Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Disqualified for Chapstick?

I think this is an interesting article because it seems to totally miss the point.  The writer wants it to be about chapstick so badly that I think they miss the point that this athlete and his wife completely ignored the rules.

By his own admission, his wife was essentially bike riding with him on the run, stopping every mile with updates and who knows what.  My favorite part is that when asked if he took any other aid from his wife he said "he didn't remember".  How is that possible?  That's either a yes or a no.  I also like the little game they played where she threw it on the ground so he could pick it up.

They didn't discuss the impact to the race if everyone has their own bike rider in attendance. 

The author just completely ignores the warning he received and that his bad behavior with his wife/sherpa continued.  Contrary to the tone provided by the author, I don't think this is about chapstick at all.  

I love how the athlete takes the high road regarding never arguing with an official.  He never owns the behavior....

http://kfor.com/2016/09/30/second-place-finisher-disqualified-from-ironman-competition-due-to-chapstick-use/

Comments

• Options
    I saw that post too and it seemed a bit harsh but then you start to find out that there was a lot more to the story. He deserved the DQ.