Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

1st HIM RR with ?'s

HIM Race Rehearsal plan

Morning Fuel

-Wake up at 4 hours before and consume 600 calories. 100% whole Grain Toast with PB on it and 1 Ensure

-Then just sip on Gatorade for 1 hour until I get to my riding spot.

Bike Setup and clothing:

-Only set of wheels I have

-1 bottle on down tube (Infinit)

-PD Aero Drink on bars (water), 2 more bottles of water on me to mimic aid station water. (won’t race with this)

-Bike sack: 2 tubes, 3 co2’s

-In Jersey: Salt pills, emergency bag of Infinit.

-EN race kit.

Start Time:

8 AM – out and back

Weigh myself before the ride so I can get an estimate on how my weight loss is.

Bike Fuel/Hydration:

-1 concentrated 24 oz bottle of Infinit with 675 calories, enough for 3 hours.

-Water as needed and will have 2 bottles with me. Need to consume around 1.5 bottles of water per hour. Sweat test says I need about 1.5 per hour.

-Sodium - Infinit will give me 325 per hour so need to consume another 300 of salt tablets per hour

Bike Course:

- It is mostly flat with a few stops.

Bike Plan:

-Current FTP: 225

-Goal IF: 82% NEED ADVICE HERE, is this % okay?

-Goal TSS: 193

-Guestimated time = 2:45

Race Gears

-1st – 175w – first 90 min and downhill

-2nd – 185w – target watts

-3rd – 194w - long hills (>3’)

-4th – 203w – short hills (<3’)<br />

Transition:

-Shoes

-Garmin

-Hat

-Fuel belt with water and 1 gel (I actually will only consume 1/2 gel every 30 min during run portion of race)

Run Course:

-3 mile run at 8:00 (MP + 30sec) pace, then 3 miles @ 7:30 pace (MP)

NEED ADVICE HERE! DO I GO MP + 30 OR LRP +30 FOR THE FIRST 3 MILES? I KNOW THAT MY TARGET PACE IS MP BUT CONFUSED ABOUT FIRST 3 MILES.

Run Plan:

-Current vDOT: 48

- MP is 7:30

- LRP = 8:49

Race Pacing Plan

-3 miles @ 8:00 ?????? OR SHOULD IT BE 9:20 (LRP + 30)

-7 miles @ 7:30

-3 miles @ whatever I have left

Fire away!

-Chad

Comments

• Options
    Looks like you and I might have quite a good race based on your numbers!

MP+30, not LRP + 30
    Power numbers look very reasonable. That's almost exactly where I was last summer. My ave power was less than that (as you'd expect), but I targeted 180 as equiv to second gear.

One other thing... unless you're a lot neater than I am, there's NO WAY I'm going to race carrying around half-eaten gel packs. EEWWW. Sticky!! I'd be ditching them at the station, whether i ate half or all of them. :-)

Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks William, it sounds like we would make good training partners. Thanks for clearing up the running pace stuff, this is my first HIM EN style, I've done a full EN Style and improved my time by 4 hours so can't wait to see what I can do on HIM.
    Yeah, I plan on just taking 3 gels with me and tossing each as I eat half.

Chad
  • Options
    What William said re the pacing (it's MP) and 82% seems fine for a 2:45 finish! Good luck and keep us posted!
  • Options

Looks like a solid plan.  the only thing that sticks out at me is it seems like a lot of calories for a half.  good luck.

• Options
    Thanks for the input guys!
    Yeah Chris, I might back my calories down to 200/hr instead of 225/hr on the bike for the half. We'll see how the RR shakes out this weekend.
  • Options
    Everything on my rehearsal went smoothly. I did take Chris’s advice and I backed my calories down to 200/hr on the bike and that felt good, I also consumed about 3 1/2 bottles of water (it will be much hotter at the race so I’ll consume my 4 1/2 there)

Bike results: Here are my numbers from my bike. I think on race day my TSS will be lower then this due to there will be no stops and the course is much flatter so I think my time will more likely be around 2:45-2:50. Or I could ride in gear 1 for 45min and I’m sure that would bring it down some?

Duration: 40:52 (41:09)_
    Work: 427 kJ_
    TSS: 42 (intensity factor 0.787)_
    Norm Power: 178_
    VI: 1.02_
    Pw:HR: 2.83%_
    Pa:HR: -6.67%_
    Distance: 11.484 mi

Duration: 2:16:31 (2:19:21)_
    Work: 1485 kJ_
    TSS: 152.6 (intensity factor 0.821)_
    Norm Power: 186_
    Pw:HR: 8.41%_
    Pa:HR: 1.04%_
    Distance: 43.438 mi

Entire workout (180 watts):_
    Duration: 2:58:35 (3:01:41)_
    Work: 1916 kJ_
    TSS: 195.3 (intensity factor 0.812)_
    Norm Power: 184_
    Pw:HR: 9.01%_
    Pa:HR: -3.21%_
    Distance: 55.144 mi

Run:
    First 3 miles at 8 (MP+30) and then next 3 miles at 7:30. I felt pretty good during the run, towards the end of the run I was starting to feel the burning but I felt like I could hold that 7:30 for 4 more miles but it was going to hurt, which is expected.

Overall, the RR was a success and I now feel as though I’m ready to race my first HIM EN style.

• Options
    Great job! I wouln't worry about staying in Gear 1 any longer, that TSS is gonna come down a little on race day 'cause you just won't be out there quite as long. I'd say your in great shape going into your race with a good solid plan!
  • Options
    Posted By Chad Scott on 19 Apr 2010 08:13 AM

Run:

First 3 miles at 8 (MP+30) and then next 3 miles at 7:30. I felt pretty good during the run, towards the end of the run I was starting to feel the burning but I felt like I could hold that 7:30 for 4 more miles but it was going to hurt, which is expected.

... I now feel as though I’m ready to race my first HIM EN style.

I'd say your run performance validates your subjective impressions, as well as your pacing, nutrition, and hydration strategies.

• Options

Sounds like it went well.  I agree with the others regarding the TSS.  You always go faster on raceday, a lot faster.  Little things like traffic control make a huge difference.

Oh and it still is going to hurt on the run even when you pace correctly, hopefully just not for as long as it would otherwise...