just be some tendonitis/impingement type stuff. doesn't take much to pinch the tendons and start the process up. image

keep it light over the weekend. if you can't pick it up with your elbow at your side- don't pick it up period. stretch and ice like it's your job.

• Options

Where did the doc put the cortisone injection? In a shoulder with arthritis including the AC jt he could have put it subacromially ( laterallly) or in the AC jt (very top of shoulder). If you have AC jt arthritis and he didn't inject this joint you could try an injection in this joint?

Where is most of the pain.....laterally/down side of arm or at top near AC jt?

Definitely see a PT....will need some serious stretching.Talk to them about setting up a home pulley program.....you can use it at home to help raise the arm.

Longterm with degenerative changes I would consider some glucosamine/chondoitrin supplement .....can help symptomatically and some literature thinks it may slow the degeneration over time.

• Options
    Rich,
    Sounds like Leigh and Michael have you covered.

I have chronic shoulder issues and need to stretch religiously( like it is my job, btw, I love that expression leigh). Just lying on my back on the roller and letting arms hang down the few inches to the floor to open up my pecs is always how I start. Maybe try that. Then do the broom exercise Leigh gave you while lying on the roller also.

I then roll on my side on roller and work the lats. You may have to use good arm to hold painful arm out of the way. Try to get up into the arm pit. With Pain we guard a lot and the muscles and joint stiffen up. Goal here is to regain motion but not actively use the muscles yet.

I would go to PT for sure. Let them help you get your motion back.

Sorry you are going through this.

Carrie