Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

The RULES of Cycling!

I was asked by a another member today if I was familiar with The Rules and could I send them a link to the gospel as recorded by the Keppers of the Cog.  I felt this was a moment to testify and reaffirm my commitment to The Word and spread the gospel as it is the only path to a life that is righteous, good and decent.

Please see the glory here:  http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

I close with the Prophet's Prayer:

Our Hardman who art in Belgium

Eddy be thy name

Thy cobbles come, thy hands are numb

From pavé

As it isn’t heaven.

Give us this day our daily V,

And forgive us our Rule violations,

As we drop those who attack against us,

Lead us not off our line

But deliver us from Anti-V.

For thine is the big ring,

And the power, and the glory,

For Eddy and ever.

A-Merckx

I encourage others to comment below and quote some of their favorites....  My personal favorite which gives me tranquility when the going gets tough is Rule #5

Comments

• Options
    Rule # 5 is a favorite of mine as well, especially during OS.

I have to say I like Rule #90 "Never get out of the big ring." I'm not even sure if the shifter on my left arrow extension works, ha ha, just kidding.
  • Options
    #5/#10/#20 thanx for the reminder
  • Options

No offense meant towards my teammates, but I have a bit of disdain for these, primarily because of #42. Get over it, Roadies, and show a little inclusiveness.

Also, when I was 15, I came up with my own rules. Being somewhat simpleminded @ that age, there are only three: 

1. Always be honest

2. See the beauty all around you.

3. Never do anything for the sole reason it's expected of you. [EG, rule #37, among others. OTOH, rules like 8, 9, 25, 58, 60, 63, & 87 I follow Religiously.]

• Options
    I DO love "the rules"
    but, i have always been a fan of "Things we can learn from a dog"
    some of my favorites:
    Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy
    Take naps and stretch before rising
    Run, romp & play daily
    Eat with gusto and enthusiasm
    Be loyal
    Never pretend to be something you’re not
    If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it
    Avoid biting when a simple growl will do
    When you are happy, dance around and wag your entire body
  • Options
    X2 ... I can learn more from a dog than a roadie! I have an almost 17 year old dog and she is teaching me patience at the moment..
  • Options

I agree with TC, SD & AT. Many of the rules are fun to read. Some of them are notable. My Bat Cave is open. Rule # 10 is active.

• Options
    Good to reread these every once and a while. But it is a lot of Pro Tips for one day.
    Thanks again, Dino
  • Options
    Read rule #14 ...designers of the EN kit!
  • Options
    I've always found the rules amusing and am not personally offended when I am in gross violation. My favorites are #5 (HTFU) and #20 The Remedies for Pain including the referral back to #5.

I'm also curious as to why, if these rules are generally European in nature, and given rule #14, it is almost always the European men wearing tri kits with white shorts. Ponder that.
  • Options
    Like many aspects of religion, I suppose there will always be those that choose an "ala carte" approach. After all who among us is free of sin. image
  • Options
    I see echunter has posted a picture of DJ above.......nice....

I have had to rely on several of the rules this week and last.....working through it.  When I can't think of an appropriate rule I switch to chasing Al or Tim's back wheel when trying to make it through a tough interval....

SS