Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Edrika's IMLP RACE PLAN - first timer!!!!!

This will be my first Ironman!  :):o:D

So, I’m placing my trust in the training AND my patience to successfully EXECUTE the 4 Keys!  I’d be lying if I said I’m not nervous.  I’ve was extremely anxious last week every time it hit me that there were only a few days left.  However, as I packed this weekend and watched YouTube videos of previous IMLP’s, did some mental visualization, and thought of all the training I’ve done…… I woke up this morning with a peace I hadn’t had all week.  I’m glad.  So, my main goal is to EXECUTE the 4 Keys and I believe that’s the key to my success.  I have the fitness and am dialing in (or hyping up) my MENTAL TOUGHNESS!

Wednesday, July 19th

Travel Day:  Hit the road around noon as there are things I’ve got to take care of prior to leaving.

2000 hours:  Arrive in LP.  Unload

If an earlier departure/arrival is possible, Short run.

Thursday, July 20th

0900:  Big Breakfast

1000: Registration / Athletes Brief / Recon of Transition

Inspect bike: Check spare tube kit/stash, tools, etc.; Charge Garmin(s); shut off auto-pause

1100:  Swim to get a feel for which wetsuit I’d like to wear (sleeved or sleeveless)

Noon:  Healthy lunch, short preview of the bike course; ride Keene Descent?

1800: EN Team Dinner

Friday, July 21st

0700 am – OWS (what time is the team swim?)

1000 am – MMRF Team for Cures Course Preview; test of bike or 4Keys Talk (deciding)

Noon – 3 mile run

1400:  Pack Special Needs/Clothes Bags

-Bike Bag:  Helmet, shoes, race belt (w/salt tabs & BCAA pills), small water bottle,

sunglasses, small pack of body-glide, small towel, bike gloves (arm warmer on tri-bars)

-Run Bag:  Gatorade, socks, compression sleeve, hat, small towel, small water

Bottle, bag with extra nutrition

1800 pm – Dinner and then bed

Saturday, July 22nd  

0900: BIG BREAKFAST!!

10:00 am – Rack bike at T1 and drop off gear bags  
Rest of day: HYDRATE!  

1500:  MMRF Team for Cures Reception (maybe just a quick meet & greet; photo)
1900 pm: Lights out. 

Race Day!
Pre-race:  Wake up: 3:00 am.

--0315:  Coffee and Breakfast:  Oatmeal & chicken apple sausage, Tri-tats on, get dressed

--Depart hotel by 4:00 am and walk to Lake Placid (20 minute walk)

--0430:  Arrive at transition, top off tires, fill bento box with nutrition, turn on Garmin, place arm warmers on tri-bars (rolled down), check out bags

--0515:  fast walk (nice warm-up) back to room to drop off gear/air pump, continue to hydrate; bathroom

--0535:  1.5 mile warm up run from room; banana afterwards w/GQ6;

--0550:  Drop of clothes bag, change into wetsuit

--0615:  Practice swim; GU gel with water upon exiting (06

Race:

Swim:  Goal 1:36
-Nutrition: Banana after warm-up, GU at 6:30 am
-Line up with group 1:15-1:20 pace group, which represents a 1:50/100yd pace.  Based on OWS pace of 1:57/100yd. 

My mission on the swim is to 1) Not get rattled during the start and/or go out too hard, 2) To just keep swimming regardless of being kicked in the head, goggles knocked off (readjust on the fly) or whatever--
à just keep swimming! 3) Focus on my stroke when I feel myself tiring (specifically the catch/pull), maintaining high elbows and pulling past the hip.  It’s critical for me to slow down & exhale controllably to catch my breath vs stopping. I plan to swim harder (yet smooth & controlled) as I see myself nearing the swim finish.  My weakest event is swimming, so I am focused on consistency and plan to finish in 1:34, but will be happy with a time under 1:45; based on previous OWS & race rehearsals.      

-Exit water, Goggles on head/cap, unzip wetsuit; try to remove top while jogging to the nearest (and strongest looking) wetsuit stripper.
 Jog to T1.

T1   

-Yell out bib number to volunteer who will hopefully grab my bag for me; jog to tent
-Quickly, but under control - Put on helmet, bike shoes, sunglasses, compression sleeve, and bib belt. 

-Grab extra food for kit pockets.

-Sun screen and bike from volunteer.  Run bike to T1 exit.  Carefully mount bike cautiously riding out of town.  Settle in, monitor heart rate, and start eating/hydrating.

Bike:  Goal 7:30        
Target average speed of 15 mph, which includes the descents (I don’t have power and have been utilizing speed as a gauge).  

Come out of T1 pedaling safely until out of town, and be disciplined with speed/cadence until the Keene descent.  My goal is to soft-pedal/small ring all ascents when & where possible while also taking advantage of the terrain (down-hills); stay aero when possible. Try to preserve energy on the first loop.  Confidently ride the Keene descent, but be in control, sit up when possible to reduce speed, tap the brakes when necessary.  

Nutrition:

-Drink GQ6 every 15 minutes and/or when thirsty.

-2 shot blocks on the hour for the first loop

-1/3 Banana (since they won’t be on the run course and I trained with bananas for cramping; plan for every 20 miles beginning at mile 10 grabbing an extra for the run)

-Fig Bar every 30 minutes; Non-caffeinated gels at miles 25, 50; caffeinated gel at 75, 110

-Salt Tab

My Garmin is set for a nutritional alert every 15-minutes.
My main goal is to finish @7:30 or @15 mph. I’d like to maintain a consistent average speed, but will adjust as needed (perceived effort).  I don’t have a power meter and have used speed as a guide.  Thus, my Garmin screen displays the following: Distance, Time, Heart Rate, and Cadence.  My predicted time is based on the average on rides in the Shenandoah Mountains and my Race Rehearsals.   My worst case scenario is that the climbing is more than I anticipated and I average 14 mph.  Either way, this being my first, what’s ringing in my head is to NOT go to hard!!! 

A EN team mate relayed that the climbs back into town start around Mile 35, so, knowing that I’ll pay attention to my cadence on this (and all portions) to prepare for the second loop.  I’ll take advantage of the fast & flat miles and be prepared for the climbs (to start again right after 90, which will be much harder the second time around).  My main goal is to preserve my legs for the run, but not to be extremely slow with my ‘will do’ pace.

When approaching T2 I’ll look for a volunteer to help me rack my bike and hopefully grab my bag. Jog to the changing tent, put on hat/sunglasses.  Take off bike shoes, dry feet if wet, put on socks (checking for blisters), and running shoes.  Rinse feet with water and dry with towel.  Apply sunscreen and extra chamois cream.  Grab Ziploc go bag and head out (grab something to drink).  What’s this ‘race saver bag’ you all keep speaking of?   

Run: Goal 4:35        
-Immediately check HR & pace.  Settle into and slow it down!!!

-Beginning with first aid station, grab nutrition (Gatorade & shot blocks) from last person, walk enough to drink & eat, then resume running.  Minimal time stops through mile 6.   **I see you guys speaking on this and decided I’ll go with it (even though my body will most likely still want to run those first 6 miles).

-Miles 6-18 I’ll drink Gatorade & at every station and eat a gel every four miles.   

-At the line/mile 18 (pull out my card to remind myself how #badass I am and WHY I’m doing this); keep running --à forward is a pace.

- My goal is to run strong.  I noticed when I get tired I begin to slouch so I’ll tell myself, ‘Make yourself tall’.  That means elbows in, thumbs up (like I’m holding a chip in each hand between my thumb and index finger), straight spine, core tight, and a small/short cadence.  When I do this the run seems a bit easier.

-Focus on the road in front of me. Keep moving.  Win the day! 

My expected pace is a 10:40 mile, which would be a 4:45 marathon.  In order to maintain a consistent pace (to include the walks) is to be consistent in my walking strategy (time wise).  Also, if I’ve controlled my bike pace I’ll have the energy I need for the run.  LASTLY, I’m prepared to tackle the MENTAL dark place I’ll hit on the run.  I’ll get there faster if I just keep moving!!!  During race rehearsal I had some valuable lessons on the importance of nutrition so I’ll make sure I eat/drink to give me the energy I need.

Overall time:  13:45

Given that this is my first Ironman my main goal is to EXECUTE correctly to honor my training self!!!  I’ve put in hella work to get here.  I didn’t come this far to NOT finish.  So, I’ve got to be smart about it.  I have limited triathlon experience.  I completed IMChoo 70.3 in May and learned lessons there, but this is a totally different beast!  My friend (an Ironman) chose these races for me.  Little did I know that IMLP is one of the hardest!  In the end, this has been an AWESOME JOURNEY!!! 

I look forward to your input.

Comments

• Options
    Not trying to pull you away from MMRF stuff but the 4Keys talk is very important stuff and is helpful to all especially a first timer.  Secondly, a reception the night before IM is a bad idea.  Most of us plan for in bed by 8:30 or 9.  Lastly, do you have any heart rate data that can help guide your pacing?  The ups and downs of this course make speed a very bad guidance tool.  Perceived effort is ok if you don't have the HR data.  Good luck and I look forward to meeting you up at Placid.
  • Options
    Thanks for your input Robert!  I'm still going back & forth about the 4Keys.  I've listened to the DVD a few times and have also listened to an IMLP specific 4keys talk.  I guess I'll decided as I drive up.  And yeah....... I agree on the reception as well.  I'd like to pay my respects to the team so I'll probably show up, hang for a minute and head home.  I feel you on that. 

As for HR data, I have been monitoring that as well during my training and will also pay attention there too.  I look forward to meeting you!
  • Options
    X2 Robs comments... The beauty of the onsite 4 keys is "course specific" this will cover any changes that may have been implemented since the video you saw and could also cover "day specificity in regards to weather/winds etc" ... No matter how many I go to I always seem to come away with at least one nugget of info I did not know or consider....
  • Options
    X3 @Robert Sabo's comments
    I get the MMRF thing, I ran with Eric during the 200 last year. That said, this is about your race, your big day that you;ve worked hard for. NO ONE knows the LP course the patrick does, the 4 keys of LP is invaluable insight and is specific to this course and the anticipated weather. I guarantee you that after the race You'll clean up, meet us at the brewery and tell us 5 things that happend during your race that you were able to deal with from the 4 keys presentation... 

(did we twist your arm enough?) 
    the MMRF people will energize you plenty before the big day... 
  • Options
    Have fun during your first IM! You have obviously trained enough if you followed the workouts.  I noticed that you are planning on lining up in the swim with a group that is about 20 minutes faster than your planned swim. In my limited experience I have found that when I'm lined up in the group with my anticipated time that the swim is much smoother for me. If you line up with a faster group, I think you are just inviting people to swim over you which at least in my experience slows you down and adds anxiety. No need to add anxiety during your swim.

For the race saver bag you can buy one from the team or just use a quart ziploc bag. At each aid station fill it with ice and then use it to cool you down during the next mile. You can also pour the cold water on you when the ice melts or rat or drink the ice or water. I found it to be Very helpful.

During the run eat when you feel good. You may not want much later during the run. Taking a few steps to drink at each aid station won't slow you down much so take advantage.  You may actually decide to walk less later during the run. 

I really like your comment about keep moving. You know that you can keep running so don't give into walking. You will see tons of people walking (that might have passed you earlier). Running by them feels great!  Like you said you'll get there sooner by just keeping on moving. 

You've got a great atmosphere for a race so just soak it in and enjoy.