Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Santa Rosa
Options

IM SANTA ROSA TRAINING 2017 MAY 15 - 21

Hey friends - we had some forum problems and I couldn't post your last weeks stuff --- so we need to combine a ROLL CALL and some training all in one - as you are 11 weeks out from your race..... so lets hear some chatter and sorry for the long post. 

PREP

I am your Race Captain and Marketing Director, Mariah Bridges. I can't wait to go on this journey with you! 

• On Social Media? Follow, Share, Spread the word about training with EN using #EN4Keys and tagging us on all platforms:

• Twitter - @teamen ---- Instagram - @teamendurancenation ------ Facebook - www.facebook.com/endurancenation

• Use email friend@endurancenation.us to get a friend to train with you and EN (they get 30 days FREE and you can earn referral bonuses)

• Nudge all current EN members that you know are racing IM SANTA ROSA to chime in on the weekly forums

• Our new and improved Forums are amazing so make sure you bookmark the threads to check in weekly!!  Check the box to follow the entire IM SANTA ROSA forum so you don't miss a single announcement

• Friend me on Facebook so that we can tag you in pictures and race recaps the week after your race on the EN page

• Your training hashtag is #EN4Keys and of course tag us if you wish, let’s tell the world!

Charge all your swim, bike and run electronics, tune up that bike, stretch out those legs and prepare that mental game and order the nutrition you need because we are about to dive head first into EN training.

Every Sunday night I will post the weekly forum with the training dates, some mojo, advice, admin notices and general EN awesomeness. Whether you're a veteran EN member or newbie, this is the magic of training with the team. We will keep each other motivated, have a place to talk about your daily training ups and downs, get questions answered, answer fellow teammates questions and make some friends along the way. The more everyone participates the more everyone will crush this race the Endurance Nation way!

Make sure to watch the videos, podcasts and blogs that are attached to each week of training on the website. They are located on the right side of the your training page.  CHECK THEM OUT! Maybe listen to them as you stretch, roll or recover or as you fuel up for a workout.  

I will post highlights weekly. This week we Coach Rich talks about the importance of the long ride and data tracking. Get to know yourself and what your needs are during these long rides. Track EVERYTHING!! The difference between a successful execution and an unsuccessful one is knowing what you need to execute.

So ROLL CALL! WE ARE A TEAM and we want to support each other the best we can. So now let’s hear it, make some noise.... Any questions for the team?

On your mark.... get set.... GO!

*** SPONSOR OF THE WEEK:  STRYD- EN has partnered with the leading company in running with power.  We have a 20% discount through Jan 31st. Grab yourself a STRYD (it will arrive in January) so that we can start collecting data and changing the way runners train. CODE: endurancenation at store.stryd.com

*** EN GEAR:  Make sure to check out our AMAZING store at Trisports! http://www.trisports.com/endurance-nation.html

TRAINING

Coaches have developed some great plans and there is a TON of great content in the coach videos and podcasts.  This week Coach P. talks about run durability….its SO important so please watch!

Quick recap…..Coaches have made big changes to the OutSeason training plans, adding a significant "run durability" component by adding running frequency. So now as you head into the IM Full plan you will notice the following…….

• Split Long Run: in weeks 9 through 12, the long run is split into two Thursday sessions. The coaches experimented with this in 2015 and found they were able to run both runs a faster average pace and put up higher single day mileage, with less recovery cost vs a traditional one-session long run. Then then enables...

• Additional Friday Run: the ability to put in a run the day after the long run allows us to significantly boost the run volume, and therefore the run durability component, of the long course training plans.

• Saturday Pre-Ride Brick Run: this run, added to the plans years ago, remains a running staple.

• Sunday Post-Ride Brick Run: an extremely valuable session for helping our athletes dial in the critical first 4-6 miles of their running race execution strategy

So this week- let’s focus on that split long run and report back on how we do!  Check out the wiki page for more info! http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=Understanding+the+Endurance+Nation+Split+Long+Run

Remember…..your race day run should be:

• Consistent

• Smart

• Effective

• Sustained Pace

PACING:

No one run will make or break your race but how you look at pacing will.  

Focus on sustainable pace.

RECOVERY:

Set yourself up like a rock star---

• Eat and Hydrate during your workout

• Recovery Shake immediately after

• Compression socks or resting in the first half hour window after.  Aim for at least one minute elevated resting legs per mile. i.e. 10 mile run, 10 minutes legs elevated, compression socks and resting.

************************************************************************************

11 WEEKS UNTIL RACE TRAINING WEEK ---- THIS IS CURRENT! 

So this week…... “Big Day” - This is a day to swim, bike and run to practice stacking up the day! Just a steady day.  Coach P does a fantastic video during this week that explains exactly what your goals should be during this day. Check it out!

Things to pay attention to

• Again….. Nutrition- keep experimenting and figuring out what works.

• Watching your pacing (are you making mistakes early on?)

Don’t “rest” in-between but no need to go full fledge tri geek and set up transitions where you sprint from event to event

What coaches want to see this week is us talking about how we are going to prepare. Post your “big day” check list here, a chance to even practice your “race plan” and “race report”

Let’s not wait until after the big day to start discussing what we did or didn’t do. Lets plan it out, write it out and discuss it now so we can help each other. Then debrief with this awesome Crew after the big day on what worked and what didn’t.

This will set you up for your race rehearsals closer to race day.

*** SPONSOR OF THE WEEK:  InsideTracker: Check out Coach P’s blog on this incredible process. https://www.endurancenation.us/blog/uncategorized/insidetracker/

InsideTracker is a personalized health analytics company founded by leading scientists, physicians, nutritionists and exercise physiologists from MIT, Harvard and Tufts University.

The InsideTracker platform tracks and analyzes key biochemical and physiological markers and applies sophisticated algorithms and large scientific databases to determine personalized optimal zones for each marker.

Inside Tracker

Discount: 20% to TeamEN Members

Code: ENDURANCENATION

*** EN GEAR:  Make sure to check out our AMAZING store at Trisports! http://www.trisports.com/endurance-nation.html

OK FRIENDS ---- from now on we will have one weekly post that isn't this long and I will make sure you have all the information you need! If you need me at all - shoot me a message! 

Comments

• Options

Thanks for firing up the "official" IMSR thread Mariah! I'll get us going here and hope others will follow up:

IMSR will be IM #3 for me. Having raced and loved Vineman 70.3 a few years back, I signed up with this one and then shortly after it changed to Santa Rosa. The sell was not a hard one for my wife since we plan on hitting the vineyards the week following the race :) The course looks to be a good one and FAST! This year has a been a challenging one for me as I've battled off a slew of injuries, but I seem to be mostly in one piece now as we are approaching the bump up in work. I'm still in the HIM plan up until the 70.3 I'll be racing in June and then will join the group in IM plan for the home stretch. Looking forward to sharing the fun with this group leading up the race!

• Options
    Thanks Mariah!  This will be my 13th ironman.  If you can believe ironman, then I have a kona legacy spot for 2018 providing I continue to meet the requirements which includes doing an ironman race this year.  Originally I had signed up for Arizona, but thought it would be wise to get one in a little earlier in the year in case I have a mechanical or some other disaster and can't finish.  So my priority will be to finish but I'm sure it will be a challenge to keep the competitive juices at bay.  Santa Rosa is within driving distance so it made the decision easier to sign up.

I've been riding zwift with the EN group for the Sunday ABP rides which makes for some good virtual companionship making the rides fly by.  I would encourage others to do the same if getting outside isn't an option on Sundays. 

• Options
    @Tom - I hit 12 this year so I'll get in 2019 or 2020.  What IM will you register for in 2018 to meet the requirements?
  • Options
    @Paul Hough- haven't completely decided. The requirement simply states being signed up for a race in 2018.  Considering signing up for one that comes after Kona
  • Options
    Are you done after Kona?  I may end up around 20 to complete my bucket list.
  • Options
    @Paul Hough  probably done with IM after that.   I'll cut it back to 70.3's and shorter.
  • Options
    Well it looks like I am the only IM virgin in the group. Yep. Finally, after four years of lurking, punched my ticket when I saw that IMSR was a team race. I don't live too far from Tom Box. I made a deal with my Mom, when she was in hospice, to make this dream come true. I am very excited to finally get at it. Coach P. had me start a couple weeks ago. I have already done my Big Day protocol #1. He has had me in a holding pattern on wk 2 for three weeks.

Nutrition has been a huge achilles heal for me. So I hired a sports nutritionist to help me out. Kyla has been a life saver! She worked up a race plan for me and it actually WORKED! For the first time a race rehearsal that didn't fall apart at the seams. 

I feel very honored to be training and eventually racing with you all. 

• Options
    My new toy just arrived! I got me an Aerojacket! Looking forward to seeing how it flies. Have a feeling, with the wind around here, that it's going to be interesting! 
  • Options

After my 2nd attempt, and first finish at IMWI last year I vowed that I was going to take a year off from Ironman to focus on short course. Then I got bored and missed training. IMSR sucked me in because it's an EN key race and it's in my new backyard of San Francisco. Time to get honest - Fast forward to today and my training has been, quite frankly, terrible. Running is good. Swimming and biking bad. Mostly due to motivation. I love getting on my bike and going for a swim, I'm just struggling with the volume and the amount of focus that I know I need to be successful. I feel like I'm at a point where I need to decide 1) buck up and get this shit done, it's just a few weeks 2) Be ok with potentially not finishing, or doing as well as I hoped, but still enjoying the journey without being totally invested or 3) decide that it's not my year for another Ironman and tap out.

....walk away from computer. decide whether or not to post this. question life....

I think #1 sounds good. The other options would be too easy, and at the end of the day I love this sport and a good challenge. I have a lot of work to do in the next 11 weeks. I'm ready to make this fun. Looking forward to sharing the experience with all of you!

• Options
    @Lindsay Blumenshein~ Only you can decide to get it done! I have been looking forward to meeting you and racing with you! We adore you either way! 
  • Options
    @Jacklyn Moore - don't give the wheel cover a second thought.  Almost all tug from the wind comes on the front wheel. Your weight is primarily on the rear wheel and will keep it planted even in the wind.  I've begun to think the comments on disc wheels is some sort of triathlon myth that keeps perpetuating itself.  Here's the other thing that is important to know about deep dish wheels, particularly the front -- the paradox is that while deep dish wheels are harder to handle in high winds, that is precisely when they are most effective.  So practicing with deep wheels in windy conditions is essential to improve your confidence in handling them and getting the speed they offer in higher yaw.  When yaw = 0 degrees (i.e., the wind is coming from straight ahead), there is virtually no benefit to deep wheels or that disc cover.  Fortunately, there is almost always yaw. 
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2017 2:41AM
    Thanks Paul. Plan for next weeks BIG DAY Protocol #2.
  • Options
    Heads up everyone. Next week is a Big Day Protocol #2. I will be executing like a ninja, I hope, on Wednesday. I hope everyone had a great weekend! 
  • Options
    All...just wanted to wish everyone on this thread great luck on your upcoming IM Santa Rosa.  It looks like all of you are killing it with your training.  I just finished up the 70.3 version of SR last week, and recently posted an extensive race report.  There may be some pearls there for the 140.6, so check it out.  Best of luck and be ready for the likelihood of a hot race day!  Looking at IM SR for 2018 so let me know how it goes.