Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Santa Rosa
Options

IM Santa Rosa Training May 29 - June 5

Week 12 - Be a Scientist

Hope everyone had a great BIG DAY!! Let’s hear about it!!

This week is a test week.  The coaches want us to focus on the following:

- Measure

- Gather Data

- Don’t forget to Sweat Test

When you head to an Ironman event, you will see lots of athletes suffer because they did not know something as simple as having a nutrition plan.  However- in the “haus”, EN’rs know how important EXECUTION is because we practiced and show up prepared. Lots of little things can take a toll on you over 140.6 miles.  Having muscles be so tight on the run from poor form on the bike. Not knowing sodium totals to account for the change in temperature on the course.  Not knowing their power meter numbers, not knowing thier heart rate numbers in case power meter fails, etc. Coach Patrick has said how important it is to have multiple "A games" because so many things can change within a race. This is what we talk about when we say "stay inside your box" You can adapt and change to the things outside of your control on the course but that comes from testing, gathering data about your body, how it reacts to nutrition, heat, cold, rain etc. And those results are gathered now. Be a scientist, a student of your body as an athlete in this sport. This is another reason why posting in the forum and weekly training recaps is critical!!!

Here are the sweat test rules in case you forgot or haven't done one in awhile

1) Weigh yourself nude right before a run.

2) Run at race pace for one hour, keeping track of how much you drink (in ounces) during the run.

3) After the run, strip down, towel off any sweat, and weigh yourself nude again.

4) Subtract your weight from your prerun weight and convert to ounces. Then add to that number however many ounces of liquid you consumed on your run. (For example, if you lost a pound and drank 16 ounces of fluid, your total fluid loss is 32 ounces.)

5) To determine how much you should be drinking about every 15 minutes, divide your hourly fluid loss by 4 (in the above example it would be 8 ounces).

6) Because the test only determines your sweat losses for the environmental conditions you run in that day, you should retest on another day when conditions are different to see how your sweat rate is affected. You should also redo the test during different seasons, in different environments (such as higher or lower altitudes), and as you become faster, since pace also affects your sweat rate.

P.S. Ya'll Rock - Now go out there and crush it!

Comments

• Options
    Definitely good advice to always be gathering data.  Nothing worse than having your power meter not function 5 miles into your ironman race and not have a backup plan of knowing your heart rate zones.  I did not test this week since I tested not too long ago.  I did last weeks bike on Tuesday.  Long split run today.  Part one done. I'm always weighing myself before and after workouts to evaluate my fluid requirements.  I'm also tracking all my nutrition for the longer workouts.   As the long bike extends in time I will be keying in on my five hour power numbers.
  • Options
    Anyone else doing Santa Rosa?  I seem to be the only one posting anything.

Did 40' run then 4 1/2 hour bike.  Tough but learned some good fluid lessons.
  • Options
    Tom, keep posting.  Others will benefit and putting you mojo out there is good karma for the EN universe.  You'll remember that I did the half and I appreciated you feedback.  I notice for your tag line that you'll also be doing IMAZ.  Me too.  Keep working for that big day, and looking forward to our IMAZ thread later this summer and fall.

• Options
    I just found this! Super cool.

I thought the sweat test was on the bike? I haven't done the run version before. Should be interesting. Still having a problem with swelling. Nothing seems to affect it. It just happens. More sodium. less sodium. My nutrition person is on vacation currently. Looking forward to getting with her to figure this problem out.

So far training has been going well. Thought I ko'd my knee Wednesday night. But seems to be doing fine. Put on my aero shell for the long ride. What a blast! I did not expect the improved handling at all. No issue with noise or vibration. Significant improvement on speed. Unfortunately did not help with climbing. It still sucks!

Have been looking ahead and getting nervous about wk 7,8,9. That is a lot of work. I have week 7,8 off of work so that will help. I did schedule a short two day camping trip after week 7. Regroup for me and the family. Gotta keep them happy too.

Onwards EN soldiers!
  • Options
    Glad you found this forum @Jacklyn.  I was beginning to feel a bit lonely.  What plan are you on that has you in week 7-9?  My ironman plan has me finishing week 12 today.

Did my ABP bike this morning.  Never know how I'm going to feel for these rides but surprisingly it was doable. 

Looking ahead it does look a bit daunting but we will get through it!