Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Wisconsin
Options

2017 IM Wisconsin Week 18- THE LINE- PREPARE

#EN4Keys

/ THE LINE WEEK 18

Prepare your mental game. In so doing, remember there will be cumulative fatigue building throughout race day.  So important to follow your plan, race your race and prepare for THE LINE.  

EVERYTHING before The Line is simply about creating conditions for success for when the Line comes to you.

1. A successful race = a good run. There is no such thing as a good bike followed by bad run, period. In our world, if you showed up with solid run fitness, had a "good" bike and a poor run, we will ALWAYS assume you messed up your bike pacing unless you are missing a limb or are in the ICU with an intestinal parasite.

2. If you think you can ride faster than we're telling you, prove it by running well off the bike first (preferably not attempted for the first time on race day!).

3. Ride your "should" bike split vs your "could" bike split. YourCould split is what you tell Timmy you could ride on a good day, when you're out together for your Saturday ride. If you say you "could ride a 5:50," your Should split is likely 6:00 and defined as the bike split that yields a good run (see #1 above).

4. Don't be a Caboose, be an Engine! Ironman in general, but especially the bike leg, is an exercise in consistency. You don't need straight-A's to win your day, you only have to show up with your C game to be at the head of the class. If you find yourself doing the opposite of everyone else, you're doing the right thing. Lots of people passing you in the first 40 miles of the bike? Everyone else sprinting out of T2? These folks are making your race day easier by showing you what not to do; it's up to you to resist the urge to join in!

5. Think you made the mistake of riding too easy? You now have 26 miles to fix that mistake. Make the mistake of riding too hard? That mistake now has 26 miles to express itself, to the tune of X miles at 17-18' walking pace vs X miles at 8-10' running pace. Do the math. How is that nice bike split going to look as you are walking/shuffling the last 10 miles of the run adding another hour and forty minutes to your overall finish time?

**ADMIN ALERT**

* TEAM DINNER: There will not be an official team dinner. HOWEVER- I encourage you to use GroupMe which will begin on Tuesday or Wednesday of race week to try and get together on Thursday night!

*** If there are any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out. You're almost their rock star EN'rs can't wait to watch you unleash on the course**

Comments

• Options
    Hello Team, This is Frederick, the assigned Sherpa! Please let me know how I can help anyone. I am not racing WI this year but did it 3 times and ride the course a lot and know the area. For the race week, I plan on being there starting Friday morning (will need to step out for my training wkos each day). Please send me any questions you have or special needs. Last weekend, I did the MOWS (swim race) in Lake Monona and the water was relatively cool (should not be a concern for wetsuit rules! :D ). I also rode the course a few times and no issues. For those that have never gone up the Barlow hill, I strongly recommend you do and assess you have the proper crank/cassette. Short crank is a strong recommendation from most! Almost there! Frederick
  • Options
    Any idea what the pitch is on Barlow?

i have a 50/34 with 11/28 cass set up on ventum 

• Options
    Frederick Guesneau, thanks for stepping up on this.  It looks like you're the guy for the job.

Laura Becker, do you have the current count of ENers for this race?  Also, will any staff be there?

Thanks!
  • Options
    @Doug Sutherland: I have the same set up: 50/34 compact crank with shorter crank arms with 11/28 cassette. I've ridden up Barlow a few times with this set up and it works for me. It is a challenge, but don't freak out -- we only see it one time on the first loop.  Frankly, it's the tons of relatively smaller rollers that will do you in. I rode Barlow last weekend, and according to my Garmin, the steepest part of the Barlow climb shows as an 8.44% grade over a distance of 0.4 miles. I don't recall if you mentioned that you won't be able to ride the course this year; I may be confusing you with someone else.  Anyway, one piece of advice would be that at every right hand turn, expect a hill.  So be sure to upshift in preparation and stay wide to the outside of most riders who tend to bunch up on the inside.

@Frederick Guesneau : thank you for being a sherpa this year.  I read your race report in which you KQ'd and thoroughly enjoyed it! Congrats on your lovely family as well -- wonderful picture!!
  • Options
    @Doug Suytherland. (Sorry for the late reply - I actually had it written a while ago but never clicked POST!). Some of the hills are close to 15% but I trust what Tony states for 0.4 mile length. You can look at my strava for more details. The gear setup you have is what I raced with last year on a speed concept and it was fine. I trained on the course a lot last year and probably did 25+ loops. When I was going up Barlow, I primarily focused on keeping a HR below a target (155 for me). This year, I also bought a Ventum and it came with a regular 53/39 crank and a 11/25 cassette. It is not ideal; it works but I recommend what you got. I assume you either special ordered from Ventum or switch the off the shelf crank/cassette. Last weekend, I went up Barlow and half the people were walking it; it is a safe option but it depends on your goal. When I climb Barlow, it requires so much peal forces, itseems I am trying to pull my handle bars out of my frame. Happy to help. Take care.

@ Tony Ledden. Thanks for the comments. I am glad you enjoyed my RR. I hope it is useful.
  • Options
    Oh man, if its 15%, Im likely walking that thing! I tried getting up a 15-17% hill earlier this year - 4 times! - 600W held for about 45 seconds before walking it!
  • Options
    @Steve Harley - I have 20 people listed as racing. There will be no staff there, but our Super Sherpa @Frederick Guesneau will help you out with any of your needs and group me will be live starting Wed and Coach P and Mariah will be on there to help.
  • Options
     @Brenda Ross - Thanks!  I hope there is an opportunity for us all to connect.
  • Options
    Hi All - I am no great biker, and last year I road all of Barlow.  Super slow at the top, but didn't blow me up.  Be careful though, lots of folks walk (smart for some) and not necessarily on the right side of the road.
  • Options
    Hi all: I have been so busy getting ready for the race and with my busy life I haven't checked in. Are there any things I need to know about Team EN events for the race? 
  • Options
    @Jon Bergmann and all.

I can set up a dinner if a lot of people are interested. I don't think I can arrive Thursday on time for a dinner but we could try for Friday night. Who is interested?
  • Options
    I'm planning on arriving on Friday morning (I live in Chicagoland) so dinner Friday sounds good to me. (My wife will attend as well)

• Options
    I am getting in Fri morning as well. I'm in for a dinner. i will probably have my brother in law in tow. Hope to catch up with you guys
  • Options
    @Frederick Guesneauand team: would love to meet everyone Friday evening for dinner.  Would be just myself.
  • Options
    Hi Team! Info on dinner is in this weeks thread!