Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Chattanooga
Options

Ironman Chattanooga Training July 3 - July 10

GUESS WHAT?! 

You are NOW officially in Ironman Training!

At 12 weeks out from CHOO, Coach Patrick has now crowned and officiated you into IM world. The great thing about Endurance Nation Ironman training is, you don't have to kiss your family friends and coworkers goodbye for the next 12 weeks. With effective training for the "everyday athlete" you should still have time for a life outside of compression socks and power meters!

Make sure to watch the videos, podcasts and blogs that are attached to each week of training on the website. They are located on the right side of the your training page.  CHECK THEM OUT! Maybe listen to them as you stretch, roll or recover or as you fuel up for a workout.  

Thanks for checking in and introducing yourself!! So now lets hear it, make some noise.... Any questions for the team?

Like my picture reminder says.... MAKE SURE TO REST! As the 5th discipline in IRONMAN training, it often gets overlooked. Remember to rest. Your body (and your family) will thank you!

Peace, Love and Sweat!

- Your trusty Race Captain

Don’t forget to post on your workouts and keep us in the loop! If you have a pic or video to post remember to use #EN4Keys! Let’s seem some SWEAT! HERE WE GO!!

Comments

• Options
    Taper week for me... going to race 70.3 Muskoka this weekend! How is your week going? 
  • Options
    Looking forward to a good training week.  Training has been good so far.  Just need to keep on enjoying the journey.
  • Options
    Hi all. I switched this week from Get Faster to the IM plan for IMCHOO. Built some good run volume in the past month, I usually average 18m/ week but now got up to 25-30 miles a week and seeing improvements in my pace and HR. Run durability is a key driver for me this season, let's see.

• Options
    edited July 5, 2017 10:53PM
    I got a DNF in 2014 at this Ironman as I missed making the last run cut off by 10' (that I was ignorant of); I was undertrained and just didn't get to it in time.  In that year, there was a cutoff at about mile 20ish.. if I recall.   My car was parked back at the finish so I got the whole marathon in as I ran/walked my way back in!  that is the backstory of why I emailed the RD for clarification..I thought I would share the time cut off information here:  The time cut offs I will have memorized :* this time!

"Michelle Haustein (My Race Questions)

Jul 5, 3:59 PM EDT 

Marianne,

Thank you for your email.  I am more than happy to assist you in understanding the time cuts for the 2017 Little Debbie IRONMAN Chattanooga, presented by McKee A Family Bakery.  Please note, the cut-off times listed below are for the 2016 race.  Although we do not expect a change in the cut-off times, they are not official until the Athlete Guide is posted.  The Athlete Guide should be posted 4-6 weeks from the event.

Swim - each athlete has 2 hours and 20 minutes to complete the swim from THEIR start time.  This means, if you start at 7:30, you have until 9:50 to complete the swim.  If the last swimmer enters the water at 8:00, you do NOT have until 10:20 am.  The amount of time for the swim is 2 hours 20 minutes for each swimmer. The swim course will close 2 hour and 20 minutes after the last swimmer.  Please do not use the last swimmer as your guide line (unless you are the last swimmer). It is possible for you to take longer than 2 hours and 20 minutes and still be allowed on the bike course.  This occurs if you start in the middle of the pack and the last swimmer has reached the 2 hour 20 minute time line.  If you do the swim in more than 2 hours and 20 minutes and are allowed onto the bike course, and eventually finish the event; you will show as a DNF and no time will be recorded.   Please let me know if this does not make sense.

Bike - The bike course has three time lines (per 2016) that you need to be aware of.  1st - there will be a bike cut off at the beginning of the 2nd loop at 2:20 pm.  The approximate mileage of this cut-off is mile 58, near Aid Station 5.   The bike course closes at 6:00 pm.  Which means you must be in Transition 2 by this time.  The last cut-off is out of transition by 6:15 pm.  You will not be allowed to start the run course after 6:15 pm.  Please train for 116 miles.  This bike course is long by 4 miles.

Run - course will close 16 hours and 15 minutes after the last age group athlete starts the swim. Each athlete, regardless of what time they enter the water, will only have 16 hours and 15 minutes to complete the entire course (swim, bike and run). Any athlete that finishes the race before the final run course cut-off but has a finishing time greater than 16 hours and 15 minutes will be considered a DNF and will not be eligible for age group awards or for IRONMAN World Championship slots or rolldown slots. There is also an intermediate cut-off at approximately 9:15pm at the start of the second run loop (approximately mile 13).

The official course will close 16 hours 15 minutes after the last swimmer hits the water.  We won't have the official finish line time until race day.  But, we expect the final athlete will be crossing the line around midnight if we can get all the athletes in the water by 7:45 am.  You just need to be aware of when YOU start the swim as this will start your 16 hours and 15 minute count-down.  

Pleae let me knw if you have any further qiestions.

Best Wishes,

Michelle G. Haustein
    Coordinator, Athlete Services
    World Triathlon Corporation | 3407 Dr. Martin Luther King Blvd., Suite 100 | Tampa, FL 33607|
    Phone: 727.430.6405
    www.ironman.com"

• Options
    edited July 6, 2017 1:14AM
    Hey gang, I'm switching to the EN Full plan next week. Hit a little hiccup after yesterday's run, little tightness behind the knee. No run today, trying to be smart and not push anything. We've still got a lot of work to do. Keep it on two wheels my friends. 
  • Options
    Why do I sign up for races that make me train in July and August, in the south!?!?!  Was just as much of a sweaty mess after this mornings 5 AM run as I was after Tuesdays 6 PM run.  At least it will only be 90 with a dew point of 72 for tonights second half of the split run.  And all my pools are like 86 degrees!  I'd rather run in 100+ than swim in that nonsense. 
  • Options
    Remember to hydrate today (for tomorrow)..I love this little MEME as it makes me laugh!  
  • Options
    Looking forward to a good training week.  Training has been good so far.  Just need to keep on enjoying the journey.
    Glad training is going well! Its all about the journey and having fun! Keep up the good work! 
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2017 7:56PM
    @Julian wow, that's working the run and building a solid base. This year Coach Patrick helped me build my run for a May Marathons. Definitely understand how it helped with pacing, now to maintain until IMChoo.
    @Josh, way to listen to your body. Yes, we have a way to go. Although, I feel like it is approaching fast. 
    @Brian, sounds like you have the perfect conditions to practice for your win to Kona! LOL!!!  Wow, that is hot.

• Options
    edited July 7, 2017 8:12PM
    Marianne,
    missing the cut off is so disappointing. That's the spirit to have,  go for it again! 
    Been there done that as well! 
  • Options
    Marianne,
    I've had 3 DNF's over the years. One for each of the practices. One was not in my control. We just keep moving forward. I always worry about time limits.
      For me I've now got back to some running after an injury.  No swimming as of yet. Each of my bike rides the last 2 months have been between 40-60 miles.