Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Wisconsin

2017 IM Wisc- Week 17- 4 KEYS

Week 17

I have to say I am SO PROUD and EXCITED about all your hard work for your race rehearsals!!!! And now we are 4 weeks out from race week! So let’s get chatting.  There are 4 Keys of Racing within EN. What sets EN athletes drastically apart from other athletes is the ability to know to race. You're putting in the training and doing a fantastic job of posting your information with the team to discuss but as you wind down your training in the next couple weeks you need to put your head in a space to have the 4Keys down pat. Even if you have been with EN for awhile, there is always something to learn or something you can teach to help someone else's race experience.

Not to reinvent the wheel here is a mixture of coaches perspective and a couple other race captains:

X - Race day is about execution NOT fitness

Theme for this week is important.  Start visualizing your upcoming RR2 and Race Day in terms of simply Executing your Fitness:

The majority of athletes on race day are fitness-focused (look at my T-shirt, look at my abs/veins/etc, look at how fast I can go in the first hour of the bike, etc.). They think of race day as the application of their fitness to the course, the distance. They are wrong. Race day is about the application of sound execution skills to a long day. Your fitness is just along for the ride. Through our observation of many, many races we can tell you that fully 90% of athletes out there do not understand this and do not know how to execute properly. For the Endurance Nation athlete then, race day is largely an exercise is doing the opposite of what everyone else is doing!

Easy to read/comprehend the above, difficult to actually apply on race day, when you feel rested, invincible with adrenaline and the best you have felt during the entire training cycle.  So important to start thinking and scripting this concept now.

Some other important notes- Check out the videos this week about sports specific tapering AND checking your gear! Start this  NOW because race week WILL sneak up on you!!!!

Good Job team.... keep chipping away, two more weeks left of fitness

Comments

• I'm ready for the weekend, its the 3 hr Thursday run (which I will move to Wed or Fri per work and weather) that I am apprehensive about.   I am looking forward to testing my run nutrition.  Good luck all!
  • Bibs are up.  I'm #499!  Does the team have a special bike rack?
  • 317 here

no rack to my knowlege

3 hr run = last big run!

• Well, my bib# is 2899. I may need your help finding the darn rack amidst the sea of racks and bikes.  How do you all get such low numbers?? I guess it must help to be fast!!
  • Slogged through the 18 mile run today. So glad that is over.  I'm heading up to Madison to ride the course on Saturday.  Planning to arrive at Fireman's park between 6:30am and 7:00am to ride at least 2 loops.  Would love the company if anyone can make it. It is my understanding that Chicago Endurance Sports will be having their camp up their along with the MOW event, so things may get crowded.
  • I'm #486. It looks to me like the numbers are mostly by age group with some exceptions. AWA status??

3 hour run done yesterday. It actually felt good.

@Tony - Yes, usually lots of people around this time of year. I will be in Madison Next week Friday or Saturday weather permitting.

• Wish I could be out there. My first time on the course will be race day. All I read about is how tricky the ride is, so I will be studying the podcasts and race reports for tips, then drive the course Friday. If any of you have interest in a dave tallo-like cheat sheet on how to race this course (that he did for IMC), I would be willing to pay for it in beers post race!
  • Got my 3 hr run in today, can't say it was fun!  Rain and work pushed it back.  @Tony Ledden, bib's are most certainly not based on being fast!  @Mark sounds like you are ready!
  • @Doug I can give you the ride around the course on Friday or Saturday if you would like. When are you going to be in town? Does anybody know if there going to be a 4 keys talk this year?
  • There was a 4 Keys talk last year. I haven't heard about this year. With 70.3 Worlds the same weekend, I doubt the full EN crew will be in Madison for a 4 Keys live talk. Be sure to tune into the webinar on the 29th. @Doug: I can drive you Thurs afternoon or Friday as well. 
  • HI all! So there will not be a 4 Keys talk in Madison this year- but there is recordings and TONS of info on this page.....http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/MasterRacingPages/IronmanWisconsin.aspx
    SO check it out!! I will find out if there will be a webinar pre race and get back to you this week.  
    Keep up the awesome work!!