Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

2017 IM Chattanooga 70.3 Race Report for Todd Middlebrooks

Disclaimer: The bulk of my training for this event was done prior to joining EN, so take this recap with a grain of salt. Also this was my first 70.3 distance event.

First off, I'm not sure if there is a preferred format for these race reports, but I based mine on Tommy's.

Race Date:  Sunday, May 21, 2017

General Info: Bib 2292 / Age 42 / Points 821

Race Day Stats:

Total Time / AG Place / Overall Place: 06:35:34 / 212 / 1778

●      Swim Time / AG / Gender / OA: 00:24:04 / 212 / 1148 / 1717 *swim .81 miles 1:30/100yd

●      T1 Time: 07:40

●      Bike Time / AG / Gender / OA: 3:26:04 / 225 / 1279 / 1921

●      T2 Time: 04:53

●      Run Time / AG / Gender / OA: 2:32:56 / 212 / 1189 / 1778

SWIM DETAILS

Swim Goal: Finish swim.

Did you achieve it? Yes. The race was somewhat self seeded with groups of estimated finish times. I started in the way back (50+ minute finish group) intentionally to have more space and not get run over by faster swimmers. This worked out well and gave me plenty of room to avoid panic. The current was pretty strong and helped a good bit when making the turn to head straight downstream. I did have to clear my fogged goggles a few times, which I anticipated. When I reminded myself to focus on form and count my strokes I was able to stay calm and actually pass quite a few people - pretty rare for me on a swim.

What helped or prevented you from achieving it? I think eliminating the upstream portion of the swim, thus shortening it, helped me mentally. Initially I was frustrated, because I wanted to do the "full swim." However, I focused on what I could control, which was the fact that I had done the new distance many many times while training. Ironman had made their decision to shorten the swim and that was the new full distance and I can live with that.

https://www.strava.com/activities/999446858

BIKE DETAILS | Division Rank: 225 

Bike Goal: Primary goal was to finish the bike with good nutrition to prep me for the run and avoid cramping. In the back of my mind I was hoping to finish in 3:30-3:45. I only starting cycling last June and this would be my longest ride ever.

Did you achieve it? Yes and no. While I was pleased with my time overall and never felt like I was struggling on the bike, I did ultimately have a little trouble on the run. I know that was due to execution on the bike. I felt like I did okay on my nutrition. I had 80oz total of Infinit between three bottles, and I also took a Huma gel every 40-60 minutes. I did stop to pee at mile 30, after which I felt better and was able to ride in aero much more comfortably. During the bike I was almost regretting running lower tire pressure (because of the threat of rain), giving up a little speed. In hindsight I'm glad I did though, because sections of the course were fairly rough and I saw many tire changers along the course - one thing I didn't want to deal with in my first big race.

What helped or prevented you from achieving it?  I think limited time in the saddle hurt me some. I just haven't been riding long and I think it showed. While my nutrition wasn't terrible, I know I need to dial it in - there is definitely room for improvement. Lastly, and I hate to even mention this really but, I think using a tri bike at this distance would be a huge improvement. My Trek road bike got me to T2 just fine and I'm not blaming gear for my weak engine, but I think a more comfortable aero position is very important.

https://www.strava.com/activities/999446949

RUN DETAILS | Division Rank: 212

Bike Goal: Finish under 2:30 and not cramp off of the bike.

Did you achieve it? Not so much. After the decent bike, I felt like the run wasn't going to be too bad. I was mistaken. I think part my issue was my attitude regarding the two loop course. The entire first loop I was dreading having to repeat that loop again. This was a huge mental mistake. I did my best to keep my HR around the bike average for the first few miles, but it wanted to start creeping up on me. When my HR got back to where I wanted it, my pace really suffered. I used a custom Infinit mix for the run as well. This ran out a little earlier than expected and I transitioned to Gatorade at the aid stations. I had tested Gatorade during training, so this wasn't really an issue. I never really felt gassed on the run, but my legs came and went and tightened up on me occasionally late into the run. Around mile 7 I started taking on Coke at every other aid station, while taking cold sponges and Gatorade in between. This was only my third half marathon, so I was still pretty happy with my time. 

What helped or prevented you from achieving it? I feel like I need to work on bike execution and mental strength. I honestly was most worried about the swim and felt pretty good about the run, but that got turned on it's head. In stand alone half marathons, I've been able to push my body through the pain and just keep running. It was much more difficult to do that after swimming and biking.

https://www.strava.com/activities/999447060

Transition Details

T1: Swim-to-bike 00:07:37
T2: Bike-to-run 00:04:53

Transitions: Ironically, I didn't really set transition goals.

My transition times were a good bit longer than I would've liked, but since I didn't set goals, I wasn't that upset about it. With the threat of rain my bike seat and handlebars were covered with bags and my bike and run gear were in separate ziplock bags. Getting into all of that took more time that it would've normally, but I was assured everything would be nice and dry when I got to it.

Overall Lessons Learned

Writing this race report has forced me to rehash how things went and what I can do in the future to improve. I do not want to imply in any way that I had a negative experience though. Quite the opposite - this event was incredible! This was my first half Ironman, a baseline. Every time, no matter how slow, was a PR for me. The event was very well organized. The volunteers and the people of Chattanooga were incredible. They certainly seem to welcome the event and the athletes to their city. It was also great to meet fellow EN teammates Sabra and Tommy at the athlete briefing. Though we only talked for a short time, it went a long way to help me feel a part of a team. The GroupMe chat was great too - always good to have communication with others on the ground at the event, and that was a great way informed and in touch.

Walking to transition Sunday morning at 5AM I was beside myself. I just kept saying "this is it, this is what I've been training for." The whole experience was somewhat surreal. Having my family there to support me was very special. My wife is incredible and I cannot thank her enough for supporting me in this crazy endurance rabbit hole that I've fallen into. Seeing and hearing my three boys cheer me on makes all of the hard work worthwhile. My primary goal is to show them that with hard work and consistent effort they can achieve absolutely anything they set their minds to. I thought about them a lot while I was on the course and it made me emotional at times. 

While the day had it's ups and downs, the one thing I was certain of was that I would be running through the finish strong. I didn't have a plan when entering the chute; no grand celebrations in mind. When I saw my full support crew cheering me on, I just threw my arms up and began cheering back at them. Unscripted, it just happened. All together we had done it. I was the one that crossed the finish line, but I had them with me. Afterwards, I was reviewing a video they had taken at the finish line and my wife said to me, "that sums it all up." It took me six months to get to the start line, 6:35:34 to get to the finish line and with that epic celebration scream it was done. The pain, the anxiety and the epic satisfaction all came out. I can't wait to experience it again!

Comments