Home General Training Discussions
Options

Bad Ass Camp 2017 Re-cap

Two weeks ago I hosted my Second Annual Bad Ass Camp (full name: AspEN Al T 'Tude Bad Ass Training Camp) at my home in Snowmass, CO. This evolved out of earlier weeks from 2011-2015 where I'd conned one or more EN athletes into spending 4-7 days training with me at altitude. I started doing that in Aug, 2005, and immediately had my best IM race up to that point. While riding in the Colorado Rockies around Aspen is gorgeous and invigorating, I got lonely. Once I joined EN, and learned about value of social interaction and media surrounding our inherently solo sport, I started trying to get folks to come join me. Things grew to the point where I hosted two weeks this spring. First was a "stealth" camp with Tim Cronk/Heather Webber, and Dave Tallo. Those guys enjoyed some of the worst weather I've encountered while riding in CO. We routinely had to go 2000' lower in the valley just to escape freezing temperatures and snow. One day we just gave up entirely and went swimming, as it had snowed 8-12" over the entire valley, from 5700' all the way up to the top of the mountains. Looked pretty, but even the Canadian wouldn't go out for much more than a one hour run...

Two weeks later, and a gaggle of ENers joined me for a week of nearly prefect weather: Scott Dinhofer, Mark Maurer, Mark Stahlkopf, Mark Cardinale, Jeremy Behler, Shaughn Simmons, Danielle Santucci, Dawn Cass Filus, Dana Burns, Rich & Anna Stanbaugh, Trish Marshal, Molly Mysliwiec, Matt Limbert, Carrie Larsen; sadly, expected attendees Steph Stevens, Teri Cashmore and Attila Matyas had to bow out before the camp. 

We rode from Sunday thru Friday, with the majority of folks getting 440+ miles and close to 40,000 feet of vertical. The highlight for the most intrepid was on Tuesday, when we climbed from 7700' up Independence Pass @ 12,100', down the other side, and back again - 100 miles, over 10,000 feet of vertical, featuring a hail storm, bitter cold rain, and brisk winds on top, with balmy 75F when we came back down to town. (I only rode 7 miles, up the backside to the top, SAGging the group the rest of the time.) The next day was 112 miles from Snowmass to Marble and back, with a stop for lunch at the incredibly funky and friendly Slow Groovin' BBQ, then again for dinner at their new Snowmass outlet.

What makes this the Bad Ass Camp? After six days of riding on the gorgeous and little trafficked mountain roads surrounding Aspen (including one Lance Flyby), we entered TWO teams in the local Ragnar Trail relay. This takes about 24 hours to complete. One eight person team ran three loops each for 14.3 miles up and down the rugged mountain bike trails behind my house; and another 4 person team (Jeremy, Marks S & C, and Dani) went twice that, finishing second overall and first in their Masters category. About 1000 runners from all over the country converge on this race every year, and I doubt any others do the biking we did, ending a few hours before the running started. In honor of our sport's iconic workout, our teams were named the Bricklayers.

Next year, I hope to host a couple of weeks in spring, between the week before Memorial day and the second weekend of June. The house holds about 13 people in close quarters, and part of the camp experience is spending time with each other lounging in our party pants and going out to eat in the gastronomes' delight which is the Roaring Fork valley. Although this is an unofficial (and non-profit) EN camp, I'll follow the usual protocol and invite previous campers first, then others, trying to get 10-12 in each of two weeks.

Also, I'll be in Snowmass between about Sept 10 and 30th this year, and hope to attract another camp during that time.

Finally, thanks to all the Campers - you guys are keeping me young, and ready for more.

Comments

• Options
    Al it wayyy too modest about this camp and what he has going here. First off, the man takes huge pride in this camp and how it goes off. 

My involvement began in 2010. At my 1st IM in Arizona, I was fortunate enough to meet Al while he was recovering from a pretty bad bike accident. After the amazing time I had in AZ I signed up, a week later after general registration closed for IMAZ 2011. The next spring Al threw up the idea of a training camp in September for all comers! A group formed that made for an epic week. 

When Al tossed this idea up again last year, I joined in without hesitation. I had originally planned to do the Quassy Half on Sunday, and fly out west that night, stay for Ragnar & return on Saturday afternoon. As the calendar would have it, Friday afternoon was pre-prom events for Ally's senior prom and it was clear that something had to give. I decided to Fly out Friday night, ride Saturday - Thursday and depart on Thursday afternoon. 

Aside from training with friends who've now become the core group of repeat offenders at Al camp ('one time in al camp...") I've also become a bit of Al's assistant planner. I've been stalking Lance Armstrong on FB, not because of any reason aside from the fact that he has a home in Aspen and does a lot of rides. The Roaring Fork Valley defines everything, so there are few variables. With the help of Lance's routing, I've pushed Al to explore and come up with some fantastic alternative rides that expanded the destinations list & epicness of the event. Who does the climb up independence pass 2x in one day? THAT defines BadAssery, not to mention that we did in some combination of sun, rain, sleet, hail, cold & thunder. 

The truly great part of this camp is living, eating, riding and learning from your fellow ENers.. To experience the people you exchange with online, in-person is awesome. We have great wrenches to help you with anything your bike needs and true connoisseurs of the coffee bean to ensure that you are awake and ready to go. 

I highly recommend doing a full blown Al camp at least once in your tri career. And Al, at some point I am doing a Fall IM, location TBD, so it's fair game that I may be out there in Septemer
  • Options
    So many amazing things about this camp.   Al leads the charge...not only with his hospitality and sincere enjoyment of the camp but also because he, like most of us, trains for this camp like a race.    You simply can't just show up and ride all week without some focused training.   The threat of getting 'geezered' is real and you can debate as to whether that is better or worse than being 'chicked'.  Note....with Teri and Danielle last year and Dawn this year getting chicked is a very real possibility.   And with most of the group carrying over we have all established a great friendship and camaraderie that only adds to the fun. 

The scenery in the Roaring Fork valley is second to none.  The high altitude training and volume is a great base for your late summer races.   Finishing up what would otherwise be an epic bike week with 14-28 miles of high altitude trail running is truly badass.   I've had some dark periods in the end of an IM run before, but can honestly say none have compared to the depth I had to dig for the last 2-3 legs of the Ragnar Ultra on 2 hours of sleep after 6 straight days of biking 80 miles a day.     That experience is one I will never forget and appreciate @Mark Cardinale @Danielle Santucci and @Mark Stahlkopf for making it what it was.

• Options
    Year two was epic for me!  Vertical finishes every day vs. concussion last year!  Even though I followed the Candy Ass version of the rides, I am pleased with the miles, elevation and altitude training that I achieved!  

As Jeremy mentions, one of my favorite parts is just living the dream in a dream location with like minded friends all week long. Ride, eat, chatter about the ride, repeat! :smiley: Meeting new friends, riding with old friends and making the grade "Where the training Happens"...priceless!  

• Options
    First I just want to say Thank you to Al for providing us a rare opportunity to gather amongst friends in an incredible venue and do what we did.

For me, the best part of the week was just watching the Bad Asses get it done, ......all there were bad asses, I saw no Candy asses among the entire group.

I recommend this week to all and warn you to heed Jeremy's advice coming in with some fitness base as well as a rested body going into this week.

SS
  • Options
    I hope to return one day, after completing the inaugural edition way back in 2010 (or was that '11? Been so long, I forget!)
  • Options
    Thank you Al.  I followed a lot of the rides on Strava ... loved the pictures and stories from camp ... sure hope to join you next year
  • Options
    I love this house full of people, but I would tune in 24/7 if you had a bunch of webcams, and made it like Big Brother where one athlete gets either voted off or dropped from the Peloton every day until there is Just One.   

S/He is then Mr/Ms Altitude for the year. 

• Options
    I love this house full of people, but I would tune in 24/7 if you had a bunch of webcams, and made it like Big Brother where one athlete gets either voted off or dropped from the Peloton every day until there is Just One.   

S/He is then Mr/Ms Altitude for the year. 

this is genius. but there is only one place you get dropped, it's when you get gezered by Al!
  • Options
    Bahahahaaaa!!!! I would totally tune into that. Sounds like a great week and I would love to go some year. Can hardy slow people come?
  • Options
    Bahahahaaaa!!!! I would totally tune into that. Sounds like a great week and I would love to go some year. Can hardy slow people come?
    you are probably not as slow as you think, but there is an A group and a B group that forms, I think anyone training for 70.3 or IM is totally capable of fitting in with either group!
  • Options
    Awesome! Maybe I can fit one into my life next year.