Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Directives

Any legal folks in da haus?

After my dad's unexpected (and as of now, positive outcome) medical issues and one of my dear friends passing recently, I think I've (finally) come to the realization that I'm not getting any younger and need to line my ducks up. Besides, hearing about all the crazy stuff going on around the world and even more locally than that, it sounds like a smart idea.

I know both medical and financial "directives" are usually used to make the post-life decisions easier and faster transitions (see how I tied that back to triathlon?) for the next generations.

Can anyone suggest an affordable way to tackle those?
What does one suggest for legal documentation?  How formal do they have to be?
My dad has a trust set up (I'm a beneficiary as well as the executor), that SHOULD make the arrangements easier. Does that set-up benefit someone such as myself (single without kids) as well?

FYI, I'm in Texas (Dad is in California). I know that has to make a difference.

Serious advice appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    @Scott Alexander Do you still work for AT&T?  There may be a benefit through the company that can help.  My wife and I have all this through our living trust.
  • Options
    @Scott Alexander Do you still work for AT&T?  There may be a benefit through the company that can help.  My wife and I have all this through our living trust.
    Yes sir, I do. I hit 20 years at EOY (how crazy is that?!?). I'll look into it, thanks Starkman (I'll continue to use the nickname I know you by. haha).
  • Options
    @Scott Alexander - I did mine back when I made tons of dough with an expensive trust & estates attorney, but you basically need - 
    • A living will
    • A last will and testament
    they are legal docs, but I am sure there are cheap / ez ways to get them done, as @Remesh2000 (AKA Dirk Diggler) reccomended

can i have your bikes in the will, please?  :#