Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

2017 Raleigh 70.3 Race Plan

edited May 26, 2017 4:04AM in Racing Forum 🏎

OutSeason went great for the bike portion. This is my first OutSeason and my first time training with power. My run was going good but had to scale back due to injury in February. Race build has been consistent no major surprises. Run is feeling healthy now. Im at 3.69 w/kg and Vdot 48. 

Pre-race
I arrive in Raleigh Thursday night. Will do grocery run and food prep for the weekend after getting settled in. 

Friday expo and gather equipment possibly drive bike course and checkout swim area.

Saturday morning, I’ll eat a big breakfast and continue salting, heavily if crazy heat is predicted . I’ll drive my bike 30 miles out to the swim/T1. I’ll spend enough time as needed to memorize bike rack location compared to swim-in and bike-out, and visually plan my transition (will take lots of photos). I’ll swim up to 500 yards if it’s open, just to get a feel for currents and sighting and to try my aero jersey under the speedsuit. After that, I’ll drive the bike course back to downtown Raleigh and meet anyone for lunch who wants to meet up. After lunch, I’ll walk over and check out T2, again spending as much time as needed to plan for a speedy transition. Rest of the afternoon is chilling. Eat a turkey sandwich or something similar by 6pm, in bed by 9.

Race Morning
Up at 4:00am to eat my 700-800 calories (apple sauce, banana, Gatorade Endurance, 1/2 Picky Bar). Sunscreen, lube and put on aero top and bottom and head out to set up T2 . Then catch a shuttle bus out to the swim start no later than 5:30am. My wave starts at 8:00, so I’ll sip Gatorade until 7:00, at which point I’ll have a gel and cool it on the liquids for a bit. Once at T1, I’ll fill up the tires (85,90psi), load my aero bottle with Gatorade and put a second bottle on the downtube. Install and turn on Garmin 520, calibrating with the PM and acquiring satellite signal. Shoes on bike, proper gears selected. Off to the swim start. Will swim just a bit if allowed and it's convenient.  At 7:45, I’ll have another gel and chase with some water.

Swim
The swim is a big clockwise triangle, with buoys on the right. Stay at the front, hugging the buoy line and keeping a smooth, fast turnover right at threshold pace. If one or more guys are right there, I’ll graciously accept their offer to follow their bubbles. I’ll do my best to be patient as I begin to move through the waves in front of me. The last third of the triangle I will maintain focus, not letting up, not straying from the buoy line.
As for goal time, 42-44 mins

T1
I’ll quickly jog toward my bike, pulling my speedsuit down to my waist, goggles and cap off. Once at the rack, I’ll pull the suit down to my knees and start kicking out of it while I put on and buckle my helmet. Stuff suit and goggles in the T1 bag (mandatory), grab bike and go. Shoes already on the bike.
Time goal 1:30-40

Bike
There’s five or so miles of admin, including a decent climb, right out of TA. Only goal here is to be safe, keeps watts around 75% (188w) HR should be 145 or lower and settle in for first 20 min. Once out of the park and onto the highway, the roads are moderately rolling. Lots of speed can be had here, but I plan to grab that speed by being very aero and not by over-powering the section like much of the field will. Shoulders slightly hunched, chin on BTA bottle straw. I’ll let the watts grow into the 80-85% range (200-213w) HR 153-155, paying attention to HR and watts. Ninja execution when facing headwind, hill, etc. The hills really start at Mile 30 (and continue until the end of the ride). Steady up without spiking watts, start accelerating at the crest, keep power up on the way down, carry momentum into the next one, repeat. Ninja gearing. Keep the VI below 1.03 or 1.04. 

Bike Nutrition
Drink up to two bottles of Gatorade Endurance per hour I'm expecting the heat and humidity. 
Plan to pee at least once, probably twice on the bike. Goal is to roll into T2 fully hydrated, but with an empty/happy stomach.
At the very end of the bike, we make a sharp left, then climb straight uphill to transition. I’ll have my feet loose and climbing gear engaged before making that final turn.  As for time goal, it all really depends on the wind. Being a point-to-point course, there’s usually a headwind, be mentally prepared for anything.
Goal 2:40:00-2:45:00

T2
Helmet off, socks and shoes on, grab go-bag and run. During the run out, Ill put on hat, race belt and salt pills in pocket. 
Time goal 1:45-50

Run
The course is a pretty simple out-and-back, done twice. It has plenty of hills, with a net up on the way out, net down coming back into town. Raleigh has 563 feet, so it won’t be a walk in the park by any stretch. Fortunately, just like the bike, the layout plays into the hands of the EN-trained athlete. Many racers will destroy their run on the first three uphill miles in thick humid heat. I should average 155-158HR the last hour of the bike. For the first three miles of the run, I will cap the effort at the top of Z2 160.  After that, I’ll let HR move into Z3 (162-169).
At Mile 10 allow HR to move into 170s (Z4 169-180) for the rest of the race. 

Run Nutrition
mostly gatorade, salt stick and h2o as needed. I’ll fill my go-bag with ice at each station, and ice in jersey and everywhere else.
As for time, the conditions will dictate a lot. Hoping for 1:40-1:45 but conditions for the day and heart rate will ultimately dictate run.

Special thanks to @Mike Roberts , I stole your 2016 race plan for my template.  
I put this together kinda quick so all advice is welcome. Thanks Team

Comments

• Options
    Solid plan!  You'll crush it.  You're well trained/fit, know your numbers (hr/watts) and have a well thought out nutrition plan. Now, it's all about execution. One comment, you mentioned expecting heat/humidity...do you a pacing and/or HR targets fir high temps? Since you survived the heat at IM Chatt 2016, I'm sure you know what to do/expect.

I'm looking forward to seeing your results.  Good luck.
  • Options
    Nice plan! I'll have to remember this one :). I have nothing to add other than have fun and execute. 
  • Options
    Thanks guys for taking the time to read,  I actually just finished up my nutrition plan and proofing it today on my last RR. 
    @Derrek Sanks I've had a few decent heat days so I remember how my hr likes to jump up in those conditions. 
    @Tim Sullivan I always try to look for the WSM race reports and plans. They make me smarter, I hope
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2017 3:28PM
    Hey Josh,

T1 is simple, and you can master it when you drop your bike off on Saturday. Bring wetsuit, even though likely illegal.  Swim is against the current, so be mentally prepared to swim 5-7 min slower than usual and be ok with it. 

Bike course is one of my favories. Not technical, not crowded. A couple of small-chain climbs, but mostly rolling, esp after 30.  This year I'll definitely take an ice water bath at the last AS. 

I thought my feet would burn on the asphalt T2, but not an issue. 

Five feet into the run, the heat hit me like a brick. Instead of deploying my EN secrets and sucking it up, I wilted, crumbled and never recovered. I was sick last year and wasn't acclimated. We're already in the 90's in NC, so hopefully I'll be better prepared. No shade. Wide roads, not crowded, AS's are on the left. Only one hill really affects your gait (going up and down it); the rest just rolls constantly. The hills don't make it difficult - the soul-sucking heat does. Big, friendly crowds throughout. Can't retrieve bike until 2pm, so time for shower and lunch. 

I arrive Fri late afternoon. Let's do a team dinner that evening or breakfast or lunch on Sat. Looking forward to catching up with you. 

MR
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2017 3:29PM
    Website and my computer are friends again. Sorry for multiple posts. 
  • Options
    Very nice Josh,  you can't ever lose by copying a @Mike Roberts  race plan.

"Many racers will destroy their run on the first three uphill miles in thick humid heat. I should average 155-158HR the last hour of the bike. For the first three miles of the run, I will cap the effort at the top of Z2 160."

... that is a great strategy!  If it's humid start salting right away, and get ice as soon as possible.  With hills it may be difficult to stay at top of zone 2; don't panic if HR drifts into low Z3 but definitely use the "I am in control" mantra in those early run miles
  • Options
    @Paul Curtin thanks Paul.  I'll definitely have salt pills in my hip pocket if needed. I'm thinking I can hopefully get my HR to drop some on the downhill back into town, hopefully. 
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2017 3:01PM
    @Mike Roberts up for the team dinner/breakfast/lunch. 
    @Brenda Ross is there usually a groupme for 70.3? 
  • Options
    Nice plan Josh.  My adds-Keep air pressure low in your tires when you drop off at T1 the day before.  Every year, the heat pops several tires sitting in the sun all day.  I drop off as late as I can and keep pressure down until race morning.  Swim/Bike plan looks solid.  On the run, (if the sun is out) do everything you can to fight the heat.  I purposely ran as much of the course as possible in the shade, which means looking for the shade on or along the sidewalks.  The heat can be the toughest part of this race.  Go crush it!
  • Options
    @Josh Church - if there are more than 4 people racing yes there is a group me fired up.