Home General Training Discussions
Options

VO2 max testing

I asked the same question to Coach P, but curious if the team has any input: 

I did a VO2 max test at my wife's office just for fun, which was interesting. VO2 max was 55, anaerobic threshold happens at HR 130 at which pace I burn ~800-900 cal/hour apparently. Have you any experience with this type of data? Obviously, running while eating that much poses a GI challenge that is probably impossible, but I am wondering if it is worth testing eating that much on the bike (or the first half of the bike)? In years past I have tried to get 400-500cal/hour in on a standard IM bike leg.

Comments

• Options
    Was that for the run or the bike?  I think these numbers will be different.  And No you can not get that many calories in while running.
  • Options
    My question is....just because you can burn that much....does it mean you should take that much in? I think we need much less fuel than we think.  The blood in the stomach while exercising is going to the muscles in the body, and can not help with digestion.  I would be concerned about developing stomach issues and why change something if is working. If taking in 400 calories an hour works for you why change it?
  • Options
    Was that for the run or the bike?  I think these numbers will be different.  And No you can not get that many calories in while running.
    bike only. 

@Brenda Ross  Ive never tried going past 400-500cal/hour on the bike, so not sure if more input would work better. I agree with you, I doubt I could do it anyway, but might explain why I tend to feel hungry on most long bikes (?)
  • Options
    I cannot even get past 300cals/hour AT MOST! I'm better at about 150-200cals on the bike and way less on the bike.