Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

2017 EN Ice Cream Challenge Time Trial - Are you in?

If you are considering taking part in the 2017 Ice Cream Time Trial Challenge you probably waeditnt to know some details:

Date of Challenge: Kona Weekend - October 14 & 15, 2017 (one day is good enough, but if you are an overachiever you could do both days 

Here are some video's from years 2009 - 2016 to get you fired up:

2009-2012 ICTT Highlight Video

Last years forum post has videos from some of the challengers.

2015 Bill Eckert ICTT 

2013 Joe Machette ICTT

2013 Johnathan Brown

John Withrow 2013 ICTT Video

Coach Patrick and the Girlz ICTT Video

Type of Ice Cream:
 Traditionally Ben and Jerry's. When we started this challenge B&J only had regular icecream, but now they have dairy free and vegan options. Suhwheat for those of us with food allergies and sensitivities. Now everyone can take part!!!!

Scoring System:  The scoring system was created years ago by some pretty creative EN members. If you wish to find out how the scoring system came about, you can read below, or if you are like me and you really do not care, then just sign up. The form that was created is straight forward and does not require you to calculate anything. It does the work for you 

So, what do you get if you win the challenge......HIGH FIVES, FIST PUMPS, BRAIN FREEZE AND PERHAPS A LITTLE BIT OF WEIGHT GAIN, IF ONLY FOR A DAY :-). We are all winners!!!!!

Scoring System Explanation:

• This isn't a straight up Time Trial (best time wins). We realized back in '08 that there could be advantages gamed by choosing a less calorie rich/ high fat ice cream. So WSM Cramer came up with an ICSS (Ice Cream Stress Score) and ICIF (Ice Cream Intensity Factor) to provide a normalized time for everyone to use as the TT score.
  • However, we then also realized that smaller peeps would have a bit of a disadvantage as well. So the factors were further weighted (thanks to WSM Blazer) to account for weight. (the WMICSS)

The math looks like this (get ready for an ice cream headache just reading this!!!) 

ICSS = ((kcals from fat)^2 / (total kcals * duration in seconds)) * 100 

So, let's take a pint of B&J's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. It contains 1080 total kcals, of which 520 are from fat. Our ICIF is the fat kcals squared divided by the total kcals, or (520^2)/1080 = 250.37. 

Our Ice Cream Stress Score (ICSS) has an inverse relationship to the total duration (IOW, our score must go up the faster we consume the ice cream), so we divide our IF by the total duration and multiply the result by 100 (just to make it a more impressive number). Pursuing our current example, if Rich plows through his pint in three minutes flat (or 180 seconds), that gives him an ICSS of (250.37/180)*100 = 139.09. Similarly, if Beth eases her way politely through her pint in 15 minutes (900 seconds), that gives her an ICSS of (250.37/900)*100 = 27.82. 

The ICIF and ICSS metrics really serve to equalize the stress of different types of ice cream, so those of you who can take a pint of non-fat vanilla yogurt in 45 seconds don't gain an unfair advantage over the Chunky Monkey crew. 

WMICSS (weight modified ice cream stress score) = (((fat Kcals)^2/(total Kcal))/time) * ((1/weight)*1000) 

SO...substituting my estimates at Rich and Beth's weight, you get the following for B&J Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough example: 

WMICSS (Rich) = (((520^2)/(1080))/180)*((1/170)*1000) = 818.20 

WMICSS (Beth) = (((520^2)/(1080))/180)*((1/110)*1000) = 252.90 

Rich still wins, BUT...if Beth substitutes a slightly tougher Coffee Heath Bar Crunch for Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough and gets her time down from the BOP 15 minutes to a solid MOP 5:56, then you get the following: 

WMICSS (Rich) = (((520^2)/(1080))/180)*((1/170)*1000) = 818.20 

WMICSS (Beth) = (((600^2)/(1120))/356)*((1/110)*1000) = 820.81 

Beth Wins!!! 

SOOOOOOOO, my point here is this: Pick your Poison carefully!!! 

Any questions??????

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    edited September 26, 2017 3:59PM
    I'm in!

Spreadsheet link is for last year.  Update?
  • Options
    hmmmm, can i use this to carbo load for Louisville on Sunday?  :#
  • Options
    @scottdinhofer - might be the wrong carbs.
  • Options
    I've been training with B&J's Almond milk Coconut 7 layer bar.  It's going to be a PR this year.
  • Options
    I have never participated out of poor planning, but this year I AM IN!
  • Options
    @Tom Glynn - this year was there, but you needed to just change tabs, but now it should lead you right to the sign-up page. There are some big hitters in this year's challenge. Going to be epic.

• Options
    I am definitely in! I didn't now there was a competition for something that I  do so often!  Maybe not a pint at one sitting but nevertheless I eat a bunch of ice cream
  • Options
    I didn't understand any of that math, but I understood "eat ice cream," so I'm in.
  • Options
    I'm in.  I wanted to do this last year but it was during IMAZ training.
  • Options
    This taper is driving me nuts.  Pecans and walnuts :)
    :):):)
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2017 8:30PM
    Ok, a pint of Pumpkin Cheesecake done in 321 sec. Plugged everything into the spreadsheet, but the final column doesn’t seem to be work. 
    Nevermind, fixed it.
  • Options
    @Alicia Chase that's a good time. 

My Race report:

It took me way to long to finish.  My transition was good, I had no problem opening the lid.  I started out strong, but quickly realized that I had chosen my favorite flavor of Ben and Jerry's.  That was a mistake.  It required too much chewing and enjoying vs. picking a smooth flavor that I could have swallowed easier.  Hopefully, next year I can improve my technique and shave off a few minutes.  :)  

• Options
    edited October 16, 2017 3:09AM
    Done and dusted.   @Alicia Chase you set the bar high.....but I never step back from a challenge.

@tim sullivan you are better than that.   I expect a better performance next year.

I feel a little ill now... :|

https://youtu.be/qUud7wQPklc
  • Options
    Done and enjoyed to much. I realized after I started that I would rather enjoy the ice cream as opposed to eating it quickly.  
  • Options
    The pumpkin cheesecake turned out to be a good choice. It’s a limited flavor and new to me, and I’m a pumpkin freak, so...Not the highest calorie or fat choice, but smooth ice cream so easy to eat. @Tim Sullivan, I had the same thought, but managed to overcome it  :)@Jeremy Behler, Chapeau, well done! @Gary Lewis, Thanks for the race report. I forgot about making a video until I went to enter my stats. I did take pictures of the empty container to add to my Strava ride and run that preceded the decadence.
  • Options
    Almost a DNS. Ended up with a DNF. Very impressed with Alicia and Jeremy ‘ s performances. 
  • Options
    @JeremyBehler had barely enough upper body strength to even open his container...   No wonder he's so fast.  But I think he may have been under the mandatory temperature requirement for the B&J chocolate milk shake he practically drank off his spoon.

Nice work to all!  Maybe next yr I'll come back to re-take my title!

• Options
    @John Withrow I was seriously contemplating an edit to remove my fiddling with the damn plastic wrapper.   I figured I'd get called out on it and it comes as no surprise it came from you.

I have been chugging water all day in an attempt to dilute my gut.   I literally still feel off after that 3 minutes of gluttony.  A helpful reminder why I don't eat like that.
  • Options
    @Jeremy Behler I have been incredibly “not hungry” all day. I had a little granola for breakfast yesterday, then went out and did a tough 18 mi fat bike ride and a 3 mile run. Came home and showered and went for groceries (inc the ice cream). By the time I got home, I was so hungry, I inhaled that ice cream! Calorie-wise, it was pretty close to what I had burned, so thought I would be fine. But def not much appetite today.
  • Options
    Congratulations @JeremyBehler for winning the Ice Cream Challenge.  Thanks for doing all the math as well.