Home General Training Discussions
Options

choosing an IM

Looking to do a late summer or fall IM in 2018 any recommendations, IMLP or IMAZ? I have done IMWI a few times looking for a change.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Some of the first questions I think of when asking this:
    Where are you located? Can I easily drive to/from the venue?
    Will family be coming with?
    Do you have time to add post-ironman for vacation?
    Between LP and AZ, do I like and/or do well on flat vs hills?

I've done AZ twice (and thinking about a 3rd time next year) and haven't done LP yet. Also a consideration.
  • Options
    IMLOU, IMFL, or IMCOZ.
  • Options
    I've done IMWI and IMAZ.   Signed up for IMLP next year.

IMLP will be more similar to IMWI.  IMAZ is a fun, fast course.  Three loops on both bike and run which changes the dynamic (not bad or good...just different).   IMAZ weather will be much more predictable.   

I'd say it really depends on what your desires and goals are.   
  • Options
    I've done LP several times and you get great team mojo given the large number of EN participants.  While both course have climbing on the bike the LP course climbs out of town and then is back loaded on the two loops.  Similar on the run net elevation loss going out then run up back in to town with the bigger hills at the end.  Nothing too crazy but all this to say you are rewarded for good EN style execution.

If you want something a few weeks later Mont Tremblant is 3 or 4 weeks later and by all accounts a great course, and cheaper lodging than LP.  Disclaimer I've never done this race.

• Options
    IMO, you can't go wrong with either. I've done 30+ IMs, and those are my two favorite courses. LP because it is so iconic, unchanged x 20 years, with an extraordinary little town which is taken over by the race. And the swim is a blast - small lake, underwater guide wire. AZ because the place is easy to get to (15 minutes from PHX airport), very spectator friendly, with minimal weather and course terrain concerns.
  • Options
    Lake Placid feels more like a destination race or a vacation. Plus, it's iconic. You are tucked away in the mountains. AZ is a city. Different vibe travelwise. 
  • Options
    agree with all comments above, have been in LP as a competitor or spectator for 5 IMs and have done AZ 3x. LP is a unique town as everyone has said - read THIS commentary by Dan Empfield of Slowtwitch. 
    can also tell you that LP & AZ are far enough apart that you can do both!  :#

I'd do LP, 20th anniversary, huge EN contingent, etc.. 
  • Options

Thanks for the suggestions. Two in one year Scott, just

• Options
    I didnt do IMLP but found IMAZ really easy logistic, everything is close and well run.

The weather was perfect, if it wasnt that late in the year I would reconsider it but found it hard when doing a summer IM to refocus for another race in 4-5 months, i prefer to have 2 races in the 8 weeks window.

As for late summer, IMMT/IMCHOO are the 2 that come to my mind.