Home General Training Discussions
Options

Stages PM for MTB

Only because I don't have enough PMs to deal with (p1s on my road bike, quarq on my tri bike), but was thinking about getting a stages for my mtb.

I've got a 175mm race face/sram crank for my pivot (PF30 BB, with x01 eagle 1x12 cassette).

Any ideas on where to get them cheaper than the $700 I'm seeing retail new? I cannot seem to find any on ebay or craigslist, but I'm not super-smart-savvy-shopper for those sites.

Comments

• Options
    Got a big discount from my LBS to buy a Stages, so I pulled the plug. It was put on last night and I'll use it for my xterra this weekend.

I rode with it for the first time last night, and with that MTB being almost 28lbs, I'm almost always at my FTP to push my fat arse around, WAY more than I thought I'd be. Crazy.
  • Options
    @Scott Alexander I bought a Stages PM for my MTB a few months ago.  It was a close out and only $400, so I figured why not?  I'll say it's not as useful as a PM on a road or tri bike.  I can rarely look down to see power reading, especially on single track.  On long climbs on fire roads, it is a bit more useful to hit a target power. The VI on most rides is crazy, usually like 1.3.  I'm hoping it will help keep me from blowing up at the Leadville MTB 100.
  • Options
    @Gabe Peterson, exactly. Not so worried about it as a whip, but need more of a chain for climbing! I've got Firecracker 50 in Breckenridge CO on 4th of July, so I'm worried about that too!

As for VI...I'd be ashamed of those VIs on the road, but do occasionally hit them on roadie rides with the surge/recover mentality.
  • Options
    I have a Powertap on my 29er for a couple years.  I like it for the post ride data.  If you start doing a lot of road and MTB rides, it will screw with you numbers in Training Peaks.  I like knowing the TSS and as well seeing the watts for big surges and steeps grinds.