Home General Training Discussions
Options

Mismatched Zipp 808 & wheel cover?

So, I need a new front carbon wheel. Have a new zipp 404 w powertap on the back that I use all the time for training because of the power meter. I use a wheel cover on it for racing. I could just get a matching front 404, but is a front 808 worth it?  A front 808 w a rear covered wheel would seem to be a good racing set up, although it will likely look ridiculous all other times.  

Comments

• Options
    I think you'd be fine in "racing" mode with the cover.  I would be concerned about handling issues with an 808 up front and a 404 on the back when you are in "training" mode.  Of course the simple answer to that would be to run a standard aluminum rim up front when you are riding without the cover.
  • Options
    I agree.  An 808/disc cover is the perfect combination for "most" Ironman (or shorter) triathlons.  I'd just train on whatever aluminum front wheel you already have with the PT 404 in the rear...

You will look a lot Fred with a 404 on the rear and an 808 on the front if you plan on doing that for the 95% of your rides you're on while not actually racing...  What do you care more about, looking cool while training or being faster while racing?
  • Options
    Thanks guys. That makes sense.  I don't  currently have an aluminum training wheel for the TT bike. I have an old, damaged front zipp 404.  But I'd like to have an 808 - if worth it- and can use a wheel cover for racing.  Otherwise, I'll just re-order another zipp 404. Now that I'm thinking about it, I could use my aluminum wheel from my road bike.  The bottom line question is whether the 808 is that much better than the 404... 
  • Options
    I'd vote 808 / disc cover for racing and aluminum wheel from your road bike / 404 for training.  Again, I think the issue with 808/404 would be handling in wind.  If you have good bike handling skills then maybe NBD, but deep front and shallow rear can make for interesting handling in wind.
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2017 6:51PM
    Thanks guys. That makes sense.  I don't  currently have an aluminum training wheel for the TT bike. I have an old, damaged front zipp 404.  But I'd like to have an 808 - if worth it- and can use a wheel cover for racing.  Otherwise, I'll just re-order another zipp 404. Now that I'm thinking about it, I could use my aluminum wheel from my road bike.  The bottom line question is whether the 808 is that much better than the 404... 
    I have changed my mind...  A FC808 is likely to be on the order of ~1-2 mins faster on your bike split compared to a FC404 depending on wind speed and yaw angles, etc.  When I was chasing my Kona quest I was willing to spend big $$ on a minute here and a minute there, figuring if I added up 10 different things that could potentially save me a minute or 2 over the course of the day that maybe the 10 total minutes would be the difference in getting the slot and not getting it (note, I got it by less than 8 mins).

So add up all of the following: Rear disk, FC808 front, latex tubes, race tires, aero skewers and aero hub centers (facing the proper direction), aero helmet, aero kit, ceramic speed (unicorn tears) chain, perfectly clean drivetrain, remove down tube bottle and cage, strategic placement of spare CO2 and tube (only carrying 1 spare), staying aero the entire day (low and narrow, even hand placement in the aerobars), leaving my shoes on my bike at dismount, optimize Transitions (including running at all times), not stopping at special needs, drafting on the swim, legal draft/slingshot passes on the bike, go bag on the run, peeing on the bike, peeing while running, etc, etc, etc...   

Some of those cost $$, some are free...   If you are a MOP'er, or even middle of the front of the pack, the difference between a front FC404 and FC808 is almost negligible.  And unless you are dedicated to taking every possible second off of your race time by any (legal) means necessary, then just get the FC404.  You'll have a super cool set of wheels that you can ride on every day and not look like a Fred, and also be way faster during a race than a normal set of aluminum training wheels...

FWIW, some people do much/all of their training with their fancy carbon race wheels on their bikes and I have no issues with anyone who does that...   I have fancy carbon race wheels but still choose to use my aluminum wheels for training, especially the front if your PT is in your rear 404 (you'll leave that on out of necessity).  My carbon wheels are $$ and I train a lot, so am less freaked out if I crash or hit a giant pothole.  My training wheels are heavier and not aero (harder training = faster racing)...   I also specifically train with carrying a lot of fluids (weight) and nutrition that I won't need on race day, and no aero stuff, because I like to "feel" faster when it comes to raceday and I put my fancy "dress clothes" on for the big dance...