Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Texas
Options

Wheels for race day

Hi team, 

So.... the friend I usually get my race wheels from just told me he sold them. I know, totally my fault should have checked before and I could give you a million reasons why I haven't but it wouldn't change the fact that I'm now one week from race day and without race wheels. 

I check www.racedaywheels.com but they don't have any disk wheels anymore - all sold out. 

Any idea? Any recommendations? 

Thanks!
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Some things that might make it helpful:
    What are you looking for? (ex, what have you used?, 404/808, 606s, etc)
    Where are you located?
    10/11 speed?
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2017 6:53PM
    Good point... Thanks!

Last race I had 404/full disc, worked like a charm, it'd be great if I could race with the same.

I think I found a 404 for the front wheel. So ideally still need a disc for the rear wheel - 10 speed. 

I'm in Venice, Fl, will be driving to The Woodlands, Texas, for the race (on Sat. 22nd). Leaving FL on the 18th. 

• Options
    Why not just get a disc cover for your rear wheel? Super cheap, super aero. I've used one for many years.   http://www.wheelbuilder.com/aerodisc.html
  • Options
    @Tom, yes I used one for my last IM and it worked great but: 1. I'm not sure it'll be here in time, race is next Sat. (I have sent them an email) 2. I now have tubular and am a little reticent to use tubular on race day - if I have a flat - I'm out...
  • Options
    @Catherine Jadot - I would recommend calling some of the bike shops in Tampa/Clearwater to see if they rent wheels.  Try Outspokin, Chainwheel Drive, David's World (Trek), or Flying Fish.  I bet you could easily score from one of those and pick it up as you are driving north.  That's a long way to drive...safe travels.  
  • Options
    @Paul Hough, thanks! I will call the shops you mentioned.
    (I have already called all the shops in Venice and Sarasota but no joy...). 
  • Options
    After reading this thread this morning, I did some research, watched a few tube videos, talked with my LBS expert tech! and got on the phone, asked some more questions, ordered a rear disc wheel cover, 2 day shipping, and it'll be here Friday! Not to mention 10% off for mentioning EN! How great is that?!!  Thanks for the suggestion, and help!
  • Options
    Found wheels @Try Outspokin!!! Thanks @Paul Hough