Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

Saturday logistics question

he folks. Starting to think about the logistics for this race and I could use some advice from the vets.
i fly in Thursday and my plan is to register Friday, pick up my bike from tbt and ride it back to our hotel ( about 8mi).
on Saturday I'll ride back to the race site to drop bags and bike.
my question is - are any of y'all going to do the practice swim on Saturday? I'd like to get in the water at the very least. But I'm not sure if there will be time to drop bags and bike off and get to the swim before it closes.
any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    I will def get in water - just cause it's the only time to get in.  Plus I haven't been in open water in several months.  To be honest can't remember last year how I did the drop off - but since I don't remember it must not have irritated me too much.   
  • Options
    If you can, do a practice swim in Tempe Town Lake.  It is very murky.  You can not see your hand when it is stretch out in the water in front of you.  If you have not been in water like that before, the experience will allow you to relax on race day.  
  • Options
    There is plenty of time. I read the schedule yesterday and if I remember correctly the swim starts later-10am. The village opens at 9. The bike line moves fast and you could leave your bags in the grass by lake where everyone leaves bags/clothes while they swim. 
    I got to do splash and dash today in lake, 64 degrees. I posted about it in a week 18 thread
  • Options
    Weather is not predicted to get that cold this week (lows in high 50's, highs in the 80's) leading into next weekend so water should hold at 62-65. It was pretty nice last year, but I remember some sub 60 degree years that were pretty brutal.
  • Options
    I've got nothing of value for your thread but did get a good chuckle out of your signature line (sorry about the injury).  Have a great race as you've been waiting for this one all year it appears.
  • Options
    I posted in another thread that I swam yesterday in TTL- water temp 64.  The temps this week are not going down, and lows next weekend are actually a couple of degrees higher.  I am expecting 64 or 65 degree lake temp race day
  • Options
    Another option to consider, depending upon your finances, is the Arizona Athlete VIP Program. Some of the benefits include VIP lounge at Tempe Beach Park (thurs-monday), expedited registration check-in, and early bike check-in on Saturday.