Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Alicia Chase's IMLP Race Report (Warning: It's Long)

I did IMLP in 2015, finished in 13:12, which was good enough for 4th in 55-59 AG. I wanted to improve my swim and transitions, and I had been running really well in training and thought a sub-13 hr finish was a realistic goal. I suffered a leg injury near the end of May--longest run was 13 miles, and although I was able to run pain-free a couple of weeks before race day, it wasn't enough time to regain run conditioning. Knowing this, the plan was to run/walk and just finish. I also had some serious allergy issues every time I swam in Mirror Lake (I live 45 min away), and this led to some kind of viral infection that started about 10 days before race day and that I couldn't shake, all the way to race day. My nutrition plan was the same I used successfully in 2015, and that I used all during training with no issues. I had given a great deal of thought to gear and special needs bags, and spent a lot of time in the two weeks before the race visualizing the swim start and both transitions. 

Weigh-in on Thursday before the race was a shock. I was down 3.5 lbs. in a week. Verified on my home scale, so that was worrisome. Also did my fastest loop ever in Mirror Lake that day, but then suffered quite a bit on my bike ride later, which was hot and humid. Nothing unusual the next two days, other than what I thought was allergy symptoms.

Race morning was my usual anxiety attack before I left the hotel--wish I could get rid of that ritual. Had a small cup of coffee and as much oatmeal w/pb and honey as I could choke down (about 1/2 bowl). Nerves calmed down once I got to body marking. Headed to beach for a warm up swim, but had to make an emergency porta-pot stop instead, also a typical race day event. Lined up at the back of the 1:30 group, calmly waded in, and swam pretty wide left. Ended up swimming 2.6, assuming most of that was on the first loop, but I had zero contact and felt comfortable the entire loop. Went for the cable on the second loop--was hard to hold, guys keeping swimming up on me, hitting and grabbing my legs, so I tried to stay near but off it. Lots of frog kickers and I really didn't want a heel to the forehead or ribs, so I took the time to get around. End result: 5:49 swim improvement. Things to improve: Once I'm feeling comfortable, start moving over closer to the cable, so I'm not swimming farther than I need to. And give myself enough time for a warm up swim.

T1 went well. I started without help, slow and smooth, a volunteer came over just as I needed help with arm warmers and gloves, ran out and called out my number, and my bike was waiting for me at the end of my rack--2 years ago I had to get it myself. T1: 2:11 faster. Things to improve: I put a vest on because it felt downright chilly when I got out of the water. Turns out, I didn't need it, and it cost me even more time, because I had to take it off at the turnaround on the out and back.

First loop of the bike was spectacularly easy. Nailed my hydration and nutrition, peed once, bombed the Keene descent, hit 40 mph, which is fast for a lightweight like me. Did not feel like I was pushing too hard, had a light tailwind through the Notch, which made it feel like I hardly had to pedal. Pretty sure it was my fastest, or very close to my fastest loop ever, but I felt very good. Stopped at bike special needs, two volunteers got me in and out quickly with fresh nutrition and hydration, and off-loaded whatever I didn't need. Quickly realized the second loop wasn't going to be as easy when I saw the trees swaying as I headed east on the Cascades. Definite headwind on the descent, knew it would be slower, and that I'd have the headwind all the way to Ausable Forks. Made sure to ride up into bike drafts and do a slow 10 count before I passed, so I could hide from the wind as much as I could. Relieved to be out of the headwind when I got to the turnaround, still on track with nutrition/hydration, and peed again. The turn up 86 from Jay is when it started to not feel so good. It was warmer off the mountain, and by the time I got to Wilmington, I found I didn't want to eat or drink what I had--suddenly was very unappealing. Drank water and ate half sleeve of GU chomps (instead of Skratch and Bonk Breaker Bars), poured water on head and down back--I felt very warm. I could see I was losing time, and really shouldn't have been that much slower with a very strong tailwind. Bike: 7:12 slower than 2015, and 28 min slower than first loop. Things to improve: Could be I went too hard on the first loop, although NP and IF numbers were almost identical to 2015, speed and time were obviously down, and avg HR was 4 beats higher. Also, in retrospect, even though I don't do salt at all in training (I don't cramp) and it wasn't a hot day, I did have Base salt with me, and probably should've used some as soon as I started to feel hot; it may have warded off the mayhem to come.

T2--grabbed bag and hit the porta-pot for a quick pee before I went in the tent. Had help instantly, changed shorts and top to sleeveless (worried about being hot). T2: 2:10 faster, really can't think of anything I'd change.

First loop of run, my priority was to get Coke in as soon as I could, and to fill my Mile 18 bag with ice and stuff it in my shirt, both done at first aide station. First mile was the fastest of the day, and it was not speedy. Alternated water and Base salt, with water and 1/2 Clif shot, with Coke, with plain water, with refilling ice bag the whole first loop. Was determined to run all of it and reassess on second loop. Stopped and used porta-pot to pee on Mirror Lake Drive, saw my husband on the way back out of town and asked if he knew where I was in AG. If I was within spitting distance of podium, I'd gut it out as long as I could; if not, I'd start walking more. He didn't know--cell service was crappy, couldn't get tracker to work. Saw Coach P, told him stomach was bad, he urged Coke and salt, tried at aide station at Lisa G's, walked the hill, tried to run, and almost started throwing up. Knew if I started vomiting with 12 miles to go, I probably wouldn't finish. Tried a little more water and salt, aide station near end of River Rd. had broth. The first cup actually tasted good, so I hit it again after the turnaround. Almost threw up again, decided I was done with putting anything more in my stomach. Grabbed a Mylar blanket at the Med station--I was cold, which was odd. The rest is a blur. If I pushed too hard, the nausea would come in waves, and by now, the loss of run conditioning was taking a toll, so even walking was causing my IT bands and bad hip to grumble. I think I was moaning and weaving a bit, because people kept asking if I was Ok or needed help. I got to Mirror Lake Drive and a volunteer tried to take me off the course. I got feisty, which was good, gave me a little shot of adrenaline. Another volunteer, who had checked with me 10 seconds before, intervened and I was able to proceed. Stopped at run special needs to lose the silver cape and grab my long sleeved shirt (to look good for the finish line photo, ha!) Walked into the chute until the turn and then ran (I'm being generous) to the finish, heard Mike Reilly say my name, then fell into the arms of the catchers and sobbed. The last six miles or so was the hardest thing I've ever done, and I've given birth. I refused medical--I could see my husband and just wanted to get back to the hotel to throw up in private, take a bath, and get into clean clothes and a warm bed. Coach P and Mariah were at the finish, and were so concerned and ready to take over if my husband hadn't been right there, that I almost started crying again. Total race time: 14:16, 1:04 slower than 2015.

Turned out the winning time in my AG was 11:15!! and my 4th place time from two years ago (same AG) would've been good enough for 9th this year. On my best day I woudn't have podiumed in this field. Finished 16th out of 40, so I was glad I started walking when I did. It would've been too bad to DNF under those circumstances. I really have to think that the virus is what derailed me--I had a low grade temp after the race, and this has never happened to me before. But, I do need to consider I may have done the first bike loop a bit too hard, and I should experiment with salt more in training.

Comments

• Options
    Alicia, so sorry you had a bad race.  Kudos to you for gutting it out to the finish & finding some takeaways for the next time!
  • Options
    Alicia was nice to meet you and watch you race.  I saw you with Coach P and didn't think you looked bad at all.  In the multiple choice question of what went wrong a. I went too hard b. Virus c. All of the above..... I choose c. All of the above.... Thursday was the red flag which you ignored , swam hard, suffered on the bike? Just a couple days out?   Maybe you went too hard on lap one but your feelings of cold then hot then cold again thru the day , and then the inability to eat, really indicates a virus was most certainly the largest influence on your performance.  Way to gut it out.... Really hoping your feeling better now?
  • Options
    @tim cronk Thanks for reading. In retrospect, Thursday was def a red flag. I think doing the swim was ok, if only because it gave me a huge confidence boost, and didn't really cost me anything, but I should've pulled the plug somehow on the bike ride. Also, if I could do it over, think I would go easier on the bike the first loop just to bank energy, but I don't know. Think what happened was more a function of time than effort, and the clock was ticking the moment I hit the water. Went to a wedding a couple of weeks ago, visited the friends who were parents of the bride today, and found out she and many others were sick afterwards, same symptoms. Appreciate you reading and offering advice. Hope the hip is feeling good.
  • Options
    @Scott Renick, Thanks for reading, appreciate it.
  • Options
    Gutsy on a tough day....IM is a challenge on our best days....I agree with Tim...(though must say I would have liked my weigh in to be 3 lbs. less..chukl) ....it was a red flag especially followed by the feeling on the ride.  ...recover...learn and be stronger better for the experience.
  • Options
    I love your tagline quote Alicia, it's quite apropos given how the race turned out.  Doing an Ironman is such a monumental event, with so much riding on that single day, and so many crappy things can happen that we can't control, that not meeting expectations can be a huge downer.  But there's something about these races that draws us back...

And for what it's worth, I have no shame about vomiting in public after an Ironman
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2017 2:26PM
  • Options
    @Joseph Lombardi Thanks for reading. I agree many takeaways for the future, I'm pretty skinny, so 3.5 lbs isn't so good for me :o
    @Paul Curtin I have the Teddy Roosevelt speech that quote comes from framed and on a shelf in front of my trainer. I've read it so many times I have it memorized. I probably should've gone for the public puke fest, it would've made my race report more colorful!
  • Options
    Alicia, that stinks your race didn't go well.  I was ill, but not as bad as you for sure.  Well done finishing against the odds on that tough course!  Heal up and plan the revenge race! 
  • Options
    @Trish Marshall It's LP 70.3 in Sept, can't wait!
  • Options
    Alicia, you are one tough lady. I'm like you, if I dropped 3.5 # in the week before a race, alarm bells would be going off. Pretty clear you were trying to do an Ironman while also fighting off some type of infection - not a good place to be. Us OFs need to be careful we don't cross the line into over-training in the last two months before an IM - we probably need a bit more recovery on a day-to-day basis than we did 10-20 years ago.
  • Options
    Agreed @Al Truscott Recovery is very important as we age up. My only real option was to race and try to adjust as the day went on. Sitting here a week later, I do have some good takeaways, whether or not I could've done anything differently in the moment that would have helped. Looking forward to the next one!
  • Options
    Congratulations on completion of the race under those conditions.  We do the best we can do with what we have in the conditions presented.  You did great. Be proud.  Use the lessons learned for more future success.  Rip the 70.3.
  • Options
    @Robert Sabo That's the plan!
  • Options
    @Alicia Chase

Sorry to hear about the unfortunate health issues right before the race.  Amazing work finding a way to get it done with that load on your system.

I enjoyed watching train virtually during this cycle!

Sincere congratulations and good luck during the next cycle!

SS
  • Options
    Thanks, @Shaughn Simmons, signed up for next year, hoping for a better result/