Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

IMLP Training June 5 - 12

Alrighty folks- how ya’ll doin?!? It’s AWESOME to read your posts and hear how things are going! Things are certainly ramping up but ya’ll are ROCKSTARS!

So the coaches declared last week a “Run Focus Week”.  What that means is if possible, aim for a few more than your "typical" week by either inserting another run day or adding a small amount to every run you do.   HOWEVER- This is entirely optional, it simply plays into their separate build / taper approach for managing fitness by discipline across your Race Prep phase.

In saying that, as we start the week- check in with yourself.  How are you feeling? How’s your body handling the training stress? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE watch Coach Patrick’s discussion on cumulative fatigue under Week 14 IM video.  (Located on the right side of your Training Plan page).

He shares some EXTREMELY important and valuable information about smart training.

With each week comes a little more excitement for the BIG DAY! So let’s talk about this week.  ALSO- Coach P did a great video about how to approach this week of training- check it out!, read more in depth in the forums on Race Rehearsal weekends.  I would recommend if you have specific questions Patrick, GET THOSE IN THE MICRO forums NOW! Don't wait to ask them a questions on Friday night for Saturday morning!

Things to Remember:

• Rest! Cumulative la ck of recovery can impact race rehearsal - Can take a break Monday or Thursday if you need (If you're going to camp then this works out great as Thursday is your travel day)

• Workouts that are focused and require the most dedication:

Good interval bike

Good Interval run

Think at the start of this week.

• What do I need this weekend to get ready. Get your equipment dialed in.

• Pacing

• Get out there and JRA - 1 hour 1.5 then to steady pace

• Fueling plan

• Run - first three miles LRP plus 30” per mile. First three miles to settle in - mark the transition and take stock of how you feel

Keep on CRUSHIN’ it Team!!!

Comments

• Options
    Kicked off the week with another COLD swim yesterday and some strength work.... Today was 55 degrees and pouring rain all day so hit the Trainer/TM in the basement... That oughta be against the law in JUNE... Normally I do FTP tues and V02 thurs but flipped it so I can do the FTP outside ..... The 6 x 3' vo2 I chose just about killed me, I literally got off the bike twice to just walk around trying not to puke, even took my shirt and earphones off as they were making me feel claustrophobic...... This was a ride I built in TR back in Feb 2013 when I was very hungry and on a longterm training plan for my first KQ at IMTX... Barely survived at 95% of 218FTP vs. 100% at 231FTP back then... But hey it is what it is!..... Got my earphones back on for the 3.5mile brick on the TM and forgot how much I like to get pumped by lyrics before my races....BTW I never wear earphones outside !
    https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/workouts/9902-180-180-s
  • Options
    Tried out the new race kit.  Fits pretty good
  • Options
    @tim cronk I've been looking at the weather out east LP has been very cold and rainy as well.  The 14 day forecast has only 2 days just touching the 80's but most are just approaching 70 with rain (below normal).  I'd like a nice sunny 70's day but the current 46 and rain would be pretty chilly for sure. It will be warmer in July but hopefully you can get out for some rides soon.

My week's messed up but I knew that coming in FTP work (30') Yesterday,  then a 30' run after work.  Swim this morning for 3200M.
  • Options
    Been out in Al Camp land.. I promised myself that I'd run more and bike less and try to do my own thing. Virtually impossible here, will be filing a full report on this camp next week. 
    highlights are 400+ miles of biking in the 5 days I've done thus far, tomorrow is my last day with a short 44 miler before packing up to fly home. 
    the highlight ride was up and over Independence Pass yesterday. So, most of us climbed it two times. while a 100 mile ride with 10000' of climbing is something I've done before, doing it at 8500-12,000' is a different story. 

https://www.strava.com/activities/1024482525
    https://www.relive.cc/view/g12112120236
  • Options
    @Scott Dinhofernice work with all that riding at altitude.

Two more runs in the books 30' yesterday and my first actual long run 120' just scraped over 10 miles.  Nothing felt too out of place and right on my paces 60'@TRP and 60' zn2 with a little push at the end.  We will see how I feel tomorrow.
  • Options
    @GC- keep plugging 

@SD- Huge week ... cant wait for more details

@JD- looking good

Today was an OWS swim (first 1hr swim since UMFL) in much warmer water finally.... cant believe the lake has warmed up from 58 to 64 in 2 days but I'll take it and we have warm air coming although its raining again at the moment... Gotta admit I am struggling with motivation and discipline so far this year... Cant seem to attack my wko's and 2 days ago went off the deep end eating way too much.... Reeling it back in and trying to motivate for a big ride tomorrow!
  • Options
    @Scott Dinhofer - Your trip looked amazing.  The altitude training and huge mileage should pay big dividends this season.
    @Gordon Cherwoniak Nice work getting in the long runs!
    @Jubal Dais - Nice kit.  I am still pretty new here and just bought the LG top and EN jacket.  I wasn't sure what size shirt I would need, so I hesitated and missed the order window.
    @tim cronk Motivation has been hard to come by this spring with all the cold and wet weather.

Today was the first really nice day in CT this spring/summer.  Sunny and in the 70s with low humidity.  Woke up at 4:45 am.  Ran 3 miles at slower than TRP and then rode 76 miles at 17.1 mph with 4K feet of ascent.  I am looking for new roads to ride because my Saturday rides are getting so long.

I started the week licking my wounds from Quassy.  Monday, I did some light spinning and stretched.  I am starting to get banged up, so I am trying to stretch four or five times a week for 10-15 minutes.  My calves are tight, leading to some heel pain.  Also, climbing on the bike is leading to some inflation in my piriformis/hip stabilizers.  My goal is to return to stretching and core workouts so I don't get repitition injuries in the IMLP home stretch.

For the week, I have run five times for 29 miles.  Tomorrow, I plan to get another six - to reach 35 miles for the week.  I was in DC for work, and got one long run and one short run around the National Mall.  Crowded with tourists, but a great place to run.  

I have ridden 105 miles, and will get in another 30 tomorrow. 

I am behind schedule for swimming.  I couldn't get up early on Monday because I was tired from Quassy, and have not found the opportunity to make up for that swim.  Last night, I did a 3k yard session with drills for a 1000k and then 2k yards in two long intervals.

On the equipment side, I need to get zip ties to lock down my aerobar bottle platform.  I swapped out the cage, only to realize I didn't have any extra zip ties after I cut the one that was on there.  Also, my bike computer died.  I am looking at the Garmin 520 and 820.  I was thinking of using my 920xt, like I did at Quassy.  However, after today, I realize that I can't see the watch face unless I move my arm.  That slows me down and makes the bike wobble a bit, so I am getting a bike computer replacement.  Finally, the tip of my presta valve snapped off this morning when I inflated the tires.  Therefore, I am going to have to swap that out today.  I have cut my hands every time I have changed the tire on my Zipps.  Hopefully, today I will fare a little better.  

Good luck everyone!

• Options
    edited June 11, 2017 6:48PM
    @Patrick MarshNice work coming off Quassy and good luck with the tire change

For me no Swim on Friday. Today 20' run and 4.5 hours on the bike trainer again.  245 TSS @.73 right where I'm supposed to be.  Hopefully I have some energy tomorrow as we have friends coming over tonight for awhile. Swim and a quick ABP ride are planned for tomorrow with the swim as mandatory as it will be only my 2nd swim of the week.
  • Options
    Had a successful week.  17hrs SBR w/1.5hrs strength , 1062 TSS, 14k OWS and yes the water has finally warmed up from 58 to 68 in less than a week,  175miles on the bike including a 2 x 20' FTP , a 6 x 3' V02, long bike was 5hrs of quality going 4hrs @ .68-.71 then doing 35' of .85 in the last hour, 35 miles run with one speed session of 6 x .5miles and a nice progressive long run today....

Bad News- as shown by my FTP work this week is about 10w below where I thought it was, hoping I was just tired... Also my right hip "awareness" is still concerning me... dont feel it while running and its not affecting me but I worry after last years hip fracture on the other side.

Hope everyone had a great week!  Lets hear it! 6 weeks left
  • Options

Solid work everyone. 

@scott dinhofer I'm jealous.

@tim cronk I dont know how you can crank out that kind of distance on a track without music

I got everything I'd planned in this week minus a run yesterday.  I'm feeling stronger/recovered from being sick & was able to hit intensity target on Tues run and my FTP work on Wed.  Got in a 92mi ride outside yesterday (first long ride not on trainer in a long time).  On the back half it was low 90s & humid, so if LP is as hot as it was in '15 I'm on my way to acclimatizing...

Next weekend is going to be a challenge as I have an out of town wedding to attend.  4 hours of drive time on Fri & Sun is going to eat into workouts.

• Options
    Back in Virginia after an epic week of riding and running in Aspen CO.  After 5 days of riding (2 of which were back to back centuries) at altitude I capped off the week with my very first ultra Ragnar relay. Riding over 400 miles (40k feet of climbing) then running 29 miles (5k feet of climbing) in 20 hours at altitude I have officially claimed this week my toughest training week leading up to an Ironman EVER!  Lots of riding and running with zero swimming.  That said, I know what I will be doing this upcoming week :)
  • Options
    @Danielle SantucciStrong work at the camp
    @Scott Renick Nice bounce back week.  I'm not hoping for weather that hot, somewhere in the 70's would be nice.  I bet if feels nice to get off the trainer.

I finished up the week with at 3500M swim in 1:23:20 so 2:23 per 100.  I did fade a bit in the last 2 500's @11:58 but the 2nd one was the worst at 11:59. Capped off the week with 60' riding 40' zn 3 stuff.

• Options
    I'm in that battle at this time between work hard for 4 more weeks til taper vs I'm tired and need some rest.
  • Options
    @Robert Sabo I'm right there with you.  I looked at the calendar yesterday and told myself yesterday only 4 more weeks of hard work until taper hoping I can manage it without too much down time.
  • Options
    Well my input here is intermittent and I'm sorry for that...some great stuff and great inspiration....Last week was solid even with work travel ...I ended up taking Friday off so Saturday I substituted a BIG DAY 1:4:1...and followed that up with Long Swim & the scheduled 90 ABP...Swimming has been lagging so looking to up that volume a bit...running has been steady 24-28miles...but I didn't over do the run focus week....work travel again this week...but all focus is on Friday Saturday & Sunday Camp.......looking for 4 solid weeks....so lets go.
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2017 9:21PM
    mispost on worng week