Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

IMSG Race Execution Plan

Thanks Nemo here goes:  I'm looking for some feed back from you veterans.  I'm trying to figure out a goal bike time and what IF I should use on the IM Pace Excel Calculator.   Based on the following information what would you suggest?

My FTP is 241 and I weigh 159 lbs. This will be my first IM with power.  I've always used a heart monitor in prior races sitting under aerobic threshold for most of the race.  This will be my fourth IM.  IM history:

2001 California IM--swim 1:04, bike 5:44 and run 4:40

2006 IMFlorida--swim 1:05, bike 5:40 and run 4:00

2008 IMF--swim 1:04, bike 5:33 and run 4:50

I've never been able to nail the nutrition so I've always suffered during the second part of th bike and on the run.  I've got one of those senstive guts.  I've been using Infinite for the last months and my gut tolerates it well.

On my race simulations I had the following results:

RS#1 Part of the Tour of California Mt Stage near Escondido-(notorios for the 12 mile climb)-     81 miles in 5:30 with ave. watts 175, norm. power 195, IF was .84 and TTS was 392, then I ran for one hour averaging a litte under a 8 minute mile pace, felt great, used carbo pro for nutrition.  Huge confidence booster.

RS#2 IMSG Couse---112 miles in 6:30, ave. power of 162, norm. power 172, with an IF of .71 and TTS of 338.  I bonked bad due to poor nutrition the night before, the morning of and during the simulation.  I was too pooped to even run.  I was dehydrated as it was a warm day with lots of wind and I wasn't meticulous about the Infinite intake. Bad day where confidence droppped.  I knew I was in trouble about mile 75 of the bike.  I've learned I've got to stick to a pre-race and race nutrition plan to a T.  I plan to get about 260 cals per hour mostly from Infinite with optional gu's, shot blocks and a little gatorade ( my palate needs a littel variety) but Infinite will account for 80-90% of my caloric race nutrition on the bike.

Comments

• Options

I would aim for .7 on race day, but you HAVE TO be good/smart that first 60-90 minutes otherwise the TSS will be off the charts!!!!

P

• Options
    Thanks Coach P! I needed some objective feedback on the situation. IF of 0.7 it is with a slow conservative start easing into things for the first 90 minutes on the bike. I hope to represent our EN team well.