Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Josh's 2017 IMChoo Race Plan

edited September 20, 2017 11:07PM in Racing Forum 🏎

Background:

This was my first Outseason with EN and it was successful. Had a small running injury at the end of OS and that's when I stopped doing intensity. FTP went from 217-251. VDOT 45-48. I did Raleigh 70.3 in June and broke 5 hours, 4:56-4:58 I think. I have not been doing much intensity on the run, staying around TRP most of the time. My weekly run mileage has improved and is much more consistent compared to last year. Usually running 6 days a week with a weekly avg of 33 miles in August and 29 miles in July. June was around 20 a week, minus recovering from Raleigh. This will be my 3rd full IM and my second time at IMCHOO. Really hoping my run durability will keep me strong late in the run.

FTP: 251

VDOT: 48

Long Run HR Avg: 148-150 

Weight: 148-150

Height: 5'10"

Thursday

No more fiber/vegetables

Swim

Breakfast

Travel to Chattanooga- Bluff View Inn

Lunch

Athlete Check-in and village

Team Dinner- 6 pm Blue Water Grille

Friday

Last short workouts/Bike Checks

Breakfast

athlete briefing

Lunch- 200 carbs

Organize all transition bags:     T1-helmet, salt pills,Gu    T2- Go Bag(hat, race belt/bib, salt, Gu) Socks/shoes

Bike S/N- extra Co2,tube    Run S/N- extra salt, lube

Big Dinner- 200 Carbs

Saturday

Breakfast-Largest Meal- 350 Carbs, NO COFFEE :(

Stretch/Roll

Lunch- 300 carbs with sodium/hydrating

Bike Drop off

Dinner- lite early meal 4:30-5pm

Bed 8:30

Race Day

Up at 0345 
-2 cups applesauce 
-honey
-banana
-16oz Gatorade endurance 
- 8 oz Naked Juice Smoothie

Morning clothes bag and special needs ready 
Suite up body glide and camious cream everywhere.
Out the door 0420-0430
Arrive at transition 0440-0445
Re-familiarize myself where bike and T1/T2 bags are
Pump up tires and Sunglasses on bike
Infinit in BTA bottle and down tube
Give Amber bike pump

Get on bus to swim start 0450-0500 

1/2 PickyBar/water 1 hr before swim start

Gel/water 15 min before Start

Swim

Goal:  55-58 min 

>Depending on current. Last year was 58 min. I could probably swim 55 if Im feeling good. My goal for the swim is to feel strong in the last 1500. 

> Count strokes, focus on a good catch and steady turn-over.

>Swim till my hand hits the stairs.

T1:

Goal 3:20 

> Last year-3:46 I was 3rd in age group

> Get up swim exit and regain balance, steady jog while removing cap and goggles, swim skin to waist. Get up the crowded ramp. Yell out number but remember where I'm at incase volunteers aren't swift. Open bag, helmet out by the time I enter tent, swim skin rest of the way off and snap chin strap. Get on the bike!

Bike

Goal:  5:35-5:45

>After working with best bike split and the EN Calculator( below) this is my power plan.

Current FTP =251
Intervalinterval Min% FTPWatt level
11565.0%163
26070.0%176
36070.0%176
46070.0%176
56070.0%176
66070.0%176
72570.0%176
Hrs 5 Min 40
Ride Totals:    NP= 175
                         IF= 0.697       
                         TSS = 276
                         Avg W = 170
                         VI = 1.030

Here is the BBS Race Overview. I'm planning on using IF .69 adjusted plan. This is all based on 152 lbs, im actually 148 consistently for the past couple weeks. I will be hanging there no less until race day.

OriginalAdjusted
Distance115.87 mi115.88 mi
Time 05:32:0705:33:32
Avg. Speed20.93 mph20.85 mph
Avg. Power171.55 w169.86 w
Normalized Power175.07 w173.53 w
Variability Index1.021.02
Intensity Factor0.70.69
Training Stress Score270266
Watts/Kg2.492.46
Avg. Yaw2.55 °2.56 °
Avg. CdA0.26490.2649
Course2014 Ironman Chattanooga (update)
BikeBMC

> Stay calm and collected. Its an easy 3-5 admin miles before settling in. Watch for Ricky Racer, bottles flying, and railroad tracks. Depending on where I come out of the water, it might be less hazardous than I expect. Keep watts around 163 (HR:128-134) don't over power and let HR limit power if needed!

> After crossing the state line stay in aero bars, no more crazy turns. Keep HR 128-134 and hydrate during this first hour.

> Let watts grow to 173 (IF .69)-175 (IF.70) HR(134-140). If my mph is sufficient I will continue my "aeroness" and let the power run low until speed drops.

>  HR historically bounces around 143-145 in the last hr. I will keep it as low and steady as possible.

> Nutrition starts out with Infinit (300cals/hr), Salt spills(2 per hr) and water for 2hrs.

> GE 1-1.5 as tolerated and Cliff Gels for 3hrs, Salt pill every hour. Extra water with the cliff blocks keeps my tummy happy. 

> Start caffeine towards last half of bike

>I finish off with water/saltpills/cliff gel. I have found this leaves my stomach feeling nice and empty. Able to run and continue fueling without feeling too full.

> Stay cool with water when it heats up. That means having 2 bottles of water for the body coming out of Chickamauga, this is when I usually feel the heat.

> Load up on water at the last aid station before the right hand turn back to town. Stay wet and cool cruise into town with confidence. Feet out of shoes before the left hand turn to T2.

T2: 

Goal 2:35

> I was fastest in age group last year

> Fancy rolling dismount and continue jogging after bike hand off. Unclip chin strap keep sunglasses on. Yell out number find and point to the volunteer closest to my bag. Open bag while running, shoes in hand when entering tent. Dump bag near exit, Socks and shoes on, get volunteer to bag helmet, grab go bag and exit.

> Manage GoBag- race belt and hat on. Stash extra chamois cream and salt in jersey and shorts. Eat Gu out of transition.

Run: 

Goal 4:00:00 (whatever the heat allows)

>All based on HR. 

> Hill right out of transition- will take this very easy, walk some if HR requires.

>Target last hour bike avg. HR (140-144) and hold that for 6 miles. Might be able to manage 138 if its not blazing hot. That's about what I run with the z1+30 pace. 

> Walking 20-30 steps at aid stations for the first 6 to stay fueled.

> Get lots of GE and gels at mile 3 and 5 within the first hour before hitting the hills. 

> Will continue GE and gels as stomach allows. Throwing in some caffeine around mile 10-11 and will repeat as needed. Coke if needed.

> Allow HR drifting to 156 climbing Barton not sustained. HR will drop back to 138-140 on downhill.

> Miles 7-20 let HR drift up to 145-148, make that rise slow and steady. Limit aid stations to <=20 sec as long as things are under control.

> At mile 21 keep HR low before climbing Barton again. Let HR fall as much as possible on downhill.  Steady 148 through the neighborhood one last time.

>Mile 23.7 last effort on Barton and let it fly to the finish line. Skipping the last aid station at the bottom of the hill.

Here is a break down of the hills on last years run with HR data. FYI it was crazy hot I ran very slow, this is just how it played out.  2017 might play out similar to last year so I thought it was worth laying this out for a reference.

2016 IMChoo  aKey Run Course Section: North shore
MileSectionInitial- Peak HRPeak- Descending HR
8.5-9.4Riverside Ascent/Descent Barton Ave.142-157157-138
9.4-11.2Neighborhood/Golf Course143-153AHR:148
11.2-12.1Neighborhood Ascent/Descent Barton Ave.145-157157-140

Wooden Foot BridgeAHR 152
2nd Loop

21-21.9Riverside Ascent/Descent Barton Ave.139-156156-137
21.9-23.7Neighborhood/Golf Course139-150AHR:145
23.7-24.6Neighborhood Ascent/Descent Barton Ave.139-160160-148

Wooden Foot BridgeAHR 163

Overall:

11:00:00 All depends on the weather that day

Check my power plan specifically, still new at the power stuff.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Hey Josh,

Haven't had a lot of time to really dive into your numbers, but the plan looks solid.  I think you rode 185w last year, so this year's bike plan probably sets you up to run better.  You spiked your watts and HR (175) on the bike last year.  Flatten those hills, don't let your HR ever get close to 175 on the bike.  This is a runner's course, so you gotta run well to play up front.

You got your HR down to 120 or so within the first 5 miles of the bike last year.  No need, IMO, to spend the first hour soft-pedaling.  You almost KQ'd last year, this is your third IM, you kicked my butt in Raleigh, so you've earned the right to get down to business as soon as that HR is down after the swim.

The swim advantage is usually only 5-10 minutes, so the strong are still going to separate from the rest.  Don't ease up if you're feeling good just because you think the current will equalize the field.  It won't.  IMNC was current-assist last year and the 14 minutes I put on the 4th place overall guy in my AG was the difference-maker.

You gotta manage the heat and hills on the run, of course.  What are your HR zones?  Specifically, where does your HR move from Z2 into Z3.  If you know.  Personally, spending too much time crossing into Z3, especially early, can spell doom.  At least for me.

Good luck.  I'll be following closely.  Especially because I'm eyeing this one next year.

MR
  • Options
    Overall, I like it.  I found the strongest current in the middle of the river, vs the left bank. Hope other Choo'ers can chime in as well on that.  I headed straight for the middle upon entering the water.  Didn't worry about finding feet to draft off of.
  • Options
    @Mike Roberts
    My HR spike was actually jumping on the bike out of T1, I think I was sprinting out of transition. I almost snuck by Rich and Mariah at the mounting line.lol

I'll stay focused and steady in the swim then get to work after HR drops on the bike. Thanks for the encouragement.

My running Z2 HR is 142-162. I can usually hang out around 158 comfortably but would not sustain this on race day.  My HR did spike to 156-157 on the big hills, I felt ok with that during the race. But you WSM are smarter is that do able again this year? I feel comfortable with that and if I'm not feeling it on race day I won't allow it. 

@Dave Campbell
    thanks, I think that's where I swam last year. I jump in a head for the island and not following the Buoy line much.