Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Chattanooga
Options

IMCHOO July 11 - July 17

Focus: The Split Run

Greeting CHOOCREW athletes! I LOVED seeing your posts last week about your killer workouts…you all are RAMPING UP!!! Buring a hole in Strava and posting some on social media.  Now that we have a laser focus on IM Choo, lets keep that up! It’s FANTASTIC! Remember……  #EN4Keys

This year the coaches made big changes to the OutSeason training plans, adding a significant "run durability" component by adding running frequency. So now as you head into the IM Full plan you will notice the following…….

• Split Long Run: in weeks 9 through 12, the long run is split into two Thursday sessions. The coaches experimented with this in 2015 and found they were able to run both runs a faster average pace and put up higher single day mileage, with less recovery cost vs a traditional one-session long run. Then then enables...

• Additional Friday Run: the ability to put in a run the day after the long run allows us to significantly boost the run volume, and therefore the run durability component, of the long course training plans.

• Saturday Pre-Ride Brick Run: this run, added to the plans years ago, remains a running staple.

• Sunday Post-Ride Brick Run: an extremely valuable session for helping our athletes dial in the critical first 4-6 miles of their running race execution strategy

So this week- let’s focus on that split long run and report back on how we do!  

Remember…..your race day run should be:

• Consistent

• Smart

• Effective

• Sustained Pace

PACING:

No one run will make or break your race but how you look at pacing will.  

Focus on sustainable pace.

RECOVERY:

Set yourself up like a rock star---

• Eat and Hydrate during your workout

• Recovery Shake immediately after

• Compression socks or resting in the first half hour window after.  Aim for at least one minute elevated resting legs per mile. i.e. 10 mile run, 10 minutes legs elevated, compression socks and resting.

Recovery sets you up for the weekend volume rides

****** You all are rocking the forum, keep it up. I’ve already heard from multiple people how much the feedback and daily training discussions are helping. You're building friendships that you will LOVE to have out there on race day. The more you know each other the more you might be able to help, and this is the beauty of EN. We are all one big endurance racing family! If you need ANYTHING from your trusty Race Captain…...I'm here! ******

Admin check in:   Make sure you are following all social media for EN and Facebook

Comments

• Options
    Remember foam rolling and stretching as the volumes increase. I felt super flat on my run today, first time this has happened this year actually. Planning on a couple extra stretching and rolling sessions for the weeks to come. It always helps me.

My training schedule is alittle crazy during the week, with my long run on Mondays, ill check back in before the weekend fun begins. 
  • Options
    Enjoy your journey!!  m
  • Options
    Last nights run was brutal.  High humidity, temps in low 80's.  Got the 3x1 done.  Last interval was a little slower then I would have like but there was certainly work getting done and that is what counts.  Weeks looks like it will go off without much interruption.  
    Not a big fan of the split run.  I am a runner and enjoy the long run.  I understand the logic of the split, I just like to do it as one big fat long run.  It is my escape hatch.  Settle in and tune out.
    I hope everyone is staying strong and enjoying the journey.

Any thoughts on a DIY camp now that there is no official Chattanooga training camp?
  • Options
    @Josh Church
    VERY TRUE! Maybe even some hot yoga would help also, keeping that mental muscle stretched too! 
  • Options
    @William Bejin
    When would you want the DIY camp to be? Wonder how many would be interested. 
  • Options
    Thanks Mariah!
    Sunday was my 70.3 Muskoka. Had a fun day racing. My goals
    Swim :40 
    Bike: 3 hours
    Run: 2:30
    Actually did ok considering the hills were more than I expected.
    Swim:48
    Bike:3:55
    Run: 3:00

Monday was a travel day and Tuesday I was back at work. Wednesday rolls around anx I'm exhausted after work. No workout for this gal. 
    Thursday should be back on track. 
    Hiw is everyone doing this week? 

• Options
    • Congrats @Yvette Metz recovery is important. Easy back into running slowly this weekend, at least that's what coach P suggested to me after Raleigh. 

• Im not doing a "full" camp but I am going down one Friday then ride the full course Saturday before heading home after lunch. Probably August 5 or 12 I can't commit to a date yet.
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2017 4:11PM
    Thanks Josh I will.
    Fyi...everyone . Just found out I have 2 rooms booked at residences inn. Does anyone need a room? 2 blocks from start line. 

Residence Inn Chattanooga Downtown
               215 Chestnut Street
               Chattanooga, TN, 37402

Room Type: Studio, Queen & Sofa Bed
    Check-In: 20-Sep-2017
    Check-Out: 25-Sep-2017

Number Of Nights: 5
    Rate per Night:
    2017-09-20 - $309.00
    2017-09-21 - $309.00
    2017-09-22 - $309.00
    2017-09-23 - $309.00
    2017-09-24 - $309.00

Room Subtotal: $1,545.00
    Self Parking ($8.00 Per Night): $40.00
    17.25% Taxes: $273.41
    Total Amount Due: $1,858.41

• Options
    edited July 15, 2017 8:57PM
    Just checking in...
      Hope training has went well this week. We are about to wrap up another week of training and inching closer to Race Rehearsal #1. 
    Along those lines I have plans to head to Chattanooga and do a "mini camp" that looks like this: August 10-12

Thursday 10th: Arrive at Crash Pad

Friday 11th: Bike 112, Run 6

Saturday 12th: Bike 112, Run 30min *I am leaving after the ride and run

My wife will be joining me because she is so awesome. And she will have a refueling station set up for the first loop on each day. The Crash Pad is an awesome hostel we have stayed there like 6 times and it is a great spot to start the IM course ride.

That being said anyone that wants to join us is welcome. Get in touch with the crash pad and get a bunk for $35 or stay anywhere else and meet us in the mornings. 

Let me know if your interested.

• Options
    @Mariah Bridges
    @William Bejin
    Dont know if you have a better location for people to see my above post but you are welcome to share. Or tell me where to post about the weekend training in Chattanooga 
  • Options
    ^^ Josh: I have read the above...I am a teacher and haven't heard if we are having a staff retreat that weekend (that you are going)... my first day back is August 8 and students arrive Aug 22nd..I am also about 11 hour drive away.  The original camp weekend (weekend before) and the rest of July is better for me.  Yvette: I don't need that room and right now I am staying at the Chattanooga Choo Choo (historic train station) which also looks to be close to race site.  m
  • Options
    @Josh Church thank you for the invite, have a great rehearsal.  I'm racing Steelhead that weekend. 
    @ironmarianne thanks! 
  • Options
    I can't make the 8/10 weekend, we have a family weekend planned in Northern Mich.  I was looking at Aug. 18th weekend.  I think that is were it falls on the training plan - not that it really matters.

I will look at the calendar and discuss weekends with my wife and get her thoughts.