Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

First Big Day

Had my first big day today and here are a few things I learned.

1. It was hard to keep my heart rate down...I rode a 23 mile loop and the first 9 miles are up hile and the wind was pretty fierce today so it kept my heart rate elevated for the fist part of the 3 loops. My heart rate stayed about 10 beats higher than I wanted.

2. My nutrition needs to be dialed in better. By hour 3 I felt a bit bloated and didn't want to keep drinking. I think I had too many calories per hr. I may try to alternate with water to dial down the calorie intake. 

3. The run was not at a bad pace but was more difficult than I anticipated. This was due to too much liquid in my stomach sloshing around. after about 30 min. I started to feel good.

Over all a success and I learned a lot.

Comments

• Options
    Nice Rodney. Good to get out there nice and early in the build and see what works and what doesn't.
  • Options
    Well if you fail to plan..... Was the theme for my "Big Day".  No breakfast....swim "OK"....sore and totally not in mood for bike... noodling arround...not eating/drinking...late start.  Ride Mehhh. And shortened by time to 2.5 hrs. Oh and down 3 lbs before miserable run. Slow and slower with climbing HR quit at 4 miles when HR into Z3+ and pace down to 11:00 (Z2=8:50).…and all residual motivation gone.  Walked -shuffle last mile home.   So much for a kick start to IM training plan. (Was in Transition s/p IM SR) still no legs....
  • Options
    @Rodney Poepping I had a similar situation a while ago during a HIM....at 6000+ft witch lead to a 10 beat higher HR.... couldn't get and Nutrition on bike and minimal fluids. Sips of water for first 1/3rd of run helped with a dialed back pace till I could start Gatorade but still had issues with gells.   I've learned that HR>158 and things slow down for me.  Why sprints I just do enough to get my tounge wet really.