Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Chattanooga
Options

Week 5/20

Tomorrow (Monday) we have 15 weeks left to train for the Ironman.  I hope everybody enjoyed June coming on in.  For many of us, it meant high humidity and temperatures escalating.  m

Comments

• Options

I just watched the weekly tng videos for weeks 4 & 5 since today is my rest day.  "Building the Run for Race Day” --- here is the skinny:  1.  Consistency early on in this training is key.  2.  Frequency , basically get in the number of runs the coach has determined 3.  To use as a tool to ensure the frequent, consistent runs, use a mileage chart as in STRAVA to help keep on track (example 25-30 miles).  The goal of having frequent runs and being consistent = run durability.  4.  Your long run is your BEST possible race day performance. i.e.. meaning that a miracle will not occur on race day but that your long run pace is what you will be WISHING for on race day!!!  However, slow or sluggish you feel on long run day now... that will feel like heaven on race day (my words not Coach Patrick's!).  What you do now on your long run is your best predictor of how race day will go.  For the video about cycling from Coach Rich:  The fast workouts built for during the week, will work together with the long weekend workouts.  If you can go fast for X number of minutes then over time, it will merge into also going longer for a faster time.  The Sunday ride is “Always be Pushing” which is also crucial. It takes focus on already tired legs, and an excellent training to ride at zone 3 once warmed up.  Okay that is what I learned.