Home Announcements 🎙
Options

OutSeason Plan Improvements & 2018 Drafts [Updated 09/19/2017]

2»

Comments

• Options
    Looks great!  Like everyone else, I like #2.  In the past I would occasionally load up the intermediate plan if I felt the need to dial back.  I'll be doing the OS on my own start time this year, plus a lot of hacking to accommodate other activities, but I'm going to clear the calendar for Fall 2018 to get a full 14 weeks with the October start.
  • Options
    ALL, thank you so much...I am on this as of 9/25!!!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Okay, the Version One Draft Edition of the 2018 OutSeason Bike and Run Focused plans are available in the training plan dropdown menu.

I am looking for some brave souls to review and proofread the plans...posting any issues or problems here in this thread by Friday October 6th. Please note, the resources aren't updated yet so please withhold any comments on that. 

Here is a list of the changes I made as I went through:

Macro:

-  Created a single main set for all abilities. 

- Abilities are now Level 1 (Beginner), Level 2 (Intermediate), Level 3 (Advanced)

Run Focused OS Plan

- Removed all days off as listed.

- Combine bike tests into a single test.

- Moved all tests to weeks 5, 10 & 14. 

- Fixed weekly run targets from mileage to frequency.

- Added Swim Workouts

- Updated Sunday ABP rides to reflect time in Zone 3 by ability level. 

- Updated Bike FTP workouts to remove warm up (in sidebar now) and leave main sets.

• Phase 1 = build time at FTP

• Phase 2 = build FTP at fixed time

• Phase 3 = boost FTP with 110% sets

- Updated VO2 sessions by Phase:

• Phase 1 = 30" interval

• Phase 2 = 1’ intervals

• Phase 3 = 30"+ Intervals (Max + Zone 5).

- Updated all brick runs to be time or distance by Ability Level.

- Created three phases of the Quality Weekend Run: 

• Phase 1 = Zone 3 / HMP intervals

• Phase 2 = Zone 4 / Threshold intervals

• Phase 3 = Negative split running. 

Bike Focus OutSeason® Plans

- Changed all priorities such at bikes are high, runs are Medium or Low. 

- Made Tuesday Brick Runs optional.

- Remainder of ride time in Bike Focus is Z3 (run focused is z2)

- Moved thursday brick run to a Friday optional run. 

- Saturday Ride has new Sweet Spot training. 

Can't wait to get your feedback, thanks Team!

~ Coach P

@Paul Hough @Derrek Sanks @Abbey Bonner @Brad Marcus @Scott Giljum @Paul Curtin @Brian Terwilliger @Scott Imlay  @Gordon Cherwoniak @Alicia Chase @Al Truscott @Todd Bray

• Options
    I've spent a lot of time this summer working on the WKO4 Optimized Intervals in a semi-OS style with a lot of success.  FTP'ish Intervals on Tuesdays, VO2'ish on Thursdays.  I will continue these over the OS on the days listed in the plan.  Have done no 30/30's this summer.  If you are hitting the on part of the 30 hard enough, you will need much longer than 30sec to recover.  For example, my closest Optimized Interval to 30sec on is 37sec at 569w with a 7 min recovery with a FTP of 245w.  I know not everyone is using WKO4, but seems like a huge disconnect from 30/30's to these?
  • Options
    @Dave Campbell Read this thread until you get to Coggan's response at the very end.  You will never find a VO2 wko that works for everyone.  http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/V02_max_intervals_on_the_bike_(Trainer_Road)_P6264183-2/
  • Options
    Thanks Brian, that's why I'm using WKO4's Optimized Intervals.  They adjust after each ride and are very specific to my PD curve.  This may be another topic than the original question.  
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick

I have proof read the Bike focused plan, (hope to get the run done over the wknd/next week if I can).

All weeks; SAT: Sweet spot - no explanation of what sweet spot actually is.

Wk 2: SUN: Level 3 Run: (think should be 45'@TRP then 20' etc)

Wk 5: WED: Coach notes (not applicable)
           THURS: Coach notes (Refer to Weds)

Wk 6 - 9: FRI: Level 1 - No duration/time

Wk 10: WED: Is this an option of either  of the 2x work outs or Thurs as well ?
            THURS: No Thursday ?
                SUN: Level 1 - 21 x 1mi (woah :-))

Wk 11: WED: Level 1 - Duration/time 80' ? (60' maybe ?)

Thats all I could find, thanks for doing this, it looks good & like it's gonna be a tough winter but, hey, work works :-)
  • Options
    I remain in total denial (ignorance?) about my place in the world, athletically and otherwise ;) I am requesting a thorough explanation/guidance for how to define yourself as level 1,2 or 3. 
  • Options
    I remain in total denial (ignorance?) about my place in the world, athletically and otherwise ;) I am requesting a thorough explanation/guidance for how to define yourself as level 1,2 or 3. 
    In the past, level 1 (previously: Beginner) was reserved for total newbies to long distance tri, and those coming off an injury or prolonged hiatus which kept them from training for a substantial amount of time - months to years. Level 3 (Advanced)  was intended for someone who had already done an IM in under 11 hours, or a half hour in under 5. (Emphasize *already*.) Everyone else would be.expected to do Level 2 ( Intermediate).

Havent looked yet @ this year's  plans, but previously, 2&3 ended up at the same place in terms of weekly volume and intensity; level 2 took a more gradual ramp up. As someone right on the border between 2&3 ( at least in the past), I would often mix and match Int & Adv as the build went on.
  • Options
    I know that every year you get the workouts added into trainerroad - is it possible to get them setup as actual plans inside the app? Just makes it a little bit easier to load the workouts.

The other TrainerRoad suggestion is to include the warmup into the actual workout - Since TR doesn't support "playlists" so that i can go from one workout to the other without loading them separately, I always ended up using workout creator to merge the two workouts. If the intention is to do a warmup and the workout, just make that the default. If somebody is not going to do a proper warmup, they can skip forward.

Lastly, it would be awesome if you could have a printable OS workout schedule, or the ability to create a calendar with the workouts. Think along the lines of training peaks how the coaches could load up your calendar with the workouts. 
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2017 12:17PM
    @Coach Patrick

Couldn't find any typos or mismatched items that hadn't been pointed out above.

I like that its a single plan (either bike or run) with the 3 levels in one.  Makes it easy to dial up or down if life or other issues require one to do so.  And for someone in level 1 or 2 to step up a level easily if they feel confident.  Or a 2 or 3 to drop down if they think they took on a bit to much without having to go and reload a new training plan or go back and forth loading and reloading plans to see the workouts.  

This OS is radically different than 2017.  Would love a Town Hall or video/podcast for the team to explain the reasoning and thought process behind the changes, and what performance improvements are expected from the changes.  

One thing I am curious about with the run portions is why is there zero Z5 running?  And very little Z4?  Seems at first glance, that near or better than 75% of running is at TRP.  I'd have to run the actual math for the real number.  Curious as to how the lack of fast running will produce 5K, 10K, and HM PRs. Which is a big focus of the OS.  Fast then far!

The elimination of hill running seems odd as well.  
  • Options
    Looked at the Run OS plan. Only thing I saw @Coach Patrick is in week 10, you have the Level 1 athletes doing 21x1 mi repeats for the Saturday run. That's gonna freak some people out  :s
  • Options
    Looked at the Run OS plan. Only thing I saw @Coach Patrick is in week 10, you have the Level 1 athletes doing 21x1 mi repeats for the Saturday run. That's gonna freak some people out  :s
    We race IRONMAN!  Something wrong with 21 x 1 mile repeats?  LOL
  • Options
    The plans look great! I like the changes. One of the many things I like about EN is the yearly improvements to the plans to make us a better, faster, smarter athlete. Major kudos!

I noticed 1x2 or 1x3 mile repeats were removed. Maybe they can be added back to the Sunday long run in the last 4 weeks as preparation for the end of OS race/test and triathlon pre-race season? I also like how the bike VO2 intervals are at max sustainable effort vice Z5. I think this makes them more effective.  Thanks.
  • Options
    @Brian Terwilliger Throw in 5 more repeats and change it from Z4 pace to Z4 HR, and you basically have my Strava file from race day!
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2017 11:42AM
    @Coach Patrick

Went back and read the plans again to see if I missed anything.  Someone else may have pointed it out and I missed their post.

Run focus plan, week 1-5, Saturday run.  Says "This is your HARD long run, including some quality Threshold / Zone Four work."  There is no Zone 4 work listed on any of the runs.  They are TRP majority with a Z3 push at the end.
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick

I have now proof read the Run focused plan.

All weeks; SUN: BIKE - Assuming that the Z3 work is upto you how you insert into the MS, e.g. 60' Z2 MS that includes 30' @Z3, could be, 3x10, 6x5, 2x15 etc etc... But this is an assumption and is not explained(don't know if it needs to be?).

Wk 2: SUN: Level 3 Run: (think should be 45'@TRP then 20' etc)

Wk 5: WED: Coach notes (not applicable)
           THURS: Coach notes (Refer to Weds)

Wk 6 - 9: THURS: RUN - Level 1 - No duration/time

Wk 10: WED: RUN - 2 x runs, 1 of which is a test. Coach notes do not go with test.
            THURS: RUN - TEST ? Coach notes refer to wk 8
                SUN: RUN - Level 1 - 21 x 1mi (as has been mentioned earlier in this thread)

Thats it, all I could find :-)
  • Options
    Coach, you asked  a good question-which plan should I follow? What types of questions should I ask myself in deciding?  Also, I would request a swim plan for 3 days a week. I'm still in need of swim workouts due to my "still learning status".  
  • Options
    Thanks Team!!!

• Added information on Sweet Spot training to the OS Bike Focused plan. 
    • Fixed Wk 2: SUN: Level 3 Run: (think should be 45'@TRP then 20' etc)
    • Improved time instructions on Friday optional run
    • Fixed Wed Week 10 double run
    • Added Zone 4 running to FTP Wed runs for weeks 11, 12 and 16..making 6 weeks of Z4 running. 
    • Fixed bad Sunday long run descriptions in Weeks 1 to 5 of the Run Focused OS plan. 
    • Added Zone 3 interval instructions to Run focused plans in the Coach Notes. 

• Options
    @Coach Patrick

Please create 2018 bike workouts in Trainerroad.  Would like to use ERG mode on trainer.
  • Options
    @Jubal Dais I will. This is a 40-hour project that only 25% of the Team uses, and I am behind on quite a few core elements to the OS plans (and other Team content)...it might be done on a Just In Time basis, so I thank you in advance for your patience. 
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick - As a heavy user of TR, feel free to PM me and I can help create the workouts. 
  • Options

@Coach Patrick - I'd also be happy to help create the TR workouts!

• Options
    @scott imlay @steve boer thank you both soooo much for you help!!!
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick 

I didn't see anyone else mention this, but it appears we have mixed directions for Nov OS (Run Focus) Wks 11-14 Wed Run

The workout is mile repeats, but the description reads like the previous 10 weeks of TRP + Opt Last Mile Fast