Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Jeff K - 2017 IMLOU Race Plan - Redemption

Strong at the Finish – Slow is Smooth and Smooth is Fast!!

Backstory

I joined EN the week after IM LOU last year because I was frustrated with my past performances as I know I have both capability and capacity (IMMD – 12:55 in 2015 (3k swim) and IMLOU – 12:32 in 2016). Upon reflection over the last year of training and really looking at the work I have done, things are finally beginning to click. The most important part of it is being consistency - week in and week out. Fortunately, in my previous two Ironman’s my lack of fitness was partially masked by a lot of brute force and ignorance and the ability to suffer. This year, my fitness is solid and my run durability is legit and if I couple it that with a solid race plan and precise execution, the outcome will be much better.

Things to consider as it pertains to improved fitness

1. Consistent week in and week out training

2. 150 Run streak as part of the NOS and JOS

3. IM Run Build - averaged between 30-40mpw running over 6-8 runs in 2017 vs. an average of 16.7mpw over 2-4 runs in 2016

4. IM Bike Build – Lots of focused time on the trainer, outside rides were mostly group rides with the fast guys

5. Body Composition – 15lbs lighter

6. My swim is stronger this year than it was last year

7. Really stretched myself this year – Got beat down on the BRC Mt. Mitchell day but did the whole ride. Both Camp weeks in the IM Build were extremely solid.

8. Application of The Aggregation of Marginal Gains

Tale of the Tape - 2017                                                                  Tale of the Tape - 2016

Age: 44                                                                                         Age: 43

Height: 5’9.5                                                                                  Height: 5’9

Weight: 169                                                                                   Weight: 184

FTP: 285 (from July)                                                                       FTP: what’s that?? Began NOS @ 223w

vDot: 43 (from July)                                                                        vDot: say what?? Began NOS @ 38

IM Number: 3                                                                                 IM Number: 2

Goals:

1. AG Top 20%

2. Be strong at the finish = able to enjoy the carpet, celebrate and return to watch the finishers

Pre-Race:

• Wednesday – Swim and short run

• Thursday – Sleep in, morning shake out run (30 min), travel to Louisville

• Friday – Watch morning sun, athlete check in, pack bags (per EN Transition Bag List),  bike course recon, team dinner

• Saturday – Test bike – final checks, load gear, bike check in, chill, team activity

• Race Day – up at 3:45 – Pre Race Nutrition. Begin Race Day execution plan (per EN)

Swim Goal: 1:00-1:05 (2016 – 1:07:xx)

• Nutrition: Gel 20 minutes prior while sipping on GE

• Line up in the 60 min group

• Find feet early and stay on them the entire time – draft as much as possible

• Execute the swim just like the multiple Race Rehearsals

• Get legs kicking the last 300 meter

Swim Axioms

• Head neutral and grab water

• Smooth and long

T-1: Goal – 6 minutes (2016 – 10:xx)

• Wetsuit, goggles, and swim cap off, sprint don’t jog to T1 Bag

• Grab bag, move to first available volunteer and pull out supplies – volunteer packs it – Gift Card

• Bag – Hand towel, helmet, socks, fuel belt with nutrition

• Shoes on bike if allowed, if not run with them in hand

• Keep moving the entire time – you can sit on the bike

Bike Goal: 5:35-5:40 – “The Should Split” (2016 5:55:xx)

• Fuel Cell - Full with H20 (2 scoops Base Salt), 2 bottle of GE on board

• In remote box – Clif Shot blocks (2 packs) open and stacked inside

• Target of 440 kcal per hour (200 food and 240 liquid)

• Solid nutrition (mini clifs) and fluids first 3 hours, gels/blocks and fluids the remainder

• Water only as fluid the last 30 minutes

• Execute ride per EN guidance – 1st hour JRA and slowly build power

• Power target: 185w average for the day

• Do not spike power over 220w

Bike Axioms:

• Ride to Run – be smart

• First Lap is a warm up

• Be aero – hunt for free time on the course

• Bring it home the last 40 miles (net downhill) – Really focus on the power and keeping on the gas

T-2: Goal – 6 minutes (2016 10:xx)

• Hand Bike off shoes remain on bike and run to get bag

• Put all cycling gear in helmet en route to T2 bag

• Dump bag - volunteer to pack, Gift Card

• Sock, Shoe, Sock, Shoe, move out with “Go Bag”

•  “Go Bag” contains visor, run fuel belt (salt tube, 3xgel, ice bag), 920xt and glasses

Run Goal: 4:15-4:20 (2016 5:08:xx)

• 0-6 miles – Easy – get the legs going and cap HR at 135 bpm – (9:45-10:00) – Stay in the shade as much as possible.

• 6-18 miles – Steady – keep legs going, cap HR at 140-145 bpm – 20 steps per AS (9:30-9:45) if necessary

• 18-24 miles – Focused Effort – maintain form and keep cadence high, cap HR at 150 bpm – 20 steps per AS (hold the line @ 9:30-9:45)

• 24-26.2 miles – Be Strong – Suffer Like a Boss – build HR to 160 bpm, no stopping last 2 miles

• Nutrition – gels/solids at every even number stations – liquids only at odd number aid stations

• 300 kcal per hour

Axioms:

• Stick to the plan

• Be smooth while maintaining form and cadence

• Set up to be strong at mile 18

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    @Jeff Kane, Wow! You're a totally new and improved athlete...like Jeff 2.0!
    15 pounds is huge; your FTP and run fitness improvements are off the chart. I'm predicting at least a 75+ min PR! You have solid fitness and now it's about executing your race like a ninja! Great plan.
  • Options
    @Jeff Kane You have had a very consistent build for almost a year now.  You fitness level is outstanding.  Execute your plan and great things will happen!  long strokes only on the downstream portion.  Keep on the gas upstream!

See you next week!
  • Options
    @Derrek Sanks, thanks, it really is like night and day! I am looking forwarding to working through the execution of the race and all the learning that will occur!

@Brian Hagan one big takeaway is being consistent which is the key. Great point on the swim, I'll adjust based on your point. Thanks!
  • Options
    Love the plan Jeff, such a huge difference from last year's to this year's numbers.  That will show itself with a huge time improvement over last year.  Can't wait to see you execute it!
  • Options
    So much details nothing to add ! See you there
  • Options
    @Paul Curtin and @Francis Picard, thanks! See you two beasts in a few days!
  • Options
    @Jeff Kane -  Consistency + Execution = Success  ... Body comp and all your other improvements are just icing on the cake....  Brute force and the ability to suffer are special tools that not everybody possess but those are very powerful and need to be applied sparingly as they could be a two way street...  Ease into each part of your day with EN execution knowledge and unleash those special tools a little at a time beginning on the second half of the bike, and after mile 18 on the run... Trust your new found fitness and icing... Good Skill
  • Options
    @tim cronk, thanks for your experienced input. Will execute accordingly!