S

Your Strava Account URL 
Your Training Peaks Username and Password 
Example: tritrent
Your Garmin Connect Username & Password 
tt.prough@yahoo.com
Your Facebook Profile URL *
tt.prough@yahoo.com
Any other data or details we could need. This could be your Instagram profile, Twitter, etc.

Age Group, Height and Weight. 
45-49, 5'5", 140#
140.6 Best Time in Last Five Years 
10:15:xx IMLou
70.3 Best Time in Last Five Years 
4:38:xx. IMmuncie70.3 
Oly Best Time in Last Five Years 
26.2 Best Time in Last Five Years 
3:08:xx Tucson 2016
13.1 Best Time in Last Five Years 
1:21:55 Fort 4 fitness 2013
Your Strongest Discipline *
Bike
Your Weakest Discipline *
Swim
Your Weakest Discipline: Tell Us More... *
Just started when tried triathlon in 2006
Your Injury / Difficulty History *
Shin splints and IT band in past. This year recovery from hernia surgery. Has limited me to no VO2 work (hurts if do). But FT work has been fine
Top Three Lessons Learned in your triathlon career. *
Go with what the day gives you on feel
Your Top Three Races / Events this Season (with dates):
Example: IM Lake Placid July 23rd, 2017

Comments

• Most Up-To-Date Notes & Info from Trent

As you know hernia surgery in February. 2 weeks nothing then 2 weeks very easy stuff getting back to bike and run and no swim. Vacation in Hawaii March 17 to April 2 with a few workouts getting back into things and testing my hernia out by the end of vacation with a couple bike rides I pushed it. Started a workout routine of somewhat then a week later to BRC. Camp really boosted my fitness to somewhat back to a starting point and had a few decent weeks of workouts going and then re injured hernia at work big time !!! This was middle to end of May and another 2 weeks of nothing prescribed to see how heal. Went on Inside Tracker (Mariah nazi) diet to help heal up and loose the 10 pounds gaining from no exercise and too much drinking. Healing has went well and as you have seen some good rides on zwift and worked up in 4 weeks to a century ride for long ride and this weekend will be a 16 miler on the long run.

I’ve been going with a routine like this:

Monday— Swim/speed, run whatever feel like 30min. to 45 min. and easy strength

Tuesday — FTP bike (Zwift races) brick run 30 to 45min.

Wednesday — Run — Intervals at TP 45 to 60 min.

Thursday — Bike (VO2 or feel) with run brick 

Friday — 30 to 60 min. run , long swim maybe strength if feel

Saturday — Long bike 4hr. to 5 hrs. brick short if feel

Sunday — long run

My ramp up to long stuff quickly put me in a pretty deep hole this week at -60+ TSB and I felt it. Laid off run on thurseday and instead of VO2 on bike just did Z3 with no brick and easy run today. Feeling much better.

So in weeks leading up to IMMT I have some weird training weeks coming and would need/like guidance. The last 2 weekends I’ve gotten in 100 mile rides but tomorrow I’ll only get in probably 4 hrs waking up at 3:30am to get in then on Sunday do 16 mile run or so, but next week I travel Thurseday to Sunday out of town and will likely only get to run those days. When back though on Monday the 3rd and Tuesday the 4th of July I was thinking doing a race rehearsal since I’ll have days off work then the following weekend 8th and 9th only have time for 2 to 3 hrs workouts on that weekend too. The remaining weeks and weekends should allow for my 1 long bike on saturday and 1 long run on sunday. Don’t really want to run long during the week with my work schedule so like to keep weeks to that. 

Just would like some guidance in these workouts and what to do and not put myself in too deep a hole yet still build up to come the show a have a respectable race. I really feel with how I’m feeling now I won’t just do the race and finish but go out and see what I can do with whatever I show up with.

• Hey Coach P I totally missed seeing to get a call scheduled with you sometime.  Let me know when is good for you.  Not too much to discuss but looking at what you've laid out in TP so far I think all looks doable other than on Sunday with doing another long bike a 6 mile run I will probably not have the time to get all that in on most of the 3 remaining weekends.  I can do the Saturday ride/run then Sunday maybe 3 hour ride and 1 hour run or something.

I've also noticed in the Zwift races if I go too much in the VO2 side it begins hurting where I tore the hernia mesh so I'll keep an eye on that and hafta watch going too much above FTP number too long.

Other than that the diet has went well although cheated this weekend a lot but am below race weight of last year still.  :)
  • @Trent Prough

https://calendly.com/pmccrann/30min that's the link, you pick it brother. 

Sunday's hit the ABP ride...best bang for your buck. I am okay with that. For the races, it's not worth it...I say you CAP YOUR POWER for the remaining races until IMMT. It will be a mental game...how fast can you go on that that limitation. I think once you are through IMMT and the recovery, your hernia will be much better. No need to stress it that much right now with a race looming!

How is your long bike / run nutrition going!?
  • I've experimented with the long bike... .70 vs. .75 vs. .80  Didn't notice any difference in feeling from .70 to .75 in the 5 hour rides, but in the .80 ride lost a bottle and didn't replace when back home to pick up nutrition and by the end only having 4 bottles and 1 cliff bar for the ride left me in a huge hole that made the brick run a sufferfest... lesson learned.  I do think I feel better riding on less liquid and a little more solid to get the calories though.  Anytime i try to drink more than a bottle an hour I feel too full and like I can't push. Only concern is if I wear the race kit I think there are no pockets so have to figure out how to get the bars/gels on the bike and easy access.
  • @Trent Prough - Great to talk with you today. As I mentioned in closing, I'm very excited as to where your fitnesses right now for the bike in the run, as well as your total health. Let's keep that in mind with everything you do between now and race day. No workout should jeopardize that total health!

Bike Nutrition: I want you to be ready to do 5 1/2 bottles on race day, so let's practice this weekend with the very very light breakfast plan.

Run Nutrition: this is also important, and you should be comfortable drinking about 4 ounces of GE every mile. So the remainder of your runs should be run a mile then drink 4 ounces than one another mile etc. almost mimicking race day. If you have a fuel belt, great. Otherwise improvised.

I edited your training peaks plan to make sure that you have more swimming in weeks of July 31 and August 7. I'm sure will be a pain in the butt, but getting the swims and will make sure that you are, at the very least, prepared for the work of race this morning. We need to get you over that our threshold of swimming so you're comfortable with it.

I also made Mondays a rest day for you. Looking back over your log, I can see that you don't train much on Mondays because of work. So I am not going to force it. 

My race report from IMMT: http://bit.ly/2uBmiPn 

Resource page, including the webinar: http://bit.ly/2uBCj7M

Keep me posted!!!

~ Coach P

• Well my final RR with the 5 1/2 bottles of GE, 2 bars, and 2 gels followed with the run having 4oz. every mile felt fine and actually spot on to feeling really pretty good.  So glad to have the nutrition plan nailed down as this is something I never focused on and went by feel which I believe left me nothing in the tank on the last half of the run on all other IM's.  I've been careful at work to not lift too much and the hernia area feels the best since surgery so I'd say at 90% of actual potential which I would've dreamed of having only a couple months ago.  Thanks for the help and suggestions and if you think of anything I might be missing of thinking of let me know .
  • @Trent Prough Been great to follow your progress through the past few weeks. This could be the final tweak that puts you in the position to be successful. A few more thoughts for you...

1. Should be cool up there, so you won't think of drinking early, but you need to.

2. If you like the coffee, you might want to work in caffeine in those gels / 2nd half of the bike to keep you "sharp"

3. You can't space out food on the run like you do at home. You have 6 miles at your bike Avg Heart Rate, then real running. During those first 6 to 10 miles are your best bet for eating -- feel good = eat. So while I eat a gel every 4 miles at home (30 mins) I will eat a banana in T2, then a gel at mile 2, 4 and 6 as long as I can stand it (while HR is low). This is because I know when I get to mile 10 or 14 or 18 I can't really eat very much. I can have a Clif Blok  every 2 miles, but otherwise it's GE / Coke. 

4. You haven't mentioned carrying external salt, but you should. I have a few canisters...one on bike, one in BSN in case, then one at the start of the run and one in RSN in case. All have like 6-8 salt pills with 2-3 tylenol as well. All for emergency scenarios like bike back pain or a clogged stomach!

See you soon!

~ Coach P
This discussion has been closed.