Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Leave of absence, gotta go!

Hate to say it, but my company, AT&T, laid me off again today. This is the 3rd time in 19 years.

With that said, i've got to save some money "just in case" and I've got to suspend my membership. I won't be spending anything more than necessary in the near future, even with as much as I like to travel and like to do various events, including what I was hoping would be an epic 2017! Looks like that all gets put on hold in the short term, at least.

I hope to be back real soon with all you great people! I've learned so much and made so many friends in my time in da haus, since early 2008.

Feel free to email me directly, salexand652 at gmail dot com.

I'll miss all y'all! 

Comments

• Options

Here's the full thread I sent to my closest friends and family:

Short story...I've been laid off.

After almost 19 years, for the 3rd time, laid off.

In the most impersonal, rude, disrespectful way possible, laid off.

Mon Oct 3rd: received an internal company spam email inviting me to a conference call on 10/4, titled "Q4 Resource planning".

Tue Oct 4th. Couldn't attend said conference call. Supposedly what was discussed was that my whole division was eligible for "force reductions" (the fancy term for layoffs).

Tue Oct 4th: received email from automated HR system saying that I was individually eligible for force reduction/layoff.

Thu Oct 27th (yesterday): had first discussion with my "manager" all year, including two performance review/appraisal periods and the layoff notice. I initiated this meeting. He never contacted me post-announcement at all. Our discussion centered around what he could - or would - tell me (nothing). Then he had the nerve to ask me all the stuff I was working on. I told him I'd contact him Tuesday to discuss my current workload if I still had a job. Guess I won't be calling him next week.

Fri Oct 28th (today): My "manager" called me this morning. Opened the call by saying "I have some more information regarding what we talked about yesterday. You have now been officially notified that you have been surplused..." He then rambled off an obviously-HR-written script with predetermined things to say.

From this brief one-sided "conversation", this is what I gathered:

-I have 60 days, until 12/27, to find another job internally.

-if I'm offered an interview, for ANY position, I must take it.

-if I'm offered a position at my current level or above, even if it involves a relocation, I must take it.

Failure to do any of these things will disqualify me from receiving any severance benefits at the end of the 60 day period, if I don't find a job.

There's supposedly some HR meeting on Tue 11/1, about how to use company resources to find another internal position, that I'm "encouraged" to attend.

I was also provided a checklist document of additional items I need to complete, some within the next week and some within the coming months.

I seem to be hovering between wanting to cry and wanting to punch something, or somebody (just one person, really). It was surreal for weeks, now it's reality. I still don't think it's fully sunk in yet. 

What this means, as of now...

-it's time to pare down my expenses. I've already cancelled several monthly recurring charges (ex, Netflix).

-In addition, this means no new toys, no new bikes, no new event/race registrations, etc.

-No more frivolous expenditures (bikes are NOT frivolous! haha). Time to eat at home more!

-ALL MY 2017 PLANS ARE SUSPENDED, indefinitely. This includes all personal travel, sports-related or not.

As of now, this will not affect my 2016/2017 New Years plans, but I reserve the right to modify my plans as I feel necessary. To my travel friends, I will make every effort to not impact you with any changes I might need to make.

While I appreciate your concern, please keep any additional questions to a minimum. I honestly don't know much beyond what I've shared here.

In the meanwhile, if anyone has someone that can help me update my resume (for free, preferably in person and locally), I'd appreciate the referral!

• Options
    Sorry to hear Scott. Hope things will get better for u and u'll be back soon. All the best
  • Options
    Scott, I just sent you an email.
  • Options
    That stinks. I hope you land a new gig that you dig and where you are appreciated!
  • Options
    Scott...sorry to hear this.  Good luck and hope things work out for you and you can return to EN. 
  • Options
    So howdy party people! I'm back!

Short story, I landed a new gig, thanks to some serious high-level recommendations/referrals from my VP, in our Big Data (BD) department/division on 12/19. I was on the first day of my 2.5week already-paid-for UK/Ireland vacation and they called me to offer me the spot.

I had my exit interview for my old spot on Thu 12/15 (because of my vacation and that of my manager, it had to be completed before we left), the BD interview on Fri 12/16, and was called and offered a job on Mon 12/19 when I was in England.

Of course I took it, not only is BD the darling of the company these days, it's new and challenging - which is what I need. I grew quite complacent in my old spot and it caused this last bout of stress for me, for sure.

So, I get to keep my paycheck, my seniority (and vacation!!!) and my sanity. However, the new job is full-time in office, with a commute (15 miles each way), which is the exact opposite of the work from home telecommute that I've had for the last 2.5 years, so a major cultural and time adjustment is taking place for me.

Unfortunately, I won't be online here as much as I've traditionally been. I'm behind on all my recorded TV and I don't recall what it's like to not have time to complete all my personal errands. But I'll persevere and adapt! I've got no choice. I was reminded VERY quickly on how much I really hate to commute, even with as short as mine is compared to others.

Any way, just wanted to give y'all the down-lo on what's happening over here in my world. Hope to keep up a little bit more as I learn my capabilities in this new spot.

Happy to be back!
  • Options
    Hey Scott
    Great news. Was hoping that you would fall on your feet!
  • Options

Hey Scott --- they love you after all, eh?

Maybe it's time to think about a few bike commutes each week? Just a reminder ... showers are high over-rated, as long as you can find a place to change out of bike clothes, you'll do just fine. They're designed to keep the sweat and the odor.

• Options
    I'd love to, but I'm honestly scared of riding the surface streets around here. Texas drivers are always looking for targets and have big ass trucks that won't even feel you under their wheels.