Home General Training Discussions
Options

Cycling shoe rec?

My 3 year old cycling shoes are just about toast. Any recommendations? Last I was in the market, wearing true road cycling shoes was just becoming a thing rather than tri specific shoes. Thanks, DS

Comments

• Options
    I really like my Giro Empires.   The laces are replaced with lock laces, so T1 is as quick as Velcro strap / boa shoes, and they are light and fit nicely.
  • Options
    I'm going with Specialized Trivent:

Light
    Cool
    Fast on and off, one velcro strap

SS
  • Options
    are these "Cycling" shoes or "tri shoes"
    a pro on ST did an article on the empires and how he converted them for use in Tri, and that he thinks they are the most aero. 
    I use the Sidi Wire for my "bike" shoes
    for tri i use the Specialize Tri Vents (version with rear opening and Boa closure) leave em on the bike whenever allowed... 
    I also use the Sidi's for colder than summer weather training rides.. 
  • Options
    Doug - for me fit was the most-important factor.  I tried the Giro Empire but it wasn't comfortable.  Went with a Bont Vaypor ... it's a road shoe but it fits very nicely
  • Options
    I've got 4 pair of Sides of various models - road, Tri, MTB - 22, 17, 12, & 5 years old. They simply do not wear out. If their shoe last is made for your feet, they are the best value for the somewhat pricey $, IMO.

If aero is your top consideration, that ST article @Scott Dinhofermentions shows the lengths to which one can go. Remember, your feet are moving twice as much air as the rest of you (going around in circles, not static), so aero-ness may make a surprising difference. For me, I'd rather focus on my fit, my engine, my wheels, and my front end (including helmet).
  • Options
    I've got 4 pair of Sides of various models - road, Tri, MTB - 22, 17, 12, & 5 years old. They simply do not wear out. If their shoe last is made for your feet, they are the best value for the somewhat pricey $, IMO.

If aero is your top consideration, that ST article @Scott Dinhofermentions shows the lengths to which one can go. Remember, your feet are moving twice as much air as the rest of you (going around in circles, not static), so aero-ness may make a surprising difference. For me, I'd rather focus on my fit, my engine, my wheels, and my front end (including helmet).
    Do you mean Sidi ?
  • Options
    @Shaughn Simmons re:trivent, these are the shoes I am replacing. In the 2.5 yrs I have owned them, both heel loops torn off, both BOA dials broke (right twice), and the white mesh now is more like poop brown. Now, that combination would normally not bother me all that much, but I am going on 1 year with achillies tendinitis and I am looking at all possible causes. Their "draw bridge" heel cup is now in my sights. The shoes feel just fine when on, but I am inclined to try something else just in case it is that shoe.
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2017 2:20AM
    I've use the Mavic Cosmic Elite for sockless long course racing. Extremely comfortable and zero blisters. Mid range (not $300) and stiff enough for me. But I tried on many shoes before I felt like one fit "just right."
  • Options
    Do you mean Sidi ?
    Si, si...Sidi
  • Options
    @Doug Sutherland - Sorry to hear about your shoes.....might be too much power??  I think you are referring to the Bike Tri Vents?  I am referring to the Triathlon shoe Tri vents, not dials, one strap only.  

I recommend you try on several different brands mentioned above by Al, Scott, Gordon and others.  Lot of good information here ..........and find the one the fits the best, aero, heat resistant, light, etc...

I have had no issues with mine and I do put a lot of wear on them.

SS
  • Options
    Tri, w/ speedplay and quarq PM: I've had a pair of grey/silver and red Specialized Trivent for many years. Surprisingly still holding together. 
    Road, w/ powertap/look-style and p1 pedal PM: Specialized expert road shoes, white (have to match the handlebar tape and saddle).
    MTB, w/ shimano SPD pedals (stages PM on order): I think they're bontrager or maybe giro WIDE shoes. 
    So, yes, three different pairs of shoes with three different pedal/cleat styles with three different PMs!

For any of these, I won't usually buy new ones until the old ones are on their last miles.
  • Options
    @Al Truscott
    Sorry for the dumb question, but Im going ask anyway. Just for fun I bought a pair of Sidi shot shoes (which are both beautiful and the most expensive item of clothing, aside from a suit, I have every bought) to see what they feel like. Standing/walking around there is a subtle rubbing between the lateral little toe and the shoe sidewall. Not especially uncomfortable, but then again I was walking in them for about 5 minutes, not riding for 6 hours. I think my foot might bee 2-4mm too wide for this shoe, but I am not sure. WWYD - send them back (my bean counter self says do that) or try them out and hope they stretch out? I keep reading that they are italian make, for slender feet, etc, but I assume they will stretch to some degree.

The reason for this dumb question is that I am not really sure of a better way of buying a cycling shoe - I am not aware of a cycling shoe shop that allows for testing all of the above options given by the team, so it seems like internet shopping is the best way to go?
  • Options
    I really like my Giro Empires.   The laces are replaced with lock laces, so T1 is as quick as Velcro strap / boa shoes, and they are light and fit nicely.
    @Dave Tallo are you able to 'flying mount' with your empires?  (I put that in quotes because even when I leave my shoes on the bike how I get on the bike and start pedalling would in no way be confused with a true flying mount.)   I have modified a pair a of garneau road shoes with elastic laces and while I can put them on in T1 relatively quickly and run in them to the mount line and can 'flying dismount' out of them there is no way I can get them on if they are already on my bike.
  • Options
    @Dave Tallo are you able to 'flying mount' with your empires?  (I put that in quotes because even when I leave my shoes on the bike how I get on the bike and start pedalling would in no way be confused with a true flying mount.)   I have modified a pair a of garneau road shoes with elastic laces and while I can put them on in T1 relatively quickly and run in them to the mount line and can 'flying dismount' out of them there is no way I can get them on if they are already on my bike.
    I have done a 'flying mount' the single time I have worn them in a race.     I used lock laces that let you tighten and then kinda bind them closed with a plastic thingy.   The rub: I think I was so obsessed with making these work that I spend a ludicrous amount of time practicing mounting / dismounting on the fly in a parking lot during race week.   On race day, i was well rehearsed, but for th microsecond I gained, it probably was time not tremendously well spent overall.   What I do recall was I kept all of the eyelets' laces pretty loose so there was plenty of room to slide the foot in, and to ensure the tongue didn't fold over or crease against the top of the foot.   Then, once I was rolling, I would kinda tighten by pulling the laces in the first 2-3 eyelets ... then the next 2-3 eyelets ... so you can imagine that it was an abnormal amount of micro adjusting as I rolled out in that first mile or so.  Iirc, I just mucked around while sitting in the aerobars during the flat 'admin' start in Kona.  After a few minutes, I was set. 

Ill be trying this again at Whistler (I assume they will let racers mount shoes on the bike in t1), but will instead use a system where the first four suspects are prelaced at tension with one elastic,  and will use a second elastic lace for eyelets 4-6 that will be loose to slide in the foot, but then tightened as I roll.    Oh - and the area of lacing might also have a ghetto aero cover over the entire lacing assembly.  

Becuase I haven't already made it complicated enough!