Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

Week 18 taper party!

did my last rr on Tuesday. All of a sudden it is cold and dark in San Antonio. The thought of hitting the pool today is really distasteful.

Comments

• Options
    I hear you.  I really dislike the taper. 

With the shorter workouts and extra rest I *think* I should be killing it in the pool, running 5:00 miles and pushing 400w for an hour on the bike, but in reality I feel sluggish, stiff, and it's difficult to get myself out the door. 

I just keep trying to remind myself this happens every time, it's part of the process, the hay is in the barn, and the fun stuff is about to happen...
  • Options
    I got to swim in TT pond today-last splash and dash for 2017. 
    I did the 4 thousand meter. Not the same course but same water. We do 4 loops, start at boat launch on north side, swim about 250 west almost to mill bridge, turn,swim east 500 turn and back to start. 
    AM low temp 57 and water 64. Looking at week forecast, no cold front predicted and Sunday supposed to be be low of 59.(high 83, precip 0% chance, humidity 23%).  Soooo, here's hoping for no colder than 64!!!!

i was a little cold in chest but it was tolerable. I felt fine swimming-on target for my 'rock' time of 1:40. If temp below 63 I'm going to join the sherpas!

i ran 2 mi before with 4 paw pal Emma then 2 mi after. Left wet gear in car in boat launch parking lot (just south of Papago park). Ran under 202 bridge to Papago park and up the 'hill'. I hadn't ever appreciated just how much of a rise it is to the park. When you turn onto curry it's .25 hill, levels a bit than another ..25 then drops just before you turn left and run down lakeshore, under freeway again and back to the lake   

Then home and  2hours on trainer that was on my schedule today. 

I have to work tomorrow so I think I have the day off. 
  • Options
    @Betsy Kantor thanks for the update on the Tempe Town Lake water temp. I couldn’t find that anywhere on the google search. Although, I generally figure about 10 degrees above the morning low is pretty close. When it gets below 60 degrees, like 2015 and 2007, I like to wear to swim caps to trap a little more heat. I still haven’t figured out how to deal with my numb hands after 45 mins in those temps. For some reason, I struggle to “grip” the water on my pull and my dominate right hand fails first. 

I’m with you on the “hill”. It’s a sneaky challenge, especially on lap 2, and of course that’s where they alway put a photographer! 

• Options
    @Michael Kichler
    1-sadly the TTL temp monitor site is inactive  There is no web source for water temp
    2-I always wear my neoprene cap under regular swim cap this time of year.  I forgot my earplugs yesterday, like a did race day 2016.  I hope I remember them sunday
    3-I don't remember 2015 being that cold.  On the bike yes
    4-I think once I get cold, I don't even realize my pull becomes useless.  Its just about enduring to get it done