Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Brian Hagan's 2017 IMKY Race Report

Overall my experience with this year’s Ironman Louisville was great!  Special thanks to @Scott Dinhofer for taking on the Super Sherpa role.  Also, thanks to @Kellie Moran-Jones for having the team over for dinner on Friday.  We really had an awesome group of EN athletes to share the experience.

I followed my plan in the morning of waking up at 3:30 and eating 2 Vega bars and a Naked Fruit Boosted Smoothie (Blue Machine).  I slept a little more,  got dressed and went to T1 at 5:00 (short walk from hotel).  I pumped my tires and then added my Amphipod fuel belt with gel flasks to my T1 bag.  I went back to the hotel, bathroom, then grabbed my wetsuit and morning clothes bag and headed down to swim start.

I found @Paul Curtin and @Jeff Kane in the 1:00-1:10 area.  Once the pros got going we were quickly moving up to the swim start and ready to go.

Swim: Goal 1:10 – Actual 1:03:24 – 45/289 (45-49) (16%).

Fuel – One gel 20 minutes prior while sipping GE

The swim is broken into 3 sections.  1) Against a slight current (if any) between and island and the shore (marina). 2) The other side of the Island with the current 3) with the current, past the Island, under 2 bridges to T1.  

Per @Paul Curtin’s advice,  I jumped in from the right deck and stayed to the right of the herd that wanted to be close to the island.  I had a little contact but not much.  I did my best to follow @Mike Roberts advice and keep the hands on the gas (high cadence, no gliding) up the current.  You really could not feel the current until you got past the island.  I was also surprised at how far past the island we went.  My Garmin auto laps every 200 yds in open water, and I averaged 1:38 pace (faster than plan of 1:40). After turning down river, for the section where I had the island on my left, I started getting some help from the current and averaged 1:22 pace.  I never swim that fast, especially for 1600 yards.  When I passed the Island and started heading to T1 for the final 1220 yards (I may not have been in a straight line) I averaged 1:13 pace.  So, we definitely had help from the current.

The good news is I finished in the top 16% of my age group.  The best I have ever done was 31% at Muskoka in 2015.  I have worked hard on my swim, and am very happy with this result.  @Paul Curtin and I exited the swim together.  He asked me the time for the swim.  I said “1:03”.  He said “No effing way!”

T1 – Goal – Efficient as possible – Actual 5:35 – 26/289 9%

Wet-suit Strippers, grabbed T1 bag, dumped in tent, helmet on, wet-suit cap and goggles in bag, grabbed shoes, grabbed fuel belt and put on waist, handed bag to volunteer jogged to bike.  I Ran to my bike.  Put shoes on, ran to mount line.

Bike – 5:57:05 – 77/289 – 27%  

Fuel – 9 24OZ GE (3 in first hour) + 1 water mid-way + 12 Gels + 2 salt pills

The plan was what Best Bike Split calculated.  However, I know that my FTP does not correlate with my 5 hour power.  I believe if I would have stuck to this, my run would have been terrible. 

BBS        
Plan
Actual
Time 5:32 5:57
AP 184 158
NP 190 174
VI 1.03 1.1
IF 0.69 0.63
TSS 263 235

As soon as I exited T1, I noticed my front tire was flat.  I pulled over to get out of everyone’s way and examined the fire.  Thankfully, @Julian Cass was nearby and he really helped me keep calm.  I had ridden on the tire before, so I know there was no pinch.  There were no signs of any damage, so I took a chance and just used a CO2 and inflated it.  Luckily, that’s all it took.  I was on my way.  The delay was about 4 minutes.  

I had about 35 minutes of coasting (including the tire issue).  If I break my ride into 4 sections, you can see that I was pretty steady for the first 60 miles.  I had the BBS plan loaded in my Garmin and was really using it as a guideline.  I pedaled easier than plan up hills (had me maxed at 230) and harder than plan down hills.  BBS had my target between 170 and 230, and I tried to smooth them closer to the middle.  Everything was going just as we talk about in EN.  People would pass me on the up hills and I would pass them back on the down hills.  The wind really picked up on my second loop of La Grange it just wore on me.  I really got a lot of negative thoughts in my head and just wanted to get off the course.  For the final 30 miles, I was heading directly into 20 MPH winds with 30 MPH gusts.  At this point, I was biking under plan and obviously a bit slower.  Here are the high level splits:

Split Time Distance Elev Gain Avg Speed Normalized Power® (NP®) Avg Power VI
1 1:33:14 30 1225 19.5 179 164 1.10
2 1:36:32 30 1660 18.7 186 169 1.10
3 1:39:45 30 1477 18.1 167 153 1.09
4 1:07:21 20.58 408 18.1 148 139 1.06

I have mixed feelings on my bike performance.  I have worked very hard on my bike the last 18 months and really thought it was going to be my strength.  I did improve from top 33% in AG at Texas to top 27% in AG at L’ville.  I really thought I would be in the top 20% of my age group.  Maybe I was close to where I should have biked than where I could have biked.   

I guess also, there was a lot of downhill for the last 20 miles, the power numbers will be down because of coasting and pedaling at lower watts.

T2 – Goal – Efficient as possible – Actual 6:13 – 33/289 11%

I could have run down the sidewalk to the T2 bags, but I chose to walk because my bare feet were hurting with all the debris that had blown on the sidewalk.  Once I hit grass, I started to run. Grabbed bag, dumped it in tent. Put helmet in bag. Put on socks and shoes.  Grabbed hat and race belt and took off.

Run – Goal – Run a marathon with sustained to increasing RPE – Actual Ran the marathon with sustained to increasing  RPE!  Actual 71/289 25%

Once I got out on the course, I saw @Julian Cass and I realized I felt great!  I failed to mention that during the last 2 hours of the bike, it dropped 18 degrees Fahrenheit.  For me, this was perfect weather to run.  It started at 60 degrees and got colder quick.

After 3 miles or so, @Francis Picard caught up to me.  He said that he needed to run slow for the first 10K, so he would stick with me…..  ;) The time flew by while we were together.  We separated at the 6 mile mark and I was averaging around 8:50 / mile at that point, but the HR was at bike HR.  For the first nine miles, I averaged 9:15 pace (I had planned on mid 9’s).  After nine miles I averaged 9:57 for the remainder of the marathon, but I really did not slow down until 20 mile.  Mile 20 to 23.5 was 10:14 pace and 23.5 to the finish was 10:52.  I only walked aid stations after mile 20, and that was for a short period to get in red bull and gels.

I did get in three gels in the first hour and stuck to water and Gatorade Endurance for the first half of the marathon.  After that, I started mixing in Red Bull and occasional gels.

Just before the finishing shoot, some guy passed me.  I noticed he had a 46 on his calf (my age).  He was looking over his shoulder at me.  I did the best I could to sprint past him and beat him, but I realized the finish was a little further than I planned and could not keep up the pace.  He eventually sprinted past me and finished before me, but it was fun to be able to do that at the end of and IM.

Overall – I finished 11:26:32 58/289 in the top 20% of the Male 45-49 AG.  I was hoping secretly in my head to get closer to that 11:00 mark, but I know I will soon enough.  I certainly made progress as you see here:

IMMT
% in AG 2015
Muskoka
% in AG 2016
Texas
% in AG 2017
L'ville
% in AG
Swim 1:19:38 58% 1:10:17 31% 1:27:21** 52% 1:03:24 16%
T1 0:08:42 42% 0:09:54 74% 0:05:11 26% 0:05:35 9%
Bike 6:36:31 74% 6:34:09 66% 4:45:24* 33% 5:57:05 27%
T2 0:04:11 39% 0:04:50 33% 0:06:51 28% 0:06:13 11%
Run  5:12:04 78% 5:02:24 56% 4:33:14 26% 4:14:15 25%
Total 13:21:06 74% 13:01:34 58% 10:58:01 26% 11:26:32 20%
* Texas bike course 18 miles short
** No Wetsuit

I was not planning to do a full IM in 2018, but this race has me wanting to do another!  We will see.  For now, I will rest and then focus on Ultraman Florida.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Brian - I like the progression of numbers on your IM races chart. This was just a tune up , big training day for UMFL.  How did your nutrition work?  Day before?  Morning of? All through the race?  Take that break and then get to work its only 4 months away.
  • Options
    @Brian Hagan - really great race, man.  Congrats!  That's a huge PR.  Progression in process.  Louisville is a tough course to try and improve your bike execution skills, but that's probably an area to keep your focus on.  Yes, you want to increase those watts (especially compared to kg's), but you also want to generate more mph/watt through race execution.  That swim was a thing of beauty and brought a smile to my face from 1/4 around the world.  IM or not next year, keep plugging away.  I'm confident good things will continue to happen.  MR
  • Options
    @Brian Hagan great to meet you and race with you. As with every race we learn and grow and I have no doubt that you are setting the conditions for a strong Ultraman. Given the tough bike conditions and the bike issue, your execution was spot on. Most importantly was your calm cool demeanor the whole day. That my friend, is an asset! 
  • Options
    @Brian Hagan - super cool to hang out all weekend and enjoyed learning about all things Zwift from you. Per Roberts' comment above, LV is a super tough course. there are few stretches of flat out riding, often you have a hill and it's preceded by a downhill, it's a course that is easily overbiked (see my RR) and when done that way chews you up & spits you out. You stayed in control & conservative and had a great overall race from it. Looking forward to seeing how you handle the UM!
  • Options
    Way to hang in there and stay cool with that flat tire!  You had an awesome race, and you will go much faster very soon.  Get that UF race out of the way and come back to doing normal stuff with us
  • Options
    Awesome report and results Brian!  I've no doubt that you'll crack 11 hours soon!  Maybe on the IMKY course next year?  Hint Hint. ;)  

Recover hard and I look forward to following along on your Ultraman journey!
  • Options
    @Brian Hagan
    Fantastic report and huge congrats on the PR.  You can tell the work that you put into it this year paid off.  The conditions we had to deal with were challenging and to see you pulled off such a result is even more rewarding.  Julian and I enjoyed catching up with you off course as well and look forward to seeing what is on the agenda for 2018!  I am sure we will be riding zwift over the winter no matter what happens.

Rest up and enjoy the success.
  • Options
    @tim cronk I was very happy with the day before nutrition as well as the morning of nutrition.  I am going to try something new on the bike.  The more I think about it, the more I think that is what slowed me down the last couple of hours.  I was pretty much on my plan for GE and gels, I believe I was one bottle short, but I did take and extra gel in the last hour.   The problem is my stomach felt so bloated.  I do not ever want to touch orange Gatorade Endurance again.  I just ordered a vegan version of Infinite and going to try that in UMFL training.  Thanks so much!  I am ready to get moving on that for sure!

@Mike Roberts Thanks.  That means a lot to hear a complement on the swim from you!  I would really like to be in FOP swim one of these days. 

@Jeff Kane Thanks!  It was great meeting you and your wife!  You and I were so close to each other during the race.  I felt the mojo every time I saw you on the run!  Plus, you looked tough with the black eye!

@Scott Dinhofer - I loved hanging out with you!  I am looking forward to tracking you journey to IMLP next year.  I believe if you have a Paul Curtin type focus, you will be doing a second one in October.  Hopefully I will see you on Zwift and in Boone!

@Paul Curtin I loved hanging with you and meeting Mo!  I learned a lot from you and will be in touch.

@Trish Marshall - Thanks so much!  I am not ruling out 2018 IMKY.  I would love another crack at that bike course!  Hopefully we will cross paths in our home state!  

@Dawn Cass I cannot wait to ride with you and @Julian Cass on Zwift!  You both made an awesome weekend even better!  I have a feeling we will get a chance to race the same course again someday!
  • Options
    @Brian Hagan - Nice to finally meet you !!! you did a great job on a tuff course with tuff conditions. Seeing you on the run course probably save my run as I was already running stoopid fast !

Pretty sure your 11H is closer than you think ! as your run keep getting better through all the races and the same with the bike!

rest well, you got big business to take care soon =)
  • Options
    @Brian Hagan Huge PR! Congratulations!!

I think Louisville is a tough course for you because it is so technical - we really don't have any training routes to work on skills needed to ride rollers efficiently (we need to find something). I think backing off the watts was a really good decision and you were rewarded with a run PR.

Looking into future training, I think that bike execution skills and building some bike workouts to build your stamina over 5-6 hours could make a big impact for you.

This has a been a tough year with the health setback - super impressive to bounce back and have a race like this.

Congrats again!
  • Options
    @Francis Picard Thanks!  I am feeling better now after reading other IMKY RR.  It seems like we all slowed down the second half with the winds (and green balls).  Also, I appreciate the comment on 11 hr. Thanks for that! 

@Rich Stanbaugh - Thanks!  Yep, I would love to get some wkos to help lift 5-6 hour power.  Good luck with IMLC!
  • Options
    Brian, Congrats again on a great race. Top 20% in a very competitive AG is legit! As you mentioned, you rode your "should" bike based on the conditions/terrain, which set up a great run. Keep up the consistent training and you'll more than break 11:00.  It was nice meeting and hanging out with you. Looking forward to racing with you again. Best of luck with UMFL!!
  • Options
    Great race and report!  Congratulations!  I really enjoyed meeting you this past weekend.  Good luck at UMFL!