Homeโ€บ Community Forum ๐Ÿ 
Options

Gym training f0r swimming

Yes we have our core routine and the exercises with the elastic band... But my sense is that we are not doing enough in the gym for our swim.

Any suggestions of good / intensive plans?

Comments

• Options

Andres,

Coach Rich was a collegiate swimmer and if it were a good ROI I'm sure we'd be doing something more.ย  Having said that do you have something specific you are trying to address in the gym?ย  I don't have a good plan but a quick google search led me to a website which claims programs based on Grant Turner 2012 Olympian.ย  Just remember that these guys are sport specific and we have three to train for, but if you've got extra time for the gym or a specific weakness this might be for you.

http://www.swimming.org/masters/grant-turners-gym-workouts-for-swimmers/

Here's a second website with an article from a former US Olympian.ย 

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jasonlezak1.htm

Hopefully someone else will chime in.ย  Also I know that Coach P just posted an advance swim ebook which I've not taken a look at.

• Options
    I'd like to hear more on this topic. While Coach R was a collegiate swimmer and grew up tagging walls, I am not/ did not and have to build up. Now that I am moving ahead in the 50-54 AG, I also know the body begins to deteriorate over time. Moreover, I also had rotator cuff surgery two years ago and have generally weaker issues on my left side from that. So, I know I need to do more work on the muscles around the scapula as well as general work on the lats, chest & delts, all focused on reps/ strength as opposed to bulk.

I'd be interested in hearing from those that have been dealing with the aging and their suggestions on swim specific WKOs or Muscle groups to be focused on. As an aside, I signed up for a winter masters program that is mostly a drill based 2x a week swim with a group of newer triathletes in their 50s, perfect for keeping me focused.