Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

Race Plan

Hey all!  I'm attaching my race plan for IMAZ.  This is my first full ironman.  Feedback welcome and appreciated!  Thank you!  - Keith
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Hi Keith - very nice job of thinking through the plan step-by-step.  Here are a few things to consider:

T1 - There really isn't any reason to spend 10' in transition. Looks like the leaders in your AG are around 4:30. The biggest way I've found to speed up transition is to eliminate the moving parts. I get everything on my bike that I can so that my bag has a helmet and shoes and (sometimes) a fanny pack of nutrition. To the extent possible, I get everything on the bike. Some things I do differently (take them or leave them):
    - Gels go in a gel flask that is on the bike
    - Tylenol rather than ibuprofin and it is in a baggie on my bike.
    - Shoes go on the bike if possible - otherwise I rubber band them together so that I can carry them in one hand to bike mount. Running in bike shoes scares me that I will slip and tweak something.
    - I butter the chamois up in the morning and never touch it again
    - I get a good coating of Bull Frog sunscreen in the morning. It sticks to me all day, so I only need touch ups from time to time and I apply that from a spray can.
    - I always choose a side to mount so that I am protected from other riders by a fence (same thing on dismount)

Bike
    - I set an alarm on my garmin to remind me to eat. Mine is set to 25min so that I am taking in smaller amounts of calories a couple times each hour. I process them better in small batches.
    - I use the food alarm and my lap alarms to remind myself to drink. I have autolap on 3 miles, so I am drinking at least every 9' or so. Hot dry air means drink frequently!
    - I use Honey Stingers too. I also race in a speed suit without pockets... so I use a Amphipod mesh run belt to hold the stingers. I can fit 8 into it no problem.
    - I get a little sick of the GE flavors on the bike... so I start with Cherry in my bottles then switch to whatever they have on the course... just a way to mix it up a little.
    - bike dismount - choose a side so that you are protected by the fence.
    - I step out of my shoes while finishing the bike, pedaling with my feet on top of the shoes. The main reason is that I feel a lot more secure running to t2 on bare feet rather than slipping along in bike shoes. One less thing to do in T2.

T2 - best in your AG is about 3'... lots of time for you to grab here vs your plan.
    - Consider putting everything besides your shoes and socks in a big ziplock bag. Then T2 consists of putting on your shoes and sock and leaving with your "go bag." You can take everything out as your walk or jog out of T2. Try not to stop moving.. you have to cover all the distance anyway...

Run
    - If you need to run/walk, consider basing walk off of steps that you count. I've found that I'm too much in zombie mode to accurately judge time or to look at my watch and tell time. Basing walk segments on time results in me walking a lot more than planned. But I can count... so I count the steps then take off again.

I hope you have a great race. Everyone has their own approach to doing this... just sharing some ideas with you!

• Options
    Rich!  Many thanks for the great ideas and sharing your expertise.  Will read this carefully and make adjustments.  Appreciate it!!!
  • Options
    @Keith McNulty
     Love your race principles!  Those are great.  We should be close together - I am #603.

I assume you have practiced the button's on the watch for Tri - those always confuse me...I always hit the wrong one. LOL.
    I am bringing two pairs of goggles - one is mirrored.  Didn't need them last year as there was overcast, but if it's sunny I understand it's good to have mirrored ones so you can see in case the sun reflects from the buildings. 

look forward to meeting you/seeing you on course!
  • Options
    Release the Kraken I like it :-)
  • Options
    Rich has a great kist of suggestions above. Random thoughts:
    • You've got two pickups @ the airport noted; is there any way someone else can do the Saturday pickup, to let you get as much rest the day before as possible? The airport is quite close to Tempe.
    • Don't see a list of what goes in your bags, but I assume you've got that covered with checklists? Reason I mention, is I have always put a spare pair of contacts in my Swim>Bike bag, in case goggles get flooded. Never used them, but it's nice to know they're there.
    • Watch/timing...I don't really pay much attention to getting my watch going until after I'm settled in on the bike. Several reasons: One less thing to worry about at the start and in transition; Ironman does a great job of providing splits for me, which are totally accurate; I'd rather worry about may race than my exact time. So I don't use the watch at all during the swim; I wait until I'm settled in - maybe 30-60 seconds - before starting on the bike; again on the run, I deal with my Go Bag for the first 400 meters or so of the run, then hit the run button. The less time I spend worrying about my time, and the more time I spend worrying about the processes of the day, the better I end up doing.
    • In addition to steady pacing, the key to a successful IM AZ bike is being prepared to be aero through the full six hours. For me, that means making sure I take frequent - like every 15 minutes or so - "sit-up" breaks. That's when I drink, wiggle my butt, shift to the bull horns, etc, for 30-45 seconds. It's kinda like walking for 20 steps every aid station. It may seem slower, but I;ve found it results in a faster overall time. There's no need to stay in an aero tuck for 112 miles unless you are a pro trying to get to Kona. Better to treat your back to frequent breaks; it will thank you on the run. And you'll feel great when you notice that half the people biking around you on lap three are sitting up!
    • Run: you've never done an Ironman before, so unless you've got an ultra-running background, this will be unlike anything you've experienced before. Not like a long run or race rehearsal in training, not like a stand alone marathon. Just a couple of suggestions...think of front loading the fuel and fluid. By the time three hours rolls around, it starts getting harder and harder to put/keep anything in. Meaning, a cup of gatorade every aid station at mile 13+ may be more calories than your body can deal with by then, if you are still running. And...
    • If you want to replicate the grit of Sanders, and keep going like Lange, then think of this - every mile will feel harder than the last. If you try to run with the same feeling of RPE, you will surely slow down. Thats where mantras and "one things" (its best to have more than one) play a large part. You've got to have a REALLY good reason and IRON determination to keep running after mile 11 or so. Anyone who's run a full Ironman marathon will tell you that. It's not easy for anyone, no matter how fast or slow (even the walkers) they go. Take energy from the crowd, from people passing you, from people you pass, from the quiet cool night air, the stars overhead ... you'll need it all.

• Options
    Keith, looks very detailed.  One question I thought about is that you plan to take in zero water.  Have you practiced taking in all of that GE with no water in between?  Have you thought about nutrition when you just get plain sick of ingesting the same thing over and over all day?  You may want to be flexible to switch it up some just for sanity.

I have always messed up the multisport mode on my watch, too focused on racing and always manage to push the incorrect button.  Do you have a bike computer to be able to focus on and set alarms?  This will make things easier.  What I used for my first last year, also IMAZ, was no watch on the swim, nothing to really worry about as you can get your finish time when done.  Bike computer ready to roll and synced to devices already when you leave T1.  Watch in go bag for the run.  Put it on when leaving T2 and start.  It will have solid charge, and no problems for the run.

They also line up all of the bags in transition in rows.  Florescent green or yellow tape around the perimeter will help you run right to your bag and grab it.

I'm working registration on Thursday afternoon and SuperSherpa all weekend.  Let me know how I can help you.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2017 8:55PM
    I love rule #3.

I raced IMAZ in 2014.  I believe @Al Truscott raced it that year and @tim cronk was there providing big support.

I had one of my best IM runs at that race.

It was one of IM races where I was able to stay focused and disciplined in keeping my box as big as I could for as long as I could in terms of pacing and nutrition......and that really paid of for me on the back half of the run.

Swim - my two cents is to swim as straight as you can, buoy to buoy and do not go anaerobic unless you are @Mike Roberts or your last name ends in Phelps.

Bike - a 14 hour planned IM is going to require some calories.  I like the solids of Stinger waffles and PB crackers mixed in with the liquid calories on the bike.  I would follow that caloric intake for a maximum of 3 hours on the bike then shift all caloric intake over to liquids thereafter.  Solids on the back half of the bike almost always turn into stomach problems and bowel movements at some point during the run from my experience. During the 2nd half of the bike I typically need some source of caffeine at least once an hour.....but I wouldn't deviate too much from anything you have done in your training leading up to race day.  At IMAZ, staying aero pays big dividends as already mentioned.

Run - The IM run is insanity.  This is where a big box can go along way.  If you can get to the run, having hydrated well, conserved your matches as much as possible on the bike and taken in your calorie requirements planned, you will be ahead of 75% of your competition.  Your target HR of 135 bpm off the bike looks smart.  Alot of keeping your box spacious has to do with not being stupid, and getting ahead of yourself.  You are going to see and incredible number of people flying on the first several miles of this marathon.  Do not be tempted to change your plan of execution at this point no matter how good you feel.  You are going to be so happy to be off that bike, adrenaline pumping, legs warmed up and ready to go.  Don't be fooled, things will get dark.  The question is, how long can you keep the box open before the time comes for the real work?  Do whatever it takes to keep that HR at target those 1st 6 miles.

During the run, a lot of issues can come up.  98% of those issues can be brought back into control by simply slowing down.  HR climbing too fast, slow down.  Stomach aching/sloshing, slow down. Muscle cramps, slow down/stretch/get salt. 

I separate issues/problems from fatigue/general pain.  Once I make it to mile 13, I re-assess and note my condition.  What do I need, how do I feel?  With IMAZ, I was still in a good place by mile 13.  My box was still relatively healthy.  By mile 15 I was mentally preparing myself to race the last 8 - 9 miles.  I was telling myself to forget about my HR target, my tired legs, my tired body and prepare to hold the line, push through the mental and physical fatigue and get it done.  The entire day, I had focused on staying in my box.  Now it was time to switch gears and take control and now I could get that done because I had spent the last 9.5 -10 hours staying in my box.

Wishing you great skill and execution out there!  You have a great plan!

KMF!

SS

• Options
    Looks great Keith, the feedback from the others covers everything from me.  I like how you have the bike and run segments broken out

“Flying form of the Nutmeg”  ... the One Thing can be highly personal, perhaps some day you'll enlighten us on what this means

Good skill on race day!
  • Options
    WOW!  Thanks to all of you amazing people who weighed in on my plan with experience, perspective, and insights.  I'm literally copying everyone's comments into an appendix to my plan, and then will edit my plan by tomorrow based on the feedback.  Huge thanks to Rich Stanbaugh, Al Truscott, and Shaughn Simmons for taking the time for the detailed points.  Great comments and thoughts from Ann Sloan, Tim Cronk, Gary Lewis, and Paul Curtin as well.  Ann - it looks like you're a Smile Train athlete too based on your #, look forward to connecting.  Gary, I will see you at Thursday registration.  Hope to meet all of you either at IMAZ or down the road!  - Keith