Home General Training Discussions
Options

Ventum One or Ventum Z?

I am thinking about upgrading my bike (I currently have a Felt F4 with Vision aerobars that have an integrated stem) and would like to get some input. I've been looking at the Ventum and trying to decide whether the extra money for the Ventum One is worth it. I am not sure of all the differences, but here is what I think I know.

The Ventum One and the Ventum Z have the same frame shape.
The Ventum One is lighter (not sure by how much) because the One uses lighter and more expensive carbon compared to the Ventum Z (one reason the Ventum Z costs less).
The Ventum One has the fairing covering the front brake and the Di2 junction box (some aero savings but not sure how much this matters?).
The fork on the One is the Ventum All-Carbon Aerofoil Fork and the fork on the Z is the 3T Funda Team Carbon. 
The crankset on the Z is the Shimano FC 5800 and on the One is the Shimano Ultegra 6800 11spd 53/39. Does this make a big difference?
I wouldn't spend the money for the Dura-Ace components so that's not an issue for me.

And finally, the One does look better.

Is there anything else I'm missing? 
My general question is whether or not the approximate difference of $2,700 (without the EN discount) for the One is worth it? I am new to the sport so I am not sure what I should be focusing on.  It seems that with our discount, the Ventum Z is at a REALLY good price point. 

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    I don't have a Ventum, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express during BRC camp!  :#

• having picked up a Ventum One Frame and knowing how heavy it IS, I'd only consider that one (and I am)
    • the aero savings can not be casually tossed aside, that's the reason why we ride TT bikes in Tri & not road bikes. TT bikes in general ARE heavier, but the aero wattage savings quickly negates that. 
    • as for what looks better to you, as I did a new road bike a few months ago, a friend counseled me that if you don't enjoy looking at your bike and the feeling you get from riding such a great machine, don't spend the money. That IS part of the value and the game.
    • I think with our discount, BOTH bikes are great values. Also, the team at Ventum has been incredible to deal with (and I haven't bought one yet), the focus that EN gets from them cannot be undervalued. 

My $.02
  • Options
    The F4 is a road bike right?   If that's the case you have so much benefit from a fit and aerodynamic perspective that either would be a big step up.  
    Beyond that...delineating between need and want is where it gets subjective.    The data shows that a non-integrated front end doesn't impact much aerodynamically but as Scott points out it is sure a lot less visually appealing.   You have to determine if you agree, if that matters to you, and ultimately if you are willing to pay more for it.  
    The bike is not the lightest...but at the end of the day that doesn't matter much either.  I've had multiple PRs in mine with roughly equivalent FTP.  

I feel you do end up going the Ventum route I can tell you the team there is first class and incredibly supportive/helpful.  I remember Facetiming with Jimmy Seear when I go at mine as he walked me through the front fairing setup.  

You are a strong rider...and ultimately that is most of the battle.   Neither of these bikes will have a meaningful performance differential so get whatever your desire and budget allow.  
  • Options
    Is there an integrated bento box? If not, are folks strapping one around the fluid container?
  • Options
    @Gordon Polozola there is no integrated bento box yet....  I talked with Rachel from Ventum at IM Texas and she said that they are working on it.  It sounded like it will be integrated with the fluid container. 
  • Options
    I know they are working on something too.  

In my races I've attached an Xlab 500 to the top of the integrated hydration which has worked great.   At first I connected with strong Velcro but now I just use small wood screws.  
  • Options
    Obviously I'm looking at a Ventum too. Those with a Ventum, any rear wheel rubbing from any flexing of the carbon from the bottom bracket to the rear cassette? You can't believe everything you read on the internet but I saw that in a tri website review. 
  • Options
    None at all.   I ride Enve 7.8s.  The frame is stiffer than you can imagine.   Much more so than my old Dimond.   
  • Options

If I were you, I would wait for the results of this INDEPENDENT testing to see how the Ventum fares period.  If it tests well, then you can make a decision on the frame.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/An_independent_aero_super_bike_test__6309.html

• Options
    @Paul Hough thanks for the info!  Looking forward to those testing results either way. I'm certainly looking for a bike that "just works" - I'd rather not be the guinea pig for "oops, yep, we need to fix that issue in the next production".  A nice standard P5 could do too. 
  • Options
    Tim, I too have purchased a Ventum One, but unlike Jeremy and Scott, I am not a stud rider or super informed on all things aero.  What I do know it I'm 53 and looking to cheat slowing down and I chose the Ventum One to help me with that.  I've not gotten much outdoor riding on it as it arrived in late October last year, but I have ridden in a lot on the trainer. So far, I love it.  I rode a Felt B10 with Di2 for six years and am spoiled, and the Ventum with Ultegra is just as good in my opinion.  

Rachael did a LOT of hand holding with me during the purchase process.  I asked a lot of questions (as I stated above, I LOVE riding bikes, but really don't know much about how they work lol) and she was MORE than patient with A) all my tech questions that needed more explanation and B) my very long process to decide to pull the trigger.  

I have a wonderful bike shop that made it harder to buy from someone else, but in the end, the fantastic customer service and the awesome deal we received from being in the haus got me into a super bike at a price point I could not ignore.  Now it's time to get it all dialed in, do the hard work to build my engine as strong as I can and ride on!  

Good luck in your process!  Oh, and x2 about Scotts comments of being excited to ride your new bike.  It makes a big difference if you ask me!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.  

@Paul Hough I wonder when that report will come out. I really like the way that Diamondback Andean looks. 
  • Options
    Tim, it should be out by late May or early June.
  • Options
    @Trish Marshall- Glad to read your comments here. I was concerned that the Ventum would be far too much bike for my experience and ability levels. I also believe that investment in gear that provides significant advantage is money well spent. I'm currently on a road bike with aero bars and have much room for improvement. My "aero" position kills my neck on longer rides. I'm still on the fence and am looking around at used tri bikes as well, but with the team discount, it's hard to beat the bang for the buck of the Ventum.