Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Florida
Options

2017 IMFL- Week 17- Starting the 4 Keys

Week 17

Hope everyone had a fantastic week!  We are now 4 weeks out from race week! So let’s get chatting.  There are 4 Keys of Racing within EN. What sets EN athletes drastically apart from other athletes is the ability to know to race. You're putting in the training and doing a fantastic job of posting your information with the team to discuss but as you wind down your training in the next couple weeks you need to put your head in a space to have the 4Keys down pat. Even if you have been with EN for awhile, there is always something to learn or something you can teach to help someone else's race experience.

Not to reinvent the wheel here is a mixture of coaches perspective and a couple other race captains:

X - Race day is about execution NOT fitness

Theme for this week is important.  Start visualizing your upcoming RR2 and Race Day in terms of simply Executing your Fitness:

The majority of athletes on race day are fitness-focused (look at my T-shirt, look at my abs/veins/etc, look at how fast I can go in the first hour of the bike, etc.). They think of race day as the application of their fitness to the course, the distance. They are wrong. Race day is about the application of sound execution skills to a long day. Your fitness is just along for the ride. Through our observation of many, many races we can tell you that fully 90% of athletes out there do not understand this and do not know how to execute properly. For the Endurance Nation athlete then, race day is largely an exercise is doing the opposite of what everyone else is doing!

Easy to read/comprehend the above, difficult to actually apply on race day, when you feel rested, invincible with adrenaline and the best you have felt during the entire training cycle.  So important to start thinking and scripting this concept now.

Some other important notes- Check out the videos this week about sports specific tapering AND checking your gear! Start this  NOW because race week WILL sneak up on you!!!!

Good Job team.... keep chipping away, two more weeks left of fitness

Comments

• Options
    Hi Laura and fellow IMF's,

Well that's the end of another long week. Finished camp week feeling great ... Ha but this past Friday I could feel the long miles in my legs.

Thanks to Mark, we managed to put in some quality work on Sat (the only bummer part is that my Y let the pool get up to 91F ... yup the longest bath tub I ever swam in).

Sundays ride although a little short ( 150 vs 210 min) ( due the the SAU account being a bit low) was great! ABP all te way... it was good to see and feel the fitness improvement of the past few months.

have a great week everyone!

Jose Carpio
    804-852-9340