Home General Training Discussions
Options

IM Ohio 70.3 Nutrition Plan

Ok everyone,  time to request some input.   Here is my "really rough draft" of my nutrition plan for IM Ohio 70.3.   I'm looking for feedback and suggestions for any changes.

Wake up
1/2 bagel with plain cream cheese
1 Greek Okios Triple Zero yogurt
1/2 banana
1 cup coffee (to get things "moving")

Pre-Race (while finishing up transition and getting ready and relaxing)
1 bottle of UCAN
1 sleeve Clif ShotBloks

Swim - Try not to drink the water!! 

T1 - Maybe just a sip of water from the speedfil.

Bike
Timer is set on the Garmin to go off every 15 minutes to drink some GE. (~ 1 bottle/hour. May need to increase if it is hotter outside.  )
About 5 minutes after the GE, I'll chew a couple of ShotBloks (~ 2 sleeves for the entire ride)
All long the way, I'll sip on water from my speedfil
Lick some salt along the way to help with the extra water.
Small snack ziplock with cheez-its (Comfort food if needed)

T2 - Few drinks for the remaining bottle of GE.

Run
Alternate Water and GE at the aid stations (1st = Water, 2nd = GE)
Mile 3, 6, 10 - ShotBoks (or gu's whatever they have on course)

Post-Race - 1 bottle of UCAN

Some limiters:
Smaller than normal stomach (VSG surgery) will only allow for so much liquid/food at one time.  And usually not solid and liquid together (expands too much).

That's the plan so far (pretty rough draft!!)

Comments

• Options
    edited June 28, 2017 6:25PM
    Jason - i suggest leaving out the sleeve of Cliff Blocks before the swim. You're doing UCAN and with your VSG surgery you might feel bloated with the sugar load. On the run, if you take a gel eat only half. An entire gel is a bolus of sugar that you gut may not handle well. Stay hydrated!!

• Options
    Hi Jason - I like how you've laid out the plan for a 70.3 race, it looks good.  A few comments:
    • I can't do dairy pre-race; I trust you've tested this in practice and it works for you
    • Agree with Sheila that your pre-race calories seem high; just do half the pack of Shot Blox at most
    • For the bike I'd suggest keeping a calories/hour count.  For me that's 290 at the 70.3 bike distance.  If it's super-hot you should augment with water instead of more GE, especially in the last 20 miles
    • Don't drink anything in T2; just get in and get out; nutrition is not a factor
    • Run plan looks great; just be ready to change it based on weather conditions and how you feel; at Muncie last year I took one Shot Blox per mile with water at most aid stations and that was plenty
    And as for post-race ... go for the junk food, you've earned it!
  • Options
    Thank you both!!  Great suggestions.

For the Oly, pre-race I did a bottle of GE and half of a sleeve of Shot Bloks.  That seemed to work very well.  Maybe I'll cut back and not do the UCAN and just to some GE (even if it is watered down a bit) and a half sleeve of Shot Bloks.

I have one more RR before the "Big Event".  I'll dial it in a bit better and come up with a final plan!

Thanks again!
  • Options
    I find that 15' alarm is a bit too long, mine is set to 8'.. but I guess you had tried it already.

Before the swim I also take a caffeine gel before warming up